Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers' strike this week

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
I am entering Teacher's College next year, and I would like to simply say that I understand how much behind the scenes work that is required for teachers to have a lesson plan for the following school day, or to have work marked quickly and handed back. However, I also know that, at least in Ontario Canada, that teachers have a very good thing going for them. They have one of the best pention plans in the province and are given ample time to relax during the Summer holidays.

What I do not understand, is what they expect to get after stricking for a single day midweek.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The school/college where I have spent 50% of the last 8 months working. A college I have worked at for 14 years off and on.
A college that employs over 100 teachers of which 15 or so I have worked for personally.
Thats the 'lot' I know.

Is it a school or a college?

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Sorry 'bout my earlier rant - it was a bit of a moan.

There are loads of moaning, arrogant, useless teachers, of course there are. Just as there are loads of moaning, arrogant, useless bus drivers, estate agents, accountants etc etc. The job can be very rewarding. Everyday is different. The kids can make laugh, they can make you proud, they can make you mad. But I wouldn't want any other job - just a little bit more money.

And I can honestly say that everyone I have ever met who has come into teaching from another job has been astounded at the huge workload teachers have.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Strange how so many schools are having inset days on friday. Makes it a nice long weekend for the whinging, lazy, good for nothings.

Unless you spend any time in or around schools you have no idea what a useless overpaid lot they really are. I`ve met a few good ones and they seem to be people who have spent some time in industry and they are quite often the first ones to say that a teachers lot is pretty damn good. The ones who have never left school .......................... well .

Ignorance is bliss :nono:

Pray tell, what do you do that has allowed you to spend time in or around schools to make you such an authority on what a 'useless lot they are' ? Have you worked as a cleaner or a lunch monitor possibly?

You are not 'qualified' enough to pass judgement on this thread unfortunately, as your ignorant post above demonstrates

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
My daughters Primary School said in the latest newsletter,
"I would like to inform parents that the teaching staff at St Andrew's have universally agreed NOT to undertake strike action on this date.
I feel important to emphasise that their decision is based on the detrimental effect that such action will have on the children's learning."
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My daughters Primary School said in the latest newsletter,
"I would like to inform parents that the teaching staff at St Andrew's have universally agreed NOT to undertake strike action on this date.
I feel important to emphasise that their decision is based on the detrimental effect that such action will have on the children's learning."
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Any chance of you posting some larger pics of yourself so I can make up my mind if you're fit or not?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ignorance is bliss :nono:

Pray tell, what do you do that has allowed you to spend time in or around schools to make you such an authority on what a 'useless lot they are' ? Have you worked as a cleaner or a lunch monitor possibly?

You are not 'qualified' enough to pass judgement on this thread unfortunately, as your ignorant post above demonstrates

Are you looking down your nose at cleaners or lunch monitors then ? It seems like it. Maybe you are a teacher then. I have a small company that does 50 to 60 % of its work in schools and colleges. I work closely with the people who run the schools and colleges so I am more than qualified to know what a bunch of idiots some of them are. Not all.......... but some.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Are you looking down your nose at cleaners or lunch monitors then ? It seems like it. Maybe you are a teacher then. I have a small company that does 50 to 60 % of its work in schools and colleges. I work closely with the people who run the schools and colleges so I am more than qualified to know what a bunch of idiots some of them are. Not all.......... but some.

But surely you get idiots in all professions.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But surely you get idiots in all professions.

Yes Les you do. Why the f*** anyone would employ me as a builder always makes me laugh.

BUT I dont get 12 weeks holiday a year, untold free periods a week, and I dont moan constantly about how hard my lot is and how little I get paid.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Perhaps because you look like this?

bob%20the%20builder.jpg

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003

So in your own words, you work 'closely with the people who run the schools and colleges'.......what like governors? Heads? Bursars? None of these groups actually do any teaching :nono:

So you haven't got a clue about TEACHING STAFF and what they do, so your 'bunch of idiots' comment sounds pretty ridiculous to me :shrug:

Enjoy your cleaning round tomorrow :wave:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So in your own words, you work 'closely with the people who run the schools and colleges'.......what like governors? Heads? Bursars? None of these groups actually do any teaching :nono:

So you haven't got a clue about TEACHING STAFF and what they do, so your 'bunch of idiots' comment sounds pretty ridiculous to me :shrug:

Enjoy your cleaning round tomorrow :wave:

And you`re experience of teaching is ?

Go on admit it you are one aren`t you ?

Nothing wrong with the cleaners who I`ve met. They do have their work cut out trying to keep on top of the disgusting mess left behind by the uncontrolled pupils though.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
And you`re experience of teaching is ?

Go on admit it you are one aren`t you ?

Nothing wrong with the cleaners who I`ve met. They do have their work cut out trying to keep on top of the disgusting mess left behind by the uncontrolled pupils though.

Are you one of those people who can't understand how a teacher can't control an out of control 12 year old boy when they also have 25 other kids to control?

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
People who work in schools have a very hard time with trying to work with kids. The teachers, cleaners, office workers, etc. have to do their best to provide an environment that keeps the students willing to show up and learn.

as for the timing of the strike, I agree with NMH. This time of year is when the kids need to be in class and preparing for their exams. One day of striking may not solve anything, and then what? Are the teachers going to take more time to strike, because that only hurts the students, it is simply an annoyance for administrators.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here