Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport phone in with GUS - here's the link

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
And he's also making the point that the standards that have developed in England are not automatically understood and embraced all over the world. I would add that they aren't even universally understood and embraced in England.

This is well worth listening to (about 07:20 into the 1400-1430 segment):-

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/58220

You realy think that players are not told what is and isnt exceptable in this country?

Do you think they do not notice lets kick racism out campaigns?

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Simple question, did Ronnie Irani ever play football - so who he is he to question GP?
GP has a strong case and ignornant drunken/hungover talksport presenters should know better - but of course they don't - all they care about are their boring ads which take up at least 1/2 of their broadcasting time and their 'interesting' repetitive loop is no more than 15 minutes.
Who the heck are interestested in bloody vans and trade things ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He is emplying that we a bunch of girls over here and quite honestly he is spot on as usual.

Sounds like you are part of this new breed, stop being so sensitive.

Gus speaks the truth.

spot on

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think Poyet was right in the fact that it seems all over the world, it is more or less accepted that whatever gets said on the pitch, stays there. I don't remember everyone kicking off when Zidane was the victim of racist comments from the Italians in the world cup final. Poyet is pointing out that Evra is saying "I'm telling" to the FA when normally these things go on. I love the way Poyet batted away that idiot Irani's attempt to pull him into commenting on racist abuse from Spanish fans. He was talking about players and on the pitch only! Over time what is acceptable on the pitch might change too. However Poyet is right, it is just in this country that we make a huge hoo haa about this and in other countries, it's no biggie.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I think some people don't 'get' Gus. I do and I didn't hear him say anything remotely painful.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
One of the things I most admire about Gus is that he has the courage of his convictions. He's also shown again how loyal he is. I'd rather have someone like that as a manager than some PR-obsessed egg-shell treading nobody. He's made two very strong points; he knows Suarez isn't racist and that in a multinational globalised world things get lost in translation. Of course he's not going to please everyone with his views, but at least he's got people thinking and talking about this issue in a more intelectual way rather than a simplistic one. Racism is a very complex and subjective subject; you can say things that someone else may deem as being racist without being a racist, that is fact, I've done it myself. The context is important; footballers, both professionals and amateurs, abuse each other verbally every game in one way or another.
The analogy Gus made with physical abuse on the pitch is also valid; I had my leg smashed in a friendly in a premeditated vicious tackle, my brother had his nose broken similarly. We didn't think for a moment about going to the police about it. If it had happened on the street then I'm sure it would have been considered.
So to those just trotting out the same old 'yes but it's wrong' try thinking a bit more about what how you define right and wrong 'cos it 'aint that black and white (excuse the pun). All this proves once again is just how much many people love a good witch hunt.

Last edited:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
No I haven't heard one person (including Gus) saying that at all.

So are you telling me calling one person a racist comment is not racist as that is what Gus said.

People calling evra a cry baby for reporting what he believed to be racist abuse. But he should accept it as its on a football pitch and get on with it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
So are you telling me calling one person a racist comment is not racist as that is what Gus said.

People calling evra a cry baby for reporting what he believed to be racist abuse. But he should accept it as its on a football pitch and get on with it.

Read Hungry Joe's post just above - explains it very well. Get down off your high horse and see it from abother perspective and it may make your own perspective a little less OTT.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Read Hungry Joe's post just above - explains it very well. Get down off your high horse and see it from abother perspective and it may make your own perspective a little less OTT.

High horse lol what makes me laugh imagine if some one at palace said these comments all hell would be breaking lose. There seems to be some protective bubble around Gus on here that you can't criticise him for anything and his always right.

If ya feel the need to racially abuse someone in the heat of the moment then there is something wrong with you on a football pitch or not.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
High horse lol what makes me laugh imagine if some one at palace said these comments all hell would be breaking lose. There seems to be some protective bubble around Gus on here that you can't criticise him for anything and his always right.

If ya feel the need to racially abuse someone in the heat of the moment then there is something wrong with you on a football pitch or not.

Serious question, how old are you?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What does that matter.

Im old enough to have my own place and have my own opinions thanks.

Calm down lad, I didn't say you weren't. You seem quite young so I'll assume you are and take that into account. Life will teach you that things aren't as simple as they seem to you right now, that's all.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

So if that is really your view and you're not just generally disagreeing with people to keep the post count up.
What do you think should happen to Gus? The sack? prosecution?

By the way, congratulations on using lose instead of loose. I'd only ever seen it the other way round before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here