Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a kid playing against the best club side on the planet. He outpaced EVERYONE.

Unless he gets a bad injury, he'll play for England.

What a set of defenders we have. It's amazing.

Just imagine how great it's going to be booooing him.

"For F**k Sake Lamptey, get rid now"

Oh the stuff of dreams.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great attacking play. However thought he struggled in defence against top players. Just couldnt understand why wide players were not marked closer and just allowed to have the ball. Can only assume Potters instructions Strange

In the first half especially, I thought he nullified several fast counter attacks. Because he did it effortlessly, it passed under most of our radars.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
In the first half especially, I thought he nullified several fast counter attacks. Because he did it effortlessly, it passed under most of our radars.

Not mine..Brilliant player, absolute quality, world class in the making!:shrug: :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lot of people were giving same grief about Bruno when he first joined forgetting it takes a while to settle in and build a undertsnading with whoever is around you. The lad has done brilliantly.

The trouble with Lamptey is that he’s a Marmite player.

Only 99.5% of Albion fans think he’s exceptionally good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He ruined one of their wonderkids to the extent he got booked and then hooked.

‘Our 19 year old full back is better than yours’ [emoji16][emoji16]

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Lot of people were giving same grief about Bruno when he first joined forgetting it takes a while to settle in and build a undertsnading with whoever is around you. The lad has done brilliantly.

Liverpool mates texted me to say they’ll have him off us in 2-3 seasons. Very impressed with.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Liverpool mates texted me to say they’ll have him off us in 2-3 seasons. Very impressed with.

I had a text from a Liverpool supporting friend too - 'Lamptey looks a player.'

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Made an absolute mug of their young left back at times last night. Bet he was relieved to be hauled off at half time. :lol:

LAMP.gif

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe Lamptey is more of a midfielder. Great going forward, but keeps making the wrong decision.

Is that a wooshy from Washie?

You are of course correct that he could play in midfield and Potter did that against United. He’d also be a constant threat played up front.

But, he defended brilliantly against some of the best players in the world last night. Nothing to do with the first two goals conceded and I attach no blame whatsoever to him for the third. Pretty much impossible to stop. Salah has made a brilliantly timed run outside of the goalposts into a position from which headers are hardly ever scored. A perfect cross and a perfect header. To stop it Lamptey would have had to be completely committed from the outset to physically preventing that particular run and, if positioned thus, that would have made him less able to deal with Salah’s more likely threat from within the goalposts. (TBF Ryan should of done better with it. Beaten at his near post again. Does that bloke ever save anything?[emoji3])

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For a 19 year old rookie against top of the league players, I thought he was outstanding in defence and attack. Prevented an awful lot of lightning quick counter attacks coming to something.

Tired in the second half and Robertson is far better than Neco Williams.

A basic mistake for the third goal, but that identical error is made by PL and ‘international’ stalwarts.
This

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You are of course correct that he could play in midfield and Potter did that against United. He’d also be a constant threat played up front.

But, he defended brilliantly against some of the best players in the world last night. Nothing to do with the first two goals conceded and I attach no blame whatsoever to him for the third. Pretty much impossible to stop. Salah has made a brilliantly timed run outside of the goalposts into a position from which headers are hardly ever scored. A perfect cross and a perfect header. To stop it Lamptey would have had to be completely committed from the outset to physically preventing that particular run and, if positioned thus, that would have made him less able to deal with Salah’s more likely threat from within the goalposts. (TBF Ryan should of done better with it. Beaten at his near post again. Does that bloke ever save anything?[emoji3])

af5dc92a3df56b0e0a736a6e9ade28c2.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not sure he was defensively brilliant, he got breezed passed on a number of occasions first and second half, Chamberlain beat him a number of times. It was the first chinks in the armour I’ve seen so far and an indication why Chelsea let him go. He’s very young though so hopefully quick to learn.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure he was defensively brilliant, he got breezed passed on a number of occasions first and second half, Chamberlain beat him a number of times. It was the first chinks in the armour I’ve seen so far and an indication why Chelsea let him go. He’s very young though so hopefully quick to learn.

But even when beaten he doesn't stay beaten for very long.

You could almost see Ox and Salah think 'right he's done I've got that extra second I need' - 'wtf, where did he come from'.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Chelsea didn't want him to go anywhere, they'd offered him a new long term contract that he was stalling on and was on the verge of signing a pre-contract agreement with Lille. We took advantage of that and got him on the cheap knowing that Chelsea would want to at least recoup some money for him rather than losing him to an overseas side for nothing in the summer.

He's going to get beaten some of the time, every footballer does, and this was a game against a side who have won the Champions League and Premier League, and he still looked like he belonged at that level. The good far outweighed the bad and this lad has a very bright future ahead of him, Chelsea will be smarting they've lost him but he's shown some hunger by leaving the comfort of Chelsea in search of actually playing, there is only one team that is going to benefit from that and its us.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Made an absolute mug of their young left back at times last night. Bet he was relieved to be hauled off at half time. :lol:

LAMP.gif

Williams really, really ought to have been booked for that - the fact Lamptey got away, doesn’t alter the cynical intent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Williams really, really ought to have been booked for that - the fact Lamptey got away, doesn’t alter the cynical intent.
Talking of cynical Gomez should have been sent off.

2 Liverpool players off, a nice backhanded compliment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

LAMP.gif

Annoying that Williams wasn't booked for that attempt to pull him down. It was enough to stop Lamptey beating the next defender (Henderson?) to the ball and giving away a free kick himself. Can refs. still book players for the attempted foul when they play advantage as in this situation?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Chelsea didn't want him to go anywhere, they'd offered him a new long term contract that he was stalling on and was on the verge of signing a pre-contract agreement with Lille. We took advantage of that and got him on the cheap knowing that Chelsea would want to at least recoup some money for him rather than losing him to an overseas side for nothing in the summer.

He's going to get beaten some of the time, every footballer does, and this was a game against a side who have won the Champions League and Premier League, and he still looked like he belonged at that level. The good far outweighed the bad and this lad has a very bright future ahead of him, Chelsea will be smarting they've lost him but he's shown some hunger by leaving the comfort of Chelsea in search of actually playing, there is only one team that is going to benefit from that and its us.

My criticism of him was only a few moments from last night in response to a comment that said 'defensively brilliant' . It wasn't a general comment about his game overall, just that I thought he did struggle a bit defensively 'last night', I think I added for the first time in an Albion shirt, and of course it was against top quality opposition. I didn't know why he left Chelsea, so thanks for that. He's going to be a very very good player for us for sure, not doubting that for a second at this point, and I'm only outlining that he is likely to improve, which on his showings so far, is only a good thing right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here