Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team for SOUTHAMPTON

E

enigma

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Seems you are the only one who thinks this.

I believe most managers agree you dont change a winning side.

Time to actually let the opposition worry about US. We ARE at home in case you hadnt noticed.

Your thinking sums up for me why England has very few decent coaches, their concept of tactics and changing them accordingly is virtually non existent.Yes, you should try and stick to the same tactics within reason, but it becomes easier to counter if you do this. unless you have a brilliant team like Barcelona. Magoo used a particular system at Millwall becuase of the way they are set out, if we were playing Reading this week would you advocate playing the same system?

Look at Arsenal- they employ different systems in Europe and the Premier League, because of the different teams they face.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Very naive comments. Bluster like that doesn't win football games, detailed tactical analysis does.

That's what McGhee did with Millwall. He noticed that their wing-back/flank players played very advanced and hence there would leave space for our 3 up front to operate in. Southampton may pack their players in different parts of the pitch and render such a shape by us less effective.

It is the JOB of managers like McGhee to figure this out and plan accordingly.

It is interesting to read comments by informed supporters that try and anticipate these discussions. I direct you to the informed comments of Turkey on this thread as a model for you to follow.

On the other hand, your idea that Southampton with their squad including the likes of Rasiak should be "worried" about us is 1066 talk.

Now LI I'm not really having a go, more just a question. You talk sense, and everything you say in that argument stands up, so why did you have to make that belittling comment about following the model set by Turkey's thread? When what you say is well thought out and makes sense surely there is no need to make such a condescending, dare I say spiteful, comment.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I quoted rather than edited myself, my apologise.:blush:

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
So in that case why have we only won 6 games this season if Magoo is such a great tactician? Or was it due to the fact that Millwall didnt really turn up?

You will find that in FOOTBALL most teams worry about the opposition when they play away. Like Magoo did against Millwall and like Burley should against us.

We are not successful in this league because we don't have the money or squad to compete, that is the reason, not the manager.

Just repeating your point that Burley should be afraid of the mighty Albion doesn't advance your argument at all really.

It may be the case that playing 4-3-3 with the same players might be the right way to go, but you are going to have to stretch yourself and think of some tactical reasons why.

Will our 3 up front get the space to operate in that they got at Millwall? Will our 3 in midfield cope with superior numbers in midfield by the Saints? Is Lynch the right choice against Dyer, given the winning goal at St Mary's? All these questions you could ask, and many more, and there is a danger this might turn into an interesting thread.

Les Biehn said:
Now LI I'm not really having a go, more just a question. You talk sense, and everything you say in that argument stands up, so why did you have to make that belittling comment about following the model set by Turkey's thread? When what you say is well thought out and makes sense surely there is no need to make such a condescending, dare I say spiteful, comment.

There you go again Les distracting the subject of this thread, as you do in so many others. Why are you obsessed with discussing me rather than the Albion? This, by the way, will be my last reply to you on this subject, I don't want to ruin another thread and sincerely hope others will stick to the subject of tomorrow's game.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The reason I ask is because I enjoy reading your posts up until the point you spoil it by picking on someone. By doing this you spoil the post because people start avoid giving their opinion through fear of someone of your intellect ripping out on them.

You say others ruin the thread by not concentrating on football, or making stupid statements, do you not think belittling people also contributes to the spoiling of the thread.

I think you will agree that on the subject of the albion I tend to give a fairly constructive, balanced view, the only time I really go off topic on these threads is to ask you why you are picking on people because I don't think you need to. If you don't want to answer that fine, I feel I have been reasonable on this thread in terms of broaching this subject with you.

I will refrain from posting any comments on what you say or the way that you say it (positive and negative).

D

Deleted member 2719

London Irish said:
We are not successful in this league because we don't have the money or squad to compete, that is the reason, not the manager.

Just repeating your point that Burley should be afraid of the mighty Albion doesn't advance your argument at all really.

It may be the case that playing 4-3-3 with the same players might be the right way to go, but you are going to have to stretch yourself and think of some tactical reasons why.

Will our 3 up front get the space to operate in that they got at Millwall? Will our 3 in midfield cope with superior numbers in midfield by the Saints? Is Lynch the right choice against Dyer, given the winning goal at St Mary's? All these questions you could ask, and many more, and there is a danger this might turn into an interesting thread.

It is obvious that Saints have some dangerous players that can do some damage.

But i would like to see us start in 4-3-3 formation and see if we can't nick a early goal if we can not handle them we would have to revert 4-4-2 but this is another must win game let's ride on saturdays performance rather than hide from them.

And get the Withdean rocking!!

:mexican:

E

enigma

London Irish said:

Nail on the head. Sadly, they wont be asked.

Les Biehn said:
I will refrain from posting any comments on what you say or the way that you say it (positive and negative).

Thank you!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
i would like to see us start in 4-3-3 formation and see if we can't nick a early goal if we can not handle them we would have to revert 4-4-2 but this is another must win game let's ride on saturdays performance rather than hide from them.

I agree. I think the best way to approach this is exactly the same way we approached Millwall. We need to get an early goal.

The fear is that we don't get that early goal. I'm not convinced we can get away with 4-3-3 for 90 minutes.

I imagine many will go crazy and say sack McGhee if what I say happens but if 4-3-3 doesn't work for us a 4-5-1 would probably by my next means of attack. Preferebly with the central three and two attacking central midfielders in front. If we can stop them playing in midfield we can reduce the service to Rasiak and Fuller and win the game.

el-abd hinsh mcshane lynch
reid carpenter hammond
kazim Frutos
Noel-Williams

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Turkey said:

reid carpenter hammond
kazim Frutos
Noel-Williams

I like that idea, naturally both those players will probably drift wide. If fruity isnt fit hart can always play up with gifton with CKR just behind or he could play behind gifton with CKR. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 2719

Turkey said:
I agree. I think the best way to approach this is exactly the same way we approached Millwall. We need to get an early goal.

The fear is that we don't get that early goal. I'm not convinced we can get away with 4-3-3 for 90 minutes.

I imagine many will go crazy and say sack McGhee if what I say happens but if 4-3-3 doesn't work for us a 4-5-1 would probably by my next means of attack. Preferebly with the central three and two attacking central midfielders in front. If we can stop them playing in midfield we can reduce the service to Rasiak and Fuller and win the game.

reid carpenter hammond
kazim Frutos
Noel-Williams

Am i right in saying Burley's side like to play football on the deck?

Your 4-5-1 may well stifle them but i hope MM doesn't jump to quickly to that maybe if we are 1 up and they are starting to look dangerous it is worth doing.

The main thing is for CKR, GNW and hart
to be causing them all sorts of trouble switching around etc.

Come on Albion we need 150% of effort and the never say die spirit for 90+ minutes tomorrow.

:ascarf: :ascarf:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
For me, 4-3-3 is still the way to go. Although it is unquestionably important to try and prepare for your opponents in the way you set out your team, you can take this too far.

In fact, I don't think it was three up front at Millwall, rather 4-3-1-2, with Harty sweeping behind the front two and competing for everything. I see no reason to change that; the system brought us our best performance in six months or more, and the players will doubtless have some confidence in it. At this stage of the season, mental strength is as important as natural ability, and i think they'll benefit from having some faith shown in them.

Rasiak's big, but he's not that good in the air - his flicks can be aimless, and it's the second ball that needs to be won; along with coping with Fuller's agility and unpredictability, that's why I think McShane and Hinsh are still the best pairing.

There's no-one I'd change from last week's line-up; tactically, we need to take the lead, then Harty can be switched back into an orthodox midfield role, with Hammond or Reid left, to make us a tougher proposition defensively.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Repugnant Toad said:
For me, 4-3-3 is still the way to go. Althoughit is unquestionably important to try and prepare for your opponents in the way you set out your team, you can take this too far.

In fact, I don't think it was three up front at Millwall, rather 4-3-1-2, with Harty sweeping behind the front two and competing for everything. I see no reason to change that; the system brought us our best performance in six months or more, and the players will doubtless have some confidence in it. At this stage of the season, mental strength is as important as natural ability, and i think they'll benefit from having some faith shown in them.

Rasiak's big, but he's not that good in the air - his flicks can be aimless, and it's the second ball that needs to be won; along with coping with Fuller's agility and unpredictability, that's why I think McShane and Hinsh are still the best pairing.

There's no-one I'd change from last week's line-up; tactically, we need to take the lead, then Harty can be switched back into an orthodox midfield role, with Hammond or Reid left, to make us a tougher proposition defensively.

Let's just hope MM is taking notes!!

;)

Last week's game was set up as an attacking extravaganza, a bit like two clapped-out heavyweight boxers determined to knock each other out in the first round because they didn't fancy their chances of a long fight. Luckily, we landed the two knockout punches before Millwall.

I have a hunch tomorrow will be very different. I can't see Burley other than playing a very tight shape. I worry that we may get caught out unless we are similarly patient.

My gamble would be to match their 4-4-2 shape, and trust the extra class that GNW gives us up front to prove decisive.

Perhaps I am just cautious by nature, but if we lose an early goal by being overrun in midfield, Withdean will go as flat as a pancake and that will be that.

I would keep our back 4 from last week, add Carole to our midfield 3 and drop CKR to the bench.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Considering Saints.

4-4-2.

Nathan Dyer is a doubt with a bruised leg. They've got Madsen out on the right to accomodate Fuller. A striker on the right wing. We could try to take advantage of that by playing Frutos/Carole on the left or using the wing back system with Lynch.

Higginbotham and Kenton are both injured giving them a problem in defence. It'll be Lundekvam and Craine/Powell. I'd really fancy Noel-Williams chances up against Craine.

Baird Lundekvam Powell Brennan

Madsen Chaplow Wright Surman

Fuller Rasiak

Although there's every chance Belmadi could play right/left wing or Pahars could be drifted in.

I think CKR would give Powell shit loads of problems if Saints push on. Noel-Williams will keep Claus busy.

Surman is a youngster, quite quick and fresh. I'd fancy Harty against him as you just need to work really hard against Surman to battle him out of the game.

Chaplow is box to box. We'll need to keep a close eye on him. Wright is more likely to sit in the middle and link it up.

Both 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 can hurt Saints. I think the weakness are found on the wings and central defence. You can counter that by 4-4-2 (Frutos/Carole) but I think the gamble should be 4-3-3. You'd need Hammond to work his arse off by keeping tabs on Chaplow but then breaking quickly down the left and Reid linking with El-Abd to get down the right side. You'd also need Hart and Kazim to work their arses off closing down the full backs (part 1 of their passing game).

It's gotta be a 4-3-3/4-5-1 job in my eyes.

Can't wait for the game. Come on!!

Good thoughts. Be fascinating to see what McGhee does now! Hope Dyer doesn't make it, he is raw but he scares the shit out of me given his ability at St Mary's to find so many holes in our midfield.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
Am i right in saying Burley's side like to play football on the deck?

Your 4-5-1 may well stifle them but i hope MM doesn't jump to quickly to that maybe if we are 1 up and they are starting to look dangerous it is worth doing.

Yeah they are a passing side. Although they do mix it up a bit with long balls into the channels for Rasiak and Fuller who'll then be supported by the wingers cutting inside.

I completly agree that we should look to take it to them rather than try to stop them. Another draw won't really help us.

One concern is that they can very easily switch to 4-3-3 as well. Madsen on the right wing is a striker really. If they do that how do we react? It could put us on the back foot. Thinking about it though with Reid and Hart on we could easily switch to 3 center back and Hart/Reid as wing backs.

I'm convinced we have the players to win this one. 4-3-3 again. Get Kazim/Hart hounding their defence to break up their passing. I reckon we have the sort of players who can make the most of their weaknesses. I just hope Burley doesn't think that and play ultra defencive.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
London Irish said:
Good thoughts. Be fascinating to see what McGhee does now! Hope Dyer doesn't make it, he is raw but he scares the shit out of me given his ability at St Mary's to find so many holes in our midfield.

He's been out of form and out of favour recently. He played in the FA Youth Cup game against Liverpool and was shit. I doubt he'll play. Which is great news because when he's at his best he's brilliant. Superb skill to beat Lynch for the winner at St Marys.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
North Stand Chat in Orthodox Football Discussion Shock!!!

To go two goals up in the 11 mins at TND was brilliant, and I think Burley will be saying keep it tight, and try and catch us on the break in the first half in the expectation that we pile forwards again.

To do the same again would be brilliant, but we need to find a different way of doing it. I agree that playing GNW through the middle with two pushing on from a five man midfield could cause them problems, expecially as they will have had to change their personnel. If we can force them to keep their midfield and defence quite tight through occupying that space between, then they may struggle to get the ball forwards.

Best people for this in my opinion - Hart and CKR. Hart works his socks off and will apply pressure, and CKR is happy to have a dig from range if he gets on the end of a GNW knock-down or two. I know GNW put in the cross for the 1st goal at Millwall, but I wouldn't want to see him drift wide too much.

Am I supposed to abuse someone now?

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here