Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Team GB men’s football team for LA 2028?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
The British Olympic Association wants a Great Britain men’s football team competing at the 2028 Los Angeles Games. Andy Anson, the BOA’s chief executive, said he “dearly wanted it to happen” and it is understood the Football Association is keen.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...-mens-football-team-los-angeles-olympics-2028

Jason Steele for GB again? Unlikely.

js.png

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Bin off football in the Olympics and change it to Futsal or 5/6 aside similar to what rugby does
Horseshit.

Of course the biggest, most famous and most played sports must be at the Olympics!

Plenty of exciting games and good football in this tournament, as is usually the case.

Just because you can't win in it doesn't mean it should be removed. With some 98% certainty the football tournament has spread more joy and excitement than some of the 483 rowing or sailing events that few in here would suggest removing...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Horseshit.

Of course the biggest, most famous and most played sports must be at the Olympics!

Plenty of exciting games and good football in this tournament, as is usually the case.

Just because you can't win in it doesn't mean it should be removed. With some 98% certainty the football tournament has spread more joy and excitement than some of the 483 rowing or sailing events that few in here would suggest removing...
Why must it be? Football has the World Cup, the euros, African nations etc there is no need for it at the Olympics.
It’s a tournament out on its own away from the main Olympics and the games would cope perfectly fine without it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bin off football in the Olympics and change it to Futsal or 5/6 aside similar to what rugby does
Listening to TS earlier, there will seemingly be flag American football at the LA games, both men's and women's. "Blue 32, Blue 32, hut, hut!"

As a lover of the beautiful game (US Football) even I can't get on board with this one, but I'm in purely for how much outrage it will cause on Staid Old Gits Stand Chat
:lolol: :amex: :rock:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Why must it be? Football has the World Cup, the euros, African nations etc there is no need for it at the Olympics.
It’s a tournament out on its own away from the main Olympics and the games would cope perfectly fine without it.
This is the case for literally every sport. There's surely some sort of World Rowing Championship so I guess there's no need for it at the Olympics?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This is the case for literally every sport. There's surely some sort of World Rowing Championship so I guess there's no need for it at the Olympics?
You might have a point if olympic gold was the ultimate prize in football like it is rowing or the majority of Olympic sports.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
And basketball too. Absolutely makes a mockery of the Olympic "amateur" principle.
You do realise this principle is ultra-mega-dead and has been for about 40 years? How many of your gold medalists do you think are going home to some customer service job or whatever?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Football in the Olympics is shit and the concept of a British team is shit. Olympic football is a poor man's World Cup, I didn't watch one single minute.

The Olympics would be better off without 11 a side football altogether. Following Rugby 7s is the way to go - a 5 / 6 a side tournament would be unique, have shorter matches, not f**k up off season preparation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here