Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teenagers Car Insurance

Mar 13, 2008
Just been quoted £5,400 for a 1 litre peugeot 106 which, accordding to uswitch, are one of the cheapest cars to ensure.
Which are the cheapest cars to insure? Find out on uSwitch.com

Utter maddness. How can they possibly come to the conclusion that I am likely to cost them £5,400 in my first year of driving. Might just use the bus.

Last edited:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
This ruling us quite possibly the most ridiculous decision ever in European law. Insurance is based on RISK, young male drivers are HIGH RISK so pay high premiums. I don't normally disagree with you Simster but in thud case your logic us SPASTIC! If there was a better way of doing it I'm sure someone would have made a mint by insuring young males cheaper than is done currently, it is a rather competitive market

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Again, I'd have no problem with this providing the insurance companies actually look further into the underlying factors surrounding life expectancy in retirement age on a case by case basis. There is no reason why a woman (or healthy man) should pay for a fat berk who has not done any exercise over the years and has abused his body for years by eating fry-ups daily and drinking ridiculous quantities of alchohol 4 times a week, or whatever.
If you are taking out life policies, then most will have health questionnaires and others will have actual medicals. In most that I have ever seen you have to declare any known conditions as material facts. If you don't, you run the risk of paying premiums for something that will never pay out.

Just been quoted £5,400 for a 1 litre peugeot 106 which, accordding to uswitch, are one of the cheapest cars to ensure.
Which are the cheapest cars to insure? Find out on uSwitch.com

I cannot believe that is the cheapest quote you can get. I teach driving and for 17yr olds in mid sussex, the most expensive quote so far has been about £2k. I know there are more expensive ones but £5.4k is taking the piss so shop around and don't rely on just one price comparison site.

Utter maddness. How can they possibly come to the conclusion that I am likely to cost them £5,400 in my first year of driving. Might just use the bus.

Mar 13, 2008
I cannot believe that is the cheapest quote you can get. I teach driving and for 17yr olds in mid sussex, the most expensive quote so far has been about £2k. I know there are more expensive ones but £5.4k is taking the piss so shop around and don't rely on just one price comparison site.
Not looked around yet that is just the quote from my current insurers to upgrade from a provisional to a full licence.

Sandaza's Nose

Jan 3, 2011
what GRINDS MY GEARS about car insuarnce companies is that the fuckers now ask "Have you been involved in a claim that was'nt your fault?", if you say YES they bump the f***ing price up even if it did'nt affect your no claims bonus.....thats bloody DISGUSTING IMO, fuckers should be found out about this by WATCHDOG or something. :angry:

THIS

Just over a year ago some dappy BINT smashed into the back of me when I was stationary at some traffic lights and wrote off my car (Which I had only bought a week before - don't get me started!). Admiral tried to DOUBLE my insurance even though it had been proven to have been her fault, because according to them, "I am statistically more likely to have an accident having been involved in one before." Absolute BOLLOCKS. The whole car insurance system needs looking at. These companies can charge whatever they like, safe in the knowledge that we all HAVE to have insurance so don't really have a choice.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This ruling us quite possibly the most ridiculous decision ever in European law. Insurance is based on RISK, young male drivers are HIGH RISK so pay high premiums.

This. 100% this.

Okay, this is an extreme example, but if risk is not a major part of insurance premiums, why can't Mrs P get life insurance without paying extortionate premiums just because she had breast cancer 9 years ago.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
THIS

Just over a year ago some dappy BINT smashed into the back of me when I was stationary at some traffic lights and wrote off my car (Which I had only bought a week before - don't get me started!). Admiral tried to DOUBLE my insurance even though it had been proven to have been her fault, because according to them, "I am statistically more likely to have an accident having been involved in one before." Absolute BOLLOCKS. The whole car insurance system needs looking at. These companies can charge whatever they like, safe in the knowledge that we all HAVE to have insurance so don't really have a choice.

On the face of it a nonsense I agree but statistically accurate. I have to disagree that they can charge what they like - if one company could provide cover for less money than the rest then they would rake it in but they don't because they can't. Just take a look at the motor book results for all the big insurers who are reporting results at the moment - car insurance is currently a great way to lose money with combined ratios (the cost of claims and expenses expressed as a proportion of premium of income) over 100% i.e. for every pound of premium collected more than one pound is paid out. As I've said before, the biggest single issue is the massively disproprtionate cost of personal injury claims and credit hire charges driven by accident and claims management companies, not the insurers. And don't get me started on this ridiculous sex discrimination thing...insurance is about risk and gender is a risk factor as is lifestyle which is why an application form for life insurance is so long because they need to know about the relevant aspects of your lifestyle.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This ruling us quite possibly the most ridiculous decision ever in European law. Insurance is based on RISK, young male drivers are HIGH RISK so pay high premiums.

auntie EU knows best. the risk doesn't matter, Brussels has spoken. we now live in a better, world with less discrimination.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I'm 23 and have just bought my first car - once I pass my test (hopefully in 4 weeks' time) my insurance will be £760 for a 1.1 litre.

What I don't get is that why will insurance companies be able to discriminate against age now, if they can't discriminate against gender? Even my insurance excess is "250 more expensive as I'm under 25! Surely the idea of "risk" is now null and void?

Sorry if this has already been covered!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On the face of it a nonsense I agree but statistically accurate. I have to disagree that they can charge what they like - if one company could provide cover for less money than the rest then they would rake it in but they don't because they can't.

i'd love to know how this squares with the fact every time i phone round (or now, use gothemeerkat) i find price differences over twice as much as the cheapest? clearly they are using different margins and presumably different pricing on risk? some want my business, some don't unless i pay alot more. if insurance where truly competitive, prices would move towards a much narrower range, like say home electronics do.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Put your parents on your insurance - putting my mum on mine saved me over £100 - but I've heard of people saving even more.

Careful there bag - if you read the whole thread, you will find that in some circumstances that's slightly illegal :eek:

Careful there bag - if you read the whole thread, you will find that in some circumstances that's slightly illegal :eek:

As far as I'm aware it's in no way illegal to have your parents as named drivers on your own insurance (which is what bag is suggesting, and does save money in many cases, as the insurer assumes that this means you will be driving the car less of the time!). What is illegal is having your car insured in your parents name with you as a named driver, as the insurance is meant to be in the name of the person who will drive the car the most.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
I know this is of topic but i'm a 41 year old taxi driver and my insurance has gone from £86 a month to £168 a month and i've done nothing wrong to deserve it nearly doubling in price i've got to sell the taxi because i can't afford to run two taxi's with everything going up like diesel,tax and insurance :(

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
As far as I'm aware it's in no way illegal to have your parents as named drivers on your own insurance (which is what bag is suggesting, and does save money in many cases, as the insurer assumes that this means you will be driving the car less of the time!). What is illegal is having your car insured in your parents name with you as a named driver, as the insurance is meant to be in the name of the person who will drive the car the most.

Fair enough - I misread what bag wrote and thought she meant what you said is illegal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How does this using an older person on the insurance work with eg me owning and using the car at weekends and Ben, when he is old enough borrowing it Mon - Fri to get to and from college.

Surely if I own and insure the car I can lend it to Ben to use when ever I choose.

How does this using an older person on the insurance work with eg me owning and using the car at weekends and Ben, when he is old enough borrowing it Mon - Fri to get to and from college.

Surely if I own and insure the car I can lend it to Ben to use when ever I choose.

I think (from memory of when it applied to me) the policy normally defines it in terms of mileage, but I'd check the small print very carefully. If he's named on the insurance then of course you can lend him the car whenever you wish; but if he has a big accident, and it emerges that he is the primary user of the car but the insurance is not in his name the insurance company can use it as a get out clause.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
My son is 16 and had lots of op's on his legs so he is registered disabled and can pass his driving test at 16 how much would the insurance be for him thats scarey

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
There is another way.... just place a bond of 1 million quid with HM Treasury to indemnify yourself against third party liabilities and hey presto! no more motor insurance required for you. And if you are 17 years old, this will probably be cheaper lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here