Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teachers' strike this week

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Greedy bastards. Most people would be happy with a two and a half per cent pay rise.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Having supported school staff and teachers for over 6 years in the public sector in a previous life I think I qualify to have an opinion and I can honestly say I have never dealt with such an arrogant and moaning bunch of 'professionals'. If you want to moan about your pay deals and terms and conditions then compare yourselves to nurses / NHS staff and then go take a running jump. :bigwave:

Well my dad has been a teacher his entire life(pretty much) and I think you lot are talking bollocks, to a degree.

Teachers CAN BE BAD, no question, but a lot are f***ed around by stupid interference which both the Tories and Labour are guilty of(before anyone accuses me of bias). He teaches at a sixth form college but there is no-one who could argue he doesn't put as much time and effort into his job as people in "Industry", there are the long holidays but there is also the fact he spends alot of time at weekends preparing lessons or marking work. He may well of taught a fair few of you lot on here too who are over the age of 18..

Good teachers are crucial, they can do such a vital job in helping students learn. It is a hard environment for many of them to be in. Plus this is the first strike(as far as I am aware) in YEARS and it is only one day...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My Mum works at a local primary school (not as a teacher, mind), of which the teachers are on strike on Thursday.

She and her colleagues have been told that even though the teachers (and so by extension the kids) won't be there, they will still be expected to turn up for work (despite there being nothing for them to do) or they will not be paid.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
If you want to moan about your pay deals and terms and conditions then compare yourselves to nurses / NHS staff and then go take a running jump. :bigwave:

Not sure because one sector gets shat on even more another one shouldn't try and fight for better terms and conditions for themselves.

I think there is a lot of problems in our schools, largely to do with a target orientated curriculum that doesn't allow teachers much opportunity to show initative or creativity in what they teach. It also hinders them from connecting with their pupils as they have to stick rigidly to what is set and they are expected to do a shed load of paper work that us non teachers don't even realise they have to do.

However they should sometimes remember that some of us don't get the massive amounts of holiday they do and the pay they receive when they do have a moan.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm a teacher. Got to work today at 7.40am. No tea breaks/lunch breaks all day. Finished work at 7pm. Will start planning, assessment, policy writing later at about 9pm. Will probably stop at about 11pm. This is a normal day. Will have a day off on Saturday. Will work about 4 hours on Sunday. Holidays are great, although I find myself working for longer and longer periods in them. Also these are the most expensive times to go on holiday - that's why I've had one foreign holiday in the last ten years. Inset days are not days off, we work bloody hard, although it's great to be able to work without the children being in school. Being a teacher is like being a political football - we do need time to get trained up on the latest government "initiative".

I'm a teacher because I love kids. I don't expect the same money as doctors, but I do expect my wages to be in line with inflation. I've been teaching for 16 years. I pity those who are just beginning their careers and can't afford to buy a house.

Bevendean Hillbilly - I'm afraid your ignorance of the teaching profession is laughable, although sadly typical.

Its called humour and is in the dictionary after hard cheese and before humbug.

I think that Teaching, as a profession, has gone down hill since "Buffa", my old deputy head, was told not to stand his 18 stone weight on 11 year old boys feet because they failed to cover their Latin book.

0/10 Matilda. See Me.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Its called humour and is in the dictionary after hard cheese and before humbug.

I think that Teaching, as a profession, has gone down hill since "Buffa", my old deputy head, was told not to stand his 18 stone weight on 11 year old boys feet because they failed to cover their Latin book.

0/10 Matilda. See Me.

Cover it in what?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Strange how so many schools are having inset days on friday. Makes it a nice long weekend for the whinging, lazy, good for nothings.

Unless you spend any time in or around schools you have no idea what a useless overpaid lot they really are. .

I'd say quite the opposite. I work as an MDSA at one of the biggest, if not the biggest (pupil wise) primary schools in Hampshire and it has been a real eye opener. Being in charge of a class of 30 odd kids on a daily has got to be one of the most demanding jobs. Most of the staff work through lunch time organising for the afternoon or are on duty for any problems we might have, even the head teacher mucks in with wiping down tables and packing away in the dining hall. Then you've got all the rules and regulations and paperwork of dealing with the little 'darlings' that dont know how to behave properly, and we only have to deal with that for for a lunch time let alone a whole school day. I come away from there everyday feeling drained after an hour so anyone who thinks being a teacher is a piece of piss should try it!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As a teacher myself I am not actually in favour of the strike. Ok, I work long days but so do others. I also get 13 weeks holiday a year so I think it takes the piss to moan about our occupation when most jobs get about 22 days holiday a year.

When you pro-rata an annual salary (taking into account the massive holidays) then it is a pretty decent wage if you ask me.

I agree with someone else on here who said tachers are moaning bastards, I cannot stand sitting in the staff room as most of the staff I work with do nothing but moan, moan moan.

It is a honour to teach, to work with students, to laugh everyday and no matter how hard it is you know that the next holiday is only round the corner.

Stop f***ing moaning and bloody enjoy one of the most rewarding jobs you could ever do.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I'd say quite the opposite. I work as an MDSA at one of the biggest, if not the biggest (pupil wise) primary schools in Hampshire and it has been a real eye opener. Being in charge of a class of 30 odd kids on a daily has got to be one of the most demanding jobs. Most of the staff work through lunch time organising for the afternoon or are on duty for any problems we might have, even the head teacher mucks in with wiping down tables and packing away in the dining hall. Then you've got all the rules and regulations and paperwork of dealing with the little 'darlings' that dont know how to behave properly, and we only have to deal with that for for a lunch time let alone a whole school day. I come away from there everyday feeling drained after an hour so anyone who thinks being a teacher is a piece of piss should try it!!

Is this Tank writing?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure because one sector gets shat on even more another one shouldn't try and fight for better terms and conditions for themselves.

I think there is a lot of problems in our schools, largely to do with a target orientated curriculum that doesn't allow teachers much opportunity to show initative or creativity in what they teach. It also hinders them from connecting with their pupils as they have to stick rigidly to what is set and they are expected to do a shed load of paper work that us non teachers don't even realise they have to do.

However they should sometimes remember that some of us don't get the massive amounts of holiday they do and the pay they receive when they do have a moan.

Christ. The lot I know should never be allowed to work on their own initiative.

How come so many ask for additional external exam marking when the time comes....................... They are that busy are they ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As a teacher myself I am not actually in favour of the strike. Ok, I work long days but so do others. I also get 13 weeks holiday a year so I think it takes the piss to moan about our occupation when most jobs get about 22 days holiday a year.

When you pro-rata an annual salary (taking into account the massive holidays) then it is a pretty decent wage if you ask me.

I agree with someone else on here who said tachers are moaning bastards, I cannot stand sitting in the staff room as most of the staff I work with do nothing but moan, moan moan.

It is a honour to teach, to work with students, to laugh everyday and no matter how hard it is you know that the next holiday is only round the corner.

Stop f***ing moaning and bloody enjoy one of the most rewarding jobs you could ever do.

Spelling mistake MR WILKO! tachers?

But you do talk sense. :)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

How come so many ask for additional external exam marking when the time comes....................... They are that busy are they ?

Who are the 'lot' you know?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I'd like to see you try and teach 5 lessons in a day and see how you get on. Pity we couldn't try that experiment though as I doubt you would pass the CRB check.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have they always been called 'inset days'? Never heard that term before today, and now I've heard it twice, once at work and once on here. Whatever happened to tried and trusted STAFF TRAINING days? ???

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Have they always been called 'inset days'? Never heard that term before today, and now I've heard it twice, once at work and once on here. Whatever happened to tried and trusted STAFF TRAINING days? ???

They were teacher training days in my years at school.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who are the 'lot' you know?

The school/college where I have spent 50% of the last 8 months working. A college I have worked at for 14 years off and on.
A college that employs over 100 teachers of which 15 or so I have worked for personally.
Thats the 'lot' I know.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Both my parents were teachers and one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I didn't follow in their footsteps.

Teaching is an unbelievably rewarding profession and I take my hat off to everyone who does it, especially those who have contributed to the fact that my children have grown up to be the people they are.

My youngest children go to the School Race is talking about and I know for a FACT that the teachers and EVERYONE else who works there all work their bollocks off to make it a good place to be at school.

Anyone who thinks it's a case of turning up at a quarter to nine and going home at 3.30 doesn't have any idea about what is required to be a teacher. Yes they have long holidays but they deserve them IMO

Like EVERY profession, there are bad teachers as well as good and the reputation of the whole group gets tarnished by the actions of the few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here