Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tariq Lamptey

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We have a clear number 1 right back now. Head and shoulders above Montoya, Schelotto, Webster & Alzate in the right back position. (Not literally though, he is shorter than them all).

Playing so well ‘straight out the box’ has really surprised me.

How can Potter ever justify leaving him out?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
****ing superstar!!!! Cheers Chelsea. :cheers:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
No doubt in my mind that we have a very special talent on our hands.

I'm already thinking of him in terms of a loan signing because sadly I can't see us hanging on to him for more than a season or so if he continues like this. A bigger club is bound to come knocking.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Not sure he was defensively brilliant, he got breezed passed on a number of occasions first and second half, Chamberlain beat him a number of times. It was the first chinks in the armour I’ve seen so far and an indication why Chelsea let him go. He’s very young though so hopefully quick to learn.
Not quite sure what you expect from a right back. For most of the game he was the single defender against 2 on the Liverpool left, a task which started difficult - Oxlade-Chamberlain is no slouch - got harder after half time when Robertson (best left back in the prem IMHO) replaced Williams and then became nigh on impossible when Mane replaced Oxlade-Chamberlain. Yet he still managed to get forward himself and also made the right kind of challenges when called upon to defend. Best example was when he tracked Salah and niggled away enough to stop him getting a good shot in but not enough to give away a penalty. We are very lucky to have him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not quite sure what you expect from a right back. For most of the game he was the single defender against 2 on the Liverpool left, a task which started difficult - Oxlade-Chamberlain is no slouch - got harder after half time when Robertson (best left back in the prem IMHO) replaced Williams and then became nigh on impossible when Mane replaced Oxlade-Chamberlain. Yet he still managed to get forward himself and also made the right kind of challenges when called upon to defend. Best example was when he tracked Salah and niggled away enough to stop him getting a good shot in but not enough to give away a penalty. We are very lucky to have him.

See post #541. :thumbsup:

I’m not underrating him, or saying he’s not good, just saying he was beaten a few too many times last night to be termed defensively brilliant. I think I’m rating him higher than some of you as he can be better, where does he go from here if last night was brilliant?

What a prospect, I don’t think my slight bit of criticism last night deflects from what an excellent signing we have on our hands. :albion2:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not sure he was defensively brilliant, he got breezed passed on a number of occasions first and second half, Chamberlain beat him a number of times. It was the first chinks in the armour I’ve seen so far and an indication why Chelsea let him go. He’s very young though so hopefully quick to learn.

Drivel

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lamptey is a level up from what we are used to. He could easily play for a top six team or one of the major European teams. He is going to be an outstanding player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

He used to – and then he turned down a new contract with them. Chelsea's loss is the Albion's gain.

"We've got Lamptey
Tariq Lamptey
I just don't think you understand
He only cost three mill
He'll leave you standing still
We've got Tariq Lamptey"

:jester:

I'm all about recycling, me – thanks for the memories, Knocky :kiss:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I am already worried someone (Spurs/Arsenal/ManCity) will come in for him in the summer

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
He used to – and then he turned down a new contract with them. Chelsea's loss is the Albion's gain.

"We've got Lamptey
Tariq Lamptey
He only cost three mill
We've got Tariq Lamptey"

Sadly, Lamptey may have departed to pastures greener before we get the chance to sing it at the Amex..:cry:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I am already worried someone (Spurs/Arsenal/ManCity) will come in for him in the summer
I imagine there will be interest, but considering Lamptey came here from Chelsea only recently to get 1st team football, you'd hope he'd want to stick out a season or two here as a starter. If one of the big teams came in for him now there's no guarantee he'd be the first choice RB, and he'd potentially be no better off in that regard than he was at Chelsea (apart from wages).

We can hope anyway!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

"We've got Lamptey
Tariq Lamptey
He only cost three mill
We've got Tariq Lamptey"

We've got to be able to do something with GaGa's Bad Romance

"La La Lamptey..."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Spurs. Possibly and he may know Jose - but Spurs look for shrewd business and a player 6 months just joining us isn't going to come cheap, especially to a bigger club.

Man City / Arsenal - no way, I think they are slightly more ambitious

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If that happens (I don't think it will - more like next summer at the earliest), we'll be looking at a colossal profit for just a few months - Webster was £20m+ from the Championship....so how much ???. We don't want or need to sell - price would be rightly astronomical. Added to that, Tariq made a clear career decision to come somewhere he had a good chance of immediate game time and being first choice (incidentally, I wonder how much Bruno was involved in the pre-purchase discussion.......) so seeing as he appears very level-headed and sensible, can see him wanting to fully establish himself before his (probably inevitable) big move.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I don't think it'll be this summer. He's had a good few games in weird circumstances, and transfer budgets will be tighter this time with the financial situation. If he maintains this quality next season while playing regularly then we're gonna have trouble retaining in the summer of 2021, particularly if he goes to the Euros.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think it'll be this summer. He's had a good few games in weird circumstances, and transfer budgets will be tighter this time with the financial situation. If he maintains this quality next season while playing regularly then we're gonna have trouble retaining in the summer of 2021, particularly if he goes to the Euros.

Unless he decides to play for Ghana ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here