Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers' strike this week

I am a teacher who has chosen to strike on Thursday. While I believe the wage that I am paid is ok, the issue that the NUT have is the pay rise for the next 3 years being well below inflation, hence the value of being a teacher is decreasing.

Added to that the work load (sorry to sound repetitive) which is massive and the fact that I am unable to have any chance of getting on the property ladder, I decided to go on strike.

I love the job and would never want to do anything else and do feel guilty about the choice of myself and the minority of others in my school leading to closure. However I do think that sometimes difficult decisions have to be made and this in my view is an example.

Just to clarify an earlier point about non-strikers being expected to turn up to school when the school is closed - yes this is true that they will not get paid if they don't. Those on strike will not be paid for the day.

Another argument of the NUT is that with the importance of the profession, the right wages are needed to attract the best quality graduates - at present I think I'm right in saying that teaching is a below average wage for graduates.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I am a teacher who has chosen to strike on Thursday. While I believe the wage that I am paid is ok, the issue that the NUT have is the pay rise for the next 3 years being well below inflation, hence the value of being a teacher is decreasing.

Added to that the work load (sorry to sound repetitive) which is massive and the fact that I am unable to have any chance of getting on the property ladder, I decided to go on strike.

I love the job and would never want to do anything else and do feel guilty about the choice of myself and the minority of others in my school leading to closure. However I do think that sometimes difficult decisions have to be made and this in my view is an example.

Just to clarify an earlier point about non-strikers being expected to turn up to school when the school is closed - yes this is true that they will not get paid if they don't. Those on strike will not be paid for the day.

Another argument of the NUT is that with the importance of the profession, the right wages are needed to attract the best quality graduates - at present I think I'm right in saying that teaching is a below average wage for graduates.

Is that you in your avatar?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

did you support the Teachers Assistants strike, or are you one of those who told them that they couldn't support them as it "affected the kids" ......seems like double standards as you expect them to support you lot

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a teacher myself I am not actually in favour of the strike. Ok, I work long days but so do others. I also get 13 weeks holiday a year so I think it takes the piss to moan about our occupation when most jobs get about 22 days holiday a year.

When you pro-rata an annual salary (taking into account the massive holidays) then it is a pretty decent wage if you ask me.

I agree with someone else on here who said tachers are moaning bastards, I cannot stand sitting in the staff room as most of the staff I work with do nothing but moan, moan moan.

It is a honour to teach, to work with students, to laugh everyday and no matter how hard it is you know that the next holiday is only round the corner.

Stop f***ing moaning and bloody enjoy one of the most rewarding jobs you could ever do.

I teach too, although slightly older people, and it's the greatest job on the planet.

Exams for my subject are this Friday, and the students contact me via Facebook, mobile phone, email and any other method they can think of. If anyone thinks I am going to shit on them the day before the exams they can f*** right off (I know my union are not involved in this one, but if they were, that would be my answer)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Have they always been called 'inset days'? Never heard that term before today, and now I've heard it twice, once at work and once on here. Whatever happened to tried and trusted STAFF TRAINING days? ???

In Dewsbury they are called incest days

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are you one of those people who can't understand how a teacher can't control an out of control 12 year old boy when they also have 25 other kids to control?

No. I`m one of those people who can`t understand why a teacher turns a blind eye to 13 year olds smoking on school grounds or wanders around when on lunch duty totally oblivious to the mess they are making.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes - I was in support of that - did I give the impression that I wasn't?

No, I was just interested as the support from the teachers was pathetic in the extreme!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Just send them in on Saturday to make up for it. Damn kids.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
As a teacher myself I am not actually in favour of the strike. Ok, I work long days but so do others. I also get 13 weeks holiday a year so I think it takes the piss to moan about our occupation when most jobs get about 22 days holiday a year.

When you pro-rata an annual salary (taking into account the massive holidays) then it is a pretty decent wage if you ask me.

I agree with someone else on here who said tachers are moaning bastards, I cannot stand sitting in the staff room as most of the staff I work with do nothing but moan, moan moan.

It is a honour to teach, to work with students, to laugh everyday and no matter how hard it is you know that the next holiday is only round the corner.

Stop f***ing moaning and bloody enjoy one of the most rewarding jobs you could ever do.

I'm a bit ambivilant, didn't vote in the ballot but was going to lose this day anyway to a non-timetabled creative curriculum day so instead of helping my year 11s to complete their coursework by Friday I was near enough ordered to accompany the year 8s on a trip to Herstmonceux.

Still think the NUT should have waited until after the exams, weather would be better for a day off too!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Have they always been called 'inset days'? Never heard that term before today, and now I've heard it twice, once at work and once on here. Whatever happened to tried and trusted STAFF TRAINING days? ???

INSET stands for IN SErvice Training. They were introduced by Kenneth Baker when he was education secretary, and are also known as Baker Days. Presumably any pay rise offered by the current education secretary woud be a Balls Up.

Anyway -- the current Mrs Of Pevensey Bay is a teacher in a state primary school in west London. She qualified pretty late -- she was 26 and had had a couple of other jobs in fancy libraries and in the media.

It absolutely knackers her. She starts at 7.30am, gets home at 6pm, then does two or three hours of work most nights, and on Sundays. She has reports, and frameworks, and targets coming out of her ears. Because she works in an inner London borough, she gets a bit extra -- I think her salary is around the £24k mark. I'm dead proud of her. But I wouldn't do it for double that salary. With the increasing cost of EVERYTHING, I think teachers are RIGHT to go on strike for more pay right now.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
INSET stands for IN SErvice Training. They were introduced by Kenneth Baker when he was education secretary, and are also known as Baker Days. Presumably any pay rise offered by the current education secretary woud be a Balls Up.

I like what you've done there...

I believe they were introduced alongside the NC in 1988, and stayed around ever since. They were a staple of my school life and always an added bonus because they would be in the middle of a term, therefore a nice diversion.

But from what I've heard, teachers hate them and would much rather be teaching than to have some bizarre/dull course on something or even worse, an expensive consultant telling them how to do their jobs better when they know that themselves..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here