Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Team GB men’s football team for LA 2028?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Us and The West Indies can't compete at cricket as we are at LA, so if football follows suit for GB never mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This. Get rid of football, golf and tennis. They shouldn't be Olympic sports.
And bring in (topless) darts, (trouserless) snooker and shove 1.25 penny

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Shouldn't we be concentrating on winning the 2028 Euros, rather than worrying about the Olympic football tournament.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Football at the Olympics is like having omelette and chips from the Chinese, you’re being massively unadventurous in a world of better options when you can get a better version of the boring thing literally anywhere else

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Which shit N. Ireland, Scotland and Wales players will they shoehorn into the team to keep everyone happy?
I thought, perhaps wrongly, that Great Britain wouldn't enter a team because of issues with FIFA voting rights and other nations who say we should play as one anyway.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Removing football from a tournament that is ALL ABOUT the best athletes competing in the biggest sports... If football isn't one of those sports, the whole existence of the Olympics is pointless. "Five-a-side" football and the other shit suggested here could perhaps turn it more "interesting", but that as a freak show rather than the greatest sports event.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Removing football from a tournament that is ALL ABOUT the best athletes competing in the biggest sports... If football isn't one of those sports, the whole existence of the Olympics is pointless. "Five-a-side" football and the other shit suggested here could perhaps turn it more "interesting", but that as a freak show rather than the greatest sports event.
Completely, 100% disagree, but not going to waste time arguing about it. You'd just go on and on and on. :)

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Completely, 100% disagree, but not going to waste time arguing about it. You'd just go on and on and on. :)
You're right, I would probably answer to your arguments. Its called a discussion.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Little known fact concerning the rules of football.

The International Football Associations Board are the custodians of the rules.

There are 8 members, 4 of which are permanent- the nations of the UK.

So no football rules can be changed without the say so of at least two UK nations (6 have to agree)

The year Albion won the Charity Shield, the IFAB meeting was held at the Royal York Hotel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1.25 penny? That's almost a threepenny bit. Never catch on ...........................
Have I gone and multiplied instead of dividing again? :facepalm:

Thank goodness there are more senior folk online to keep me on my toes. Ahem.

Shove 0.208p. While wearing a dressing gown.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Little known fact concerning the rules of football.

The International Football Associations Board are the custodians of the rules.

There are 8 members, 4 of which are permanent- the nations of the UK.

So no football rules can be changed without the say so of at least two UK nations (6 have to agree)
No football rules will ever change, then. <sigh>

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No football rules will ever change, then. <sigh>
It's the reason why I wondered that we might reticent about having a UK team.

FIFA don't have to agree the changes, but they cannot change the rules without the UK being involved heavily in the decision. We invented the game, so if you try to do something we don't like we're taking our ball home.. (but not a trophy)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Football in the Olympics is shit and the concept of a British team is shit. Olympic football is a poor man's World Cup, I didn't watch one single minute.

The Olympics would be better off without 11 a side football altogether. Following Rugby 7s is the way to go - a 5 / 6 a side tournament would be unique, have shorter matches, not f**k up off season preparation.
Football has been at the Olympics longer than for diving and at more games than Boxing.

Let’s not forget the World Cup only started in 1930 and ended up usurping the original World Football Championship of the Olympic Games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's the reason why I wondered that we might reticent about having a UK team.

FIFA don't have to agree the changes, but they cannot change the rules without the UK being involved heavily in the decision. We invented the game, so if you try to do something we don't like we're taking our ball home.. (but not a trophy)
I seem to recall that recently it was exactly that. The squad would be 95% English if picked on merit. The squabbles have not been made fully public but I seem to recall that the jocks objected to a squad with only WBG in it. And the Welsh objected to any squad with an Ulsterman in it. And the Isle on Man simply objected.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Removing football from a tournament that is ALL ABOUT the best athletes competing in the biggest sports... If football isn't one of those sports, the whole existence of the Olympics is pointless. ....
I'm failing to see the validity of that argument, given that the tournament is for U-23 players (on the men's side).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm failing to see the validity of that argument, given that the tournament is for U-23 players (on the men's side).
You are right. Olympic football is not a competition between the best in the world.

But why should this be? In the Olympics?

Having an Olympic sport with an age limit is absurd.

We already have an Olympics with restrictions. It starts in just under 2 weeks and is called the Paralympics. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here