Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teenagers Car Insurance

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is it legal to insure the car in her mothers name (I don't drive) then add the daughter as named driver? Or does that not keep the premium down?

Edit: posted at the same time as Edna's post above :laugh:

As Edna says, they are shit-hot on this now, and if they find out the primary driver name is not the actual main driver, they will not pay out a cent.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I work for an Insurance company - although not directly involved with teh motor calims side of things i quite often see the MI around the claims profiles and i can see why young drivers are hit with high premiums. It's a case of looking around and biting the bullet for a couple of years whilst building up the NCB.

Also as Tricky Dicky says above the financial crime departments are all over the parents insuring it caliming they are the main driver when actually teh son or daughter is - It's basically insurance fraud as you are knowingly misleading the insurance company for your own financial gain.

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
forge the documents.....insurance is based on fear and ends up being invested into the worst things this planet can offer.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
forge the documents.....insurance is based on fear and ends up being invested into the worst things this planet can offer.

That'll work when the police check the natuional data base.... Or you do actually crash and aren't covered. Do you really want to be responsible for another persons PI claim?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That'll work when the police check the natuional data base.... Or you do actually crash and aren't covered. Do you really want to be responsible for another persons PI claim?

Indeed - he'll lose his house if he gets hit with a £1m PI claim when not insured.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Accepting for older people that they have assets to lose if an uninsured PI claim hits them. I'm puzzelled by the fines that uninsured drivers are hit with. A 17 year old doesn't typically have much asset value to claim against and when the fine is a few hundres quid + unpaid insurance + 3 points - that must looked like a good bet to save £2k on the insurance in a £500 motor.

I'd like to see a five-year ban for no insurance - that would bite.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can I just make it clear, especially with a member of the constabulary contributing to this thread, I WILL NOT be going down the "insure it in mother's name" route :laugh:

And thanks for the advice all :thumbsup:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Accepting for older people that they have assets to lose if an uninsured PI claim hits them. I'm puzzelled by the fines that uninsured drivers are hit with. A 17 year old doesn't typically have much asset value to claim against and when the fine is a few hundres quid + unpaid insurance + 3 points - that must looked like a good bet to save £2k on the insurance in a £500 motor.

I'd like to see a five-year ban for no insurance - that would bite.

It's one of those problems you'll never erradicate the figures around offenders being caught with no insurance and reoffending are very high, they just don't car - so a ban is unlikely to stop them driving- however a year in the slammer may put a few off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
going to classic car route might not mean a tatty old banger. nice original Beetles can be had decent price. i believe you can get mk1 and mk2 Golfs on classic car insurance, which goes up to J/1991.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Insurance is expensive for everyone these days. I'm 35, have never had an accident and with 9+ years no claims, yet the best quote I got this year was for £760, although I do live in a postcode with high car crime. Only real solution if she can't afford it is to put off buying her own car for a few years :-(

Jesus,that seems high for your age,I'm 40 and my insurance is only £200 fully comp.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
My daughter passed her test (at 18) this time last year - she bought a 1.2 Clio and paid £700 with Admiral to insure it - her boyfriend who's 20 has a 1.2 Corsa and he pays £1850 for insurance - moral of the story - it pays to have daughters ;o)

BB

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My daughter passed her test (at 18) this time last year - she bought a 1.2 Clio and paid £700 with Admiral to insure it

Nice one BB - that's the sort of car she's looking at and our initial searches have not found anything under 4 figures so far :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
insurance is based on fear and ends up being invested into the worst things this planet can offer.

you mean like payouts to policy holders? maybe paying for the victims of disasters to rebuild their homes and lives? oh the horror!

Jan 30, 2008
18 year old daughter just passed her driving test this morning and has money left to her by her gran to get a car.

We are slowly discovering the astronomical price of teenagers car insurance. Anyone got any recommendations for good companies?
where have you been hiding for the last 5 years :dunce:

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I havent read all the posts but
add as many named drivers as possible with good no claims etc, they don't actually have to drvie the car, this seems to bring the cost down, saved me £200.
Admiral seem the best at the moment
Im 29, have 8 years driving without any points, claims etc, had my own insurance for 3 years from 2004 -2006 and have been a named driver on my wifes policy for the last 5 years as we only had one car.
Just bought a new car - golf tsi sport 140 - direct line quoted me £1100, best i could get was admiral, 10 months accelerated no claims deal for £660.
Its a joke, i've driven every day, all over europe for years without any claims but as a named driver with different companies it doesn't count for sh*t.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My son wrote off his first car within 8 hours , on the 2nd car the gearbox and clutch went after 3 months , now on his 3rd car the fully comp insurance is £2750 which wont go down much next year after a minor shunt in the Asda car park at Scunny last October.

I think we are all aware of your sons driving experience from a previous thread!!:lolol::lolol:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Son passed last week. (Aged 17)

Whilst learning he drove wife's car (Ford KA)

This added approx £100 per month to her premium.

Now's he passed, this actually stays the same, he is a named driver on her policy (it is her car, not his so different scenerio to OP)

He does however start to accrue his own no claims discount.

Having their own car (and therefore their own policy) at that age is just too costly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here