Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teenagers Car Insurance

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
My Son aged 19 his first car is a Classic Mini £1200, ok, not every bodies taste. He went to a classic car insurer (They normally say over 25's, but thats advertising speel they will do youngsters if you phone and ask), he had to join a local miniclub, fit an alarm and has mileage up to 15k, he pays £450 per year can't remeber if TPFT of Fully comp. Anyway two of his mates also run old classics, Triumph Hearld and MG, both are paying similar amounts. There is a trade off with reliability, but at least he's learning how to maintain a car and cheap insurance.
Mentioned this as a possibility in the near future to my daughter who is desparate to learn / pass as soon as possible after turning 17. Strangely though she doesn't seem thrilled with the idea of borrowing my 37 year old (and tatty) Spitfire

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Most important thing however you insure it is tell her not to crash under any circumstances in the first year, if she doesn't insurance price should roughly half after the first year (mine did anyway).

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
When i was 19, 14 years ago with 1 years NCB I bought an Uno Turbo and it cost me then £1200 to insure it i dread to think what the equivalent would be now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm guessing certain car types would cause the premium to rocket.

Judging by the number of young lads I regularly witness driving like absolute STROKERS in Citroen Saxos, I would like to think the insurance companies are getting to the point where they say "Yes, that will be £2000 please, third party only" to these individuals when they phone up.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
18 year old daughter just passed her driving test this morning and has money left to her by her gran to get a car.

We are slowly discovering the astronomical price of teenagers car insurance. Anyone got any recommendations for good companies?

I remember when I passed my test in 1992. First car I got was a Toyota Corrola. My Insurance was 700 a year and that was just for third party only lol. On top of that it was a complete rust busket.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Be careful how you go about that though.

I've seen cases where the parents have got the car insured in their name to push the price down and added the new driver as a named driver.

Insurance companies tend to expect the policyholder to be the main driver and are wising up to this by voiding policies or declining claims because they've found out the policyholder never drives the car.

So long as you do it the way you've suggested, ie having the new driver as the policyholder then adding Mum or whoever as a named driver, some companies will accept it and reduce the cost a bit, but the other way around is considered dodgy.

Yes that's what I meant, as long as the teenager is the main policy holder there is no problem with adding on parents as named drivers. I still do this with Elephant and even now I am 27 it still reduces the cost of my insurance premium.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My son wrote off his first car within 8 hours , on the 2nd car the gearbox and clutch went after 3 months , now on his 3rd car the fully comp insurance is £2750 which wont go down much next year after a minor shunt in the Asda car park at Scunny last October.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My grandson is 21 and lives in the city centre in Birmingham.
His insurance on a car valued at £500 is £2500 per annum!

I think I will look on ebay for a cheap "classic" car for him - looks like a good route to go as he loves tinkering under the bonnet. Could well kill 2 birds with one stone

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Young Marmalade has been suggested to me by a friend recently, but I haven't look into them seriously yet so cannot comments on prices or anything but may be work a look

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Insure it yourself and add her as a named driver, i thought thats the way everyone did it nowadays.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just re-iterating the above, buy something old, cheap and insurance group 1. Some Insurance companies give good discounts for pass plus, also you can get some sort of tracker fitted that then operates within given hours (no night driving) and this will bring premiums down a bit.

I did read in the last couple of weeks that the biggest killer of teenage girls is their teenage boyfriends' driving, so i think anything that lessens the risk (high premiums, 6 points within 2 years, curfews) are all good things.

Oh, and my Insurance is £170 fully comp on a group 18 car :thumbsup: One of the only advantages to being 50 :down:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My son wrote off his first car within 8 hours , on the 2nd car the gearbox and clutch went after 3 months , now on his 3rd car the fully comp insurance is £2750 which wont go down much next year after a minor shunt in the Asda car park at Scunny last October.

I was wondering when you'd pop in to say hello: I notice your son is steering clear of this thread so far :lolol:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I'm guessing certain car types would cause the premium to rocket.

Judging by the number of young lads I regularly witness driving like absolute STROKERS in Citroen Saxos, I would like to think the insurance companies are getting to the point where they say "Yes, that will be £2000 please, third party only" to these individuals when they phone up.

Are there still many Saxos around? I bought a brand new Saxo VTS 10 years ago when i was 24 first year had free insurance luckily the by second year i already had built up 5 or 6 years no claims but even then the price was £500 fully comp.

The VTR was the one for the real idiots as it was only insurance group 7 where as the faster VTS was 14.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My first car (in about 1996 I think) was a Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre. I'm pretty sure it cost me about £500 per year to insure, fully comp, which I thought was a fortune back then, then again I had male friends of the same age who were paying double that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are there still many Saxos around? I bought a brand new Saxo VTS 10 years ago when i was 24 first year had free insurance luckily the by second year i already had built up 5 or 6 years no claims but even then the price was £500 fully comp.

I work at Gatwick, which is sufficiently near to Crawley to be able to confidently say, yes, there are still LOADS of Saxos around. Usually roaring up to the 24 hour McDonald's car park at midnight, filled with local herberts and a sound system that costs more than the car.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Saxo's definitely the choice of the herbert as they are cheap to pick one up these days - still thought the VTs was teh hot hatch of the late nineties though. I take the smallest consolation that when i had mine they had only really just coem out there for most real herberts couldn't afford them.
They were however always destined to become the chav boy racers car of choice.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I was wondering when you'd pop in to say hello: I notice your son is steering clear of this thread so far :lolol:

He is still asleep at the moment but is looking forward to getting paid next Friday when he will have enough money to buy 2 wheels for his car which has been sat on the drive since a puncture (spare wasn't repaired after a puncture coming back from Carlisle :ohmy: the front passenger wheel got kerbed in November and tyre subsequently punctured after getting stuck in snow and ice at the top of our road last month). The cheapest option is to get 2 wheels from a scrapyard.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
May not have been mentioned before but for my first years insurance I was with Elephant who had a 'fast track no claims' basically you got a years no claims bonus on a 10 month policy. Think some other providers also offer this now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here