Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't dislike Taylor as a manager although I do think he is vastly overrated. The style of football changed dramatically when Taylor came in and for the worse in my opinion meaning that we were scraping through games with ugly football more than we were previously. Fair enough he did a job but as BOF points out we were fotunate that reading didn't finish strongly but it's all 'ifs and buts' as always.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
sir danny cullip said:
I don't dislike Taylor as a manager although I do think he is vastly overrated. The style of football changed dramatically when Taylor came in and for the worse in my opinion meaning that we were scraping through games with ugly football more than we were previously. Fair enough he did a job but as BOF points out we were fotunate that reading didn't finish strongly but it's all 'ifs and buts' as always.

but how did he nearly lose us a championship?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:

Taylor's record in 7 seasons is

Gillingham promoted
Leicester top of the Premiership then falling away badly
Sacked at Leicester, takes Brighton up as Champions
Hull, team building
Promoted with Hull from league 2
Promoted with Hull from League 1
Establishing Hull in the Championship

Good manager rather than over rated imo

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
BUTTERBALL said:
Scowcroft is one of the most shit and least prolific strikers I have ever seen. He is totally crap. Good signing for Palace then! :clap:

It does make me laugh tbh. I can see him sitting down at home and thinking "now who should we add to spearhead our attack on the premiership? Akinbyi...........nah tried that one, Hulse..........nah, wait ive got it, let get Jamie Scowcroft!"

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
garry nelsons left foot said:
but how did he nearly lose us a championship?

Maybe I chose the wrong phrase there but the point I was trying to make was that I dont think he should get a massive amount of credit for what he did down here. The team was established and to be honest I think if Bob Booker was given the job he would have taken us up, as Taylor admitted himself it just needed someone to carry on what Adams had left. End result you can't really argue because we won the championship but I wouldn't give Taylor a massive amount of credit for that. As i said previously and BOF said if Reading hadn't bottled it right at the end we could have easily lost that title, ifs and buts again but I think the football and the performances were worse when taylor took over.

BUTTERBALL said:
Scowcroft is one of the most shit and least prolific strikers I have ever seen. He is totally crap. Good signing for Palace then! :clap:

Agree with the Taylor defenders but yes, thread back on track.

Scowcroft and Macken - a dream partnership :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
London Irish said:
Agree with the Taylor defenders but yes, thread back on track.

Scowcroft and Macken - a dream partnership :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think you'll find the pecking order will be:

Morrison
Nugent (or whoever we sign)
Dougie (Legend - 100th goal at the shithole to beat the scum)
Torghelle
Scowcroft
Macken

May be that Macken leaves before the season start.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
sir danny cullip said:
Maybe I chose the wrong phrase there but the point I was trying to make was that I dont think he should get a massive amount of credit for what he did down here. The team was established and to be honest I think if Bob Booker was given the job he would have taken us up, as Taylor admitted himself it just needed someone to carry on what Adams had left. End result you can't really argue because we won the championship but I wouldn't give Taylor a massive amount of credit for that. As i said previously and BOF said if Reading hadn't bottled it right at the end we could have easily lost that title, ifs and buts again but I think the football and the performances were worse when taylor took over.

To use another but...

but, we weren't in a position to say the title was ours. Adams left us in something like 4th place with less than a third of the season gone. To say that we could have 'lost' the title if Reading hadn't've drawn nine of their last ten is just wrong. I think we should be looking at the fact that he took a side that was in the play-offs to the championship. Even if Reading had won some of their drawn games and fininshed above us, he still would have left us in a better position than when he took over. How much credit you want to give him is down to you I suppose, but he deserves some credit at the very least for what he achieved.

re: Bob Booker steering us to glory...He failed miserably when given a run of games after Coppel left. I really doubt he would have been able to steer us to the title.

No debating that the level of 'watchability' detiorated, although that might have happened under Adams too.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Icy Gull said:
Taylor's record in 7 seasons is

Gillingham promoted
Leicester top of the Premiership then falling away badly
Sacked at Leicester, takes Brighton up as Champions
Hull, team building
Promoted with Hull from league 2
Promoted with Hull from League 1
Establishing Hull in the Championship

Good manager rather than over rated imo

Not sure about the money he spent at Gillingham but would imagine he got a fair bit and maybe they are paying for it now? Leicester, had a purple patch but nothing special didn't acheive anything special. Hull gave him a lot of money to spend and although he did a good job there they are basically the brighton of the north with a stadium and therefore a decent transfer budget. Signing Jon Parkin was a great move, he's quality and would have been a great replacement for Virgo. Can look at it both ways but obviously he has the results in the past just wasn't all that impressed with him when he was here.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
paulie said:
I think you'll find the pecking order will be:

Morrison
Nugent (or whoever we sign)
Dougie (Legend - 100th goal at the shithole to beat the scum)
Torghelle
Scowcroft
Macken

May be that Macken leaves before the season start.

Which makes all of one of them up for this level of the current squad.

EDIT: By level I mean top 6 of the championship.

Last edited:

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
DAMANCLAY said:
Which makes all of one of them up for this level of the current squad.

EDIT: By level I mean top 6 of the championship.

Really? Which one?

Dougie and Clint are proven at this level - playing to their strengths will see them score goals again. Torghelle hasn't been given a chance, but has international goals against Germany and Brazil. Even Macken scored goals at this level for PNE. Nugent, if signed, will score goals.

So I think that makes more than one.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
paulie said:
Really? Which one?

Dougie and Clint are proven at this level - playing to their strengths will see them score goals again. Torghelle hasn't been given a chance, but has international goals against Germany and Brazil. Even Macken scored goals at this level for PNE. Nugent, if signed, will score goals.

So I think that makes more than one.

I think only Clint is really up to it from what ive seen, is Freedman not getting on a bit now? or am I thinking about someone else? Torgehlle is very unproven at this level and not sure if he can cope with how physical the league is.
Nugent isn't in your squad at the mo so cant really be counted and lets be fair Macken is just crap and injured most of the time.

I think that makes one and possibly Freedman but the few games I saw I wasn't that impressed with (apart from the game at our place)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Taylor has been very lucky. I truly believe anyone could have got us promoted from Division Two that year. He did make some good signings, but why did he jump ship? HIs record is flattering and deceptive.

Yes, he is a very good coach, but I am yet to be convinced about his management skills.

He had a great bunch of players for the U21s, he had Zamora at Brighton, he had a great deal of money at Hull....

As I said, good coach, but yet to see whether he is a decent manager.

5 past Kuipers

Is that the time?
Feb 22, 2006
Tunbridge Wells
DAMANCLAY said:
[B Torgehlle is very unproven at this level and not sure if he can cope with how physical the league is.
[/B]

I totally agree with the ‘unproven’ bit but, the man is as strong as an ox. If anything he’s too physical and gets too many yellow and red cards.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
BarrelofFun said:

As I said, good coach, but yet to see whether he is a decent manager.

Anyone who wastes Jordans cash by signing crap like Scowcroft is a cracking manager IMHO.

Keep it up Pete:thumbsup:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
DAMANCLAY said:
I think only Clint is really up to it from what ive seen, is Freedman not getting on a bit now? or am I thinking about someone else? Torgehlle is very unproven at this level and not sure if he can cope with how physical the league is.
Nugent isn't in your squad at the mo so cant really be counted and lets be fair Macken is just crap and injured most of the time.

I think that makes one and possibly Freedman but the few games I saw I wasn't that impressed with (apart from the game at our place)

Whose strike force would you rather have then Daman?

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
SJ's Love Monkey said:
Whose strike force would you rather have then Daman?

He's talking sh*te SJ.

We know Clint and the Doug are up to it. Torghelle, as FPK says, will be better suited to the Champ. And we will buy another striker before the season starts.

So our 6th best striker isn't prolific? So what. Plus in Reich, Jobi, Kennedy, Ward and Watson we've plenty of goals elsewhere.

Sad Brighton muppets clutching at straws me feels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here