Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport phone in with GUS - here's the link

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Stop crying racism, and investigate what actually is racist. Is truly putting the word "black" infront of someones name racist?

Yes it is. what other reason would someone have for putting the word "black" in front of somebody else's name if they were not inferring that their skin colour makes them in some way inferior ?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
....and how some people particularly those from an older generation struggle with the consequences

Typical.......many of the younger generation spend so much time and effort in their PC world and fostering this allegedly multi-cultural society, yet have no idea how to understand the older generation, their background....or even remotely understand the society and conditions they were brought up in. You know...that lot who fought world wars for freedom of speech, worked to put the country on its feet, so we had a decent education system for the youth, that worked hard because the 'benefit society' of today didn't exist. Those days when you could walk down a street in Brighton, without constantly hearing the words..."f***ing this...f***ing that ".

Yep...have them put down at 60...they are only a drain on the resources of the country.

I have no problem with the world moving towards an anti-racist position.................but there are other more important issues being ignored.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Stop crying racism, and investigate what actually is racist. Is truly putting the word "black" infront of someones name racist?

Yes it is. what other reason would someone have for putting the word "black" in front of somebody else's name if they were not inferring that their skin colour makes them in some way inferior ?

... watching the Frankfurt marathon the other sunday on HR3 (equivalent to local BBC tv in germany) i was not surprised to hear the commentator say something along the lines of "exclusively black runners in the leading group" ... would that be siad on the BBC ? or ... we ould have talked about "africans or Kenyans and Ethiopians" -- it definitely had nothing to do with the best runners being inferior and it doesnt make the commentator racist...

why wasnt i surprised ... because i have been living in Germany 15 years, ... as Gus says things are different in different conutries ... it doesnt make it ok what he says ... is the commentator racist? he might be racist but you definitely cant tell over here if he refers to the runners as black or coloured ... I think we in Britain should be proud of where we have got with our p c ... and in my view Gus should have been clearer than simply saying suarez has only been here three months he´s still learning - but Gus was trying to explain how hard it is to live in a foreign country and play by their rules - which he knows he has to do if he wants to live in the UK.... not a lot wrong with that but he could have done it better!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

In your opinion it is. When you listen to Gus' interview he is saying quite something different.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It makes painful listening however much you like GUS - Basically he implies that as racist comments in football games happen all over the world in the heat of the moment then its acceptable, but here in Britain we are out of kilter with other countries and are therefore wrong !!
listen to his comparison to how we drive on the left and yet the rest of the world drive on the right. He then basically asks is we want the rest of the world to drive like that
You're misinterpreting what he says. That interview is easy to criticise, but I don't think he's necessarily wrong.

How long have we been politically correct in this country? It's not that long, and given that a lot of other countries are decades behind us it's not surprising that foreign players will say things that aren't acceptable here. They will learn what is and isn't acceptable here, but it takes time.

As the saying goes, 'An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out'. So we've become politically correct and now we're going to lord it over the rest of the world because they haven't yet. Hopefully they will soon, but let's not all get holier than thou.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
... watching the Frankfurt marathon the other sunday on HR3 (equivalent to local BBC tv in germany) i was not surprised to hear the commentator say something along the lines of "exclusively black runners in the leading group" ... would that be siad on the BBC ? or ... we ould have talked about "africans or Kenyans and Ethiopians" -- it definitely had nothing to do with the best runners being inferior and it doesnt make the commentator racist...

why wasnt i surprised ... because i have been living in Germany 15 years, ... as Gus says things are different in different conutries ... it doesnt make it ok what he says ... is the commentator racist? he might be racist but you definitely cant tell over here if he refers to the runners as black or coloured ... I think we in Britain should be proud of where we have got with our p c ... and in my view Gus should have been clearer than simply saying suarez has only been here three months he´s still learning - but Gus was trying to explain how hard it is to live in a foreign country and play by their rules - which he knows he has to do if he wants to live in the UK.... not a lot wrong with that but he could have done it better!!

You're missing the point. If you are describing someone and they are black/asian or any other ethinic group, then to use their skin colour or indeed any feature about them is not racist. But if you call or refer to somebody as a black/asian c*** rather than just say they are a c*** then that has to be meant with racist meaning, otherwise why have you put black/asian in front of the insult ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Only just listened to the full interview. To be fair to Gus, I think I know what he is trying to say, and I do understand his point. But as a Manager and a Celebrity, rightly or wrongly, you cant say that kind of thing nowadays.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If ya feel the need to racially abuse someone in the heat of the moment then there is something wrong with you on a football pitch or not.
On the face of it that seems like a fair point, but it's not so easy to judge unless you've played professional football. For example, your point should also apply to physical abuse. I don't think it's ok to go around punching people on the street, so why should it be any different on the football pitch? Well rightly or wrongly, it is a lot more acceptable to punch someone in professinal sport. Be it football, rugby, ice-hockey, people are getting punched and kicked all the time, but not many are getting done with GBH.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What does it actually have to do with Gus anyway? Although I'm sure he thought he was helping his friend, all he has done is draw attention (and the wrong kind) to Suarez, Gus and the club with comments that have merit but will always be considered dubious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here