Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for SOUTHAMPTON

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'd keep the midfield three as I think it worked well, but switch to two up front as against a better team we'd probably be caught at the back.

--------------Henderson---------
---Hinshelwood--McShane--Butters---
Hart----------------------------------Lynch
------Reid--Carpenter--Hammond-----
------Noel-Williams--Kazim-Richards----

Subs:
Dodd
Mayo
Carole/Frutos
Robinson
Gatting

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For once Magoo. Just once...pretty pretty please DO NOT change a winning side.

Same as Millwall (Injuries/suspensions permitting).

Go on I DARE YOU.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Maybe swap Hart for Frutos but otherwise keep the same side.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's going to be an interesting one tactically. I think the best way to play against Southampton is to get an early goal and sit on it. They love passing it about but can't break teams that well.

They'll play Fuller and Rasiak up front. Rasiak wins a lot in the air and it wouldn't suprise me to see Guy return to deal with him. Fuller is also an ariel threat but reasonably quick too. A McShane jobby.

However, if you do that, you cant play 4-3-3 and you risk a repeat of the Luton game. The 3-5-2 would work in terms of neutralising Fuller/Rasiak and having a good midfield battle where they're quite strong. However, again, we wouldn't have 3 up front (although maybe 3 up front has lost its suprise now that we've used it so succesfully and thats been seen in the press.

With 4-4-2 you'd in all likely hood have Frutos on the left - who isn't the best defencivly. I wouldn't like too see Nathan Dyer vs Frutos/Lynch!

I'm tempted to stick with 4-3-3 again as I recon thats the best way to hurt them. They're fullbacks are good so an extra man would help.

So same as last week but if we get the lead - 4-4-2 - Dodd on for Lynch - Butters on for El-Abd (Hinsh RB) and Hammond left mid. Kazim dropping behind Gifton.

D

Deleted member 2719

Assuming they are all fit it must be the same side.

Mc Ghee don't even think about it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
For once Magoo. Just once...pretty pretty please DO NOT change a winning side.

Same as Millwall (Injuries/suspensions permitting).

Go on I DARE YOU.

Part of the reason why we played that formation was because he studied Millwall's shape/formation.

I hope McGhee does his job as manager and looks at the Saints' tactics/shape rather than just do the mindless thing and play the same team regardless.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Stick with the same team. To change it would be madness.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Part of the reason why we played that formation was because he studied Millwall's shape/formation.

I hope McGhee does his job as manager and looks at the Saints' tactics/shape rather than just do the mindless thing and play the same team regardless.

Seems you are the only one who thinks this.

I believe most managers agree you dont change a winning side.

Time to actually let the opposition worry about US. We ARE at home in case you hadnt noticed.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Same Starting line-up, but with Turienzo on the bench he is in reasonable form and still an unknown quantitiy

Worth a shot

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

Time to actually let the opposition worry about US. We ARE at home in case you hadnt noticed.

I have to say I agree with LI's basic sentiment, it would be stupid of MM to blindly play exactly the same formation from last week because it will be against a team who have different tactics. However there is certainly no need to change the personnel, but tweek the tactics so as to maximise the chances we have of exploiting their style of play.

Very naive comments. Bluster like that doesn't win football games, detailed tactical analysis does.

That's what McGhee did with Millwall. He noticed that their wing-back/flank players played very advanced and hence there would leave space for our 3 up front to operate in. Southampton may pack their players in different parts of the pitch and render such a shape by us less effective.

It is the JOB of managers like McGhee to figure this out and plan accordingly.

It is interesting to read comments by informed supporters that try and anticipate these discussions. I direct you to the informed comments of Turkey on this thread as a model for you to follow.

On the other hand, your idea that Southampton with their squad including the likes of Rasiak should be "worried" about us is 1066 talk.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Very naive comments. Bluster like that doesn't win football games, detailed tactical analysis does.

That's what McGhee did with Millwall. He noticed that their wing-back/flank players played very advanced and hence there would leave space for our 3 up front to operate in. Southampton may pack their players in different parts of the pitch and render such a shape by us less effective.

It is the JOB of managers like McGhee to figure this out and plan accordingly.

It is interesting to read comments by informed supporters that try and anticipate these discussions. I direct you to the informed comments of Turkey on this thread as a model for you to follow.

On the other hand, your idea that Southampton with their squad including the likes of Rasiak should be "worried" about us is 1066 talk.

So in that case why have we only won 6 games this season if Magoo is such a great tactician? Or was it due to the fact that Millwall didnt really turn up?

You will find that in FOOTBALL most teams worry about the opposition when they play away. Like Magoo did against Millwall and like Burley should against us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here