Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talksport phone in with GUS - here's the link

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What also makes me laugh is blaming different cultures if i go to other countries i respect there ways and believes, they should do the same here.

You do realise that that is one of the main arguments trotted out ad nauseum by the real racists in this country such as the BNP.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
High horse lol what makes me laugh imagine if some one at palace said these comments all hell would be breaking lose. There seems to be some protective bubble around Gus on here that you can't criticise him for anything and his always right.

If ya feel the need to racially abuse someone in the heat of the moment then there is something wrong with you on a football pitch or not.

You are on your high horse because you have immediately jumped to the conclusion that what was said is racist. The question is - is what was said racist? Gus' view on that is pretty plain, and he goes on to say that maybe we are out of step with the rest of the world. Not that the rest of the world is wrong or right but just different.

Stop crying racism, and investigate what actually is racist. Is truly putting the word "black" infront of someones name racist?

I'm Australian and have been in the UK many years now. I've been called all sorts of things, some of which I find racist - but would you see it that way? Doubt it - so why when it comes to colour do we get all hoity toity?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
So if that is really your view and you're not just generally disagreeing with people to keep the post count up.
What do you think should happen to Gus? The sack? prosecution?

By the way, congratulations on using lose instead of loose. I'd only ever seen it the other way round before.

Why should he be sacked or prosecuted he has not been racist but i believe just far to loose in his comments and probably gave the interview at the wrong time Im puzzled as to why he went on talksport.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
You do realise that that is one of the main arguments trotted out ad nauseum by the real racists in this country such as the BNP.

Not at all, Im not racist i like all faiths and race, but if i went to a country i would do things there way not the way i do in England.

So are you telling me calling one person a racist comment is not racist as that is what Gus said.
The argument really does hang on whether negrito is a racist epithet, when used by a Uruguayan who comes from an integrated, multicultural society where racism is not an issue.

There is plenty of evidence that it isn't, provided that context is in place. The context has plainly evaporated, by the time a footballer like Suarez finds himself in a dispute with a non-Uruguayan on an English football pitch. Gus understands this, but is defending Suarez because he knows the man and thinks he is being naive, not racist.

People who aren't prepared to take seriously the claim that the Uruguayan use of the word might be different from "our" use of the word are just prejudiced. But there are plenty of people in England who like to close their minds to the concept of multiculturalism.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The argument really does hang on whether negrito is a racist epithet, when used by a Uruguayan who comes from an integrated, multicultural society where racism is not an issue.

There is plenty of evidence that it isn't, provided that context is in place. The context has plainly evaporated, by the time a footballer like Suarez finds himself in a dispute with a non-Uruguayan on an English football pitch. Gus understands this, but is defending Suarez because he knows the man and thinks he is being naive, not racist.

People who aren't prepared to take seriously the claim that the Uruguayan use of the word might be different from "our" use of the word are just prejudiced. But there are plenty of people in England who like to close their minds to the concept of multiculturalism.

Well said - far more eloquent than mine was!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Spot on

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

I agree but i felt Gus was talking in general not just regarding suarez. I do believe the baby thing would have been forgotten if he hadn't gone to do the talksport interview. I think Gus is a great manager but i felt the comments on talksport were very silly. People focusing on the baby comment for me that was not as bad as one of the comments he made.

Feb 14, 2010
Gus has to be tried by ducking stool and if he is innocent then he will drown. Will Sky have it on pay per view and will Talk Sport have the commentary?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree but i felt Gus was talking in general not just regarding suarez. I do believe the baby thing would have been forgotten if he hadn't gone to do the talksport interview. I think Gus is a great manager but i felt the comments on talksport were very silly. People focusing on the baby comment for me that was not as bad as one of the comments he made.

IMHO the only error was talking with a crap radio station....otherwise he made some very valid points ...and if we are supposed to b this multicultural society then we need to understand other cultures more and not just form a view of people from other countries via our daily diet of news via tv/newspapers etc

Last edited:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Well that just proves that it's all about opinions. In my opinion the cry baby thing would not have been forgotten, in fact I think it is very naieve to think it would have been. The Talksport interview gave Gus the chance to add further context to the points he was making. What bad comments in your opinion did he actually make? And while you're at it, how would you define 'English culturalism' in terms of how people from other nations should behave in modern multi-cultural England?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well that just proves that it's all about opinions. In my opinion the cry baby thing would not have been forgotten, in fact I think it is very naieve to think it would have been. The Talksport interview gave Gus the chance to add further context to the points he was making. What bad comments in your opinion did he actually make? And while you're at it, how would you define 'English culturalism' in terms of how people from other nations should behave in modern multi-cultural England?

Modern multi cultural England a changing landscape as we become more multi cultural....and how some people particularly those from an older generation struggle with the consequences

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
You are on your high horse because you have immediately jumped to the conclusion that what was said is racist. The question is - is what was said racist? Gus' view on that is pretty plain, and he goes on to say that maybe we are out of step with the rest of the world. Not that the rest of the world is wrong or right but just different.

Stop crying racism, and investigate what actually is racist. Is truly putting the word "black" infront of someones name racist?

I'm Australian and have been in the UK many years now. I've been called all sorts of things, some of which I find racist - but would you see it that way? Doubt it - so why when it comes to colour do we get all hoity toity?

A large pertantage of people (if not all) have at some time in their adult lives, been angry with and had an argument with another individual, whether that be in the workplace or in their private lives, Sportsmen and women will by the very nature of their job as it is so competetive and physical have more instances of direct conflict with another competitor, probably more so in team games such as football, often comments are made just to wind the other player up but also can be made in anger. With regards to abusive comments and the shaking of hands after a game, which seems to be the main point that Blatter and Gus are talking about then sure it is ok to call someone a " stupid/thick/lazy/ugly/ lanky/short c*** etc, and be ok with each other after the game, whilst these sort of comments are offensive they are understandable in the heat of a competetive game, however if you put the word "black" or any other word of a similar ilk in front of those comments then you are implying that the colour of their skin makes them iferior to you otherwise why would you use that word. Don't think i've ever heard a player called a stupid "White" c*** , because the white bit is irrelevant so should it be for any other skin colour. With regards to the Suarez incident, if it is the culture in South America to use the word "negrita" as we in England use the word "mate" as in "f*** of mate you c***" then all Suarez should do imo is apologise for the misundertanding of the cultural differences and never use that word again. This may sound too simplistic but if that is truly the reason for his use of the word then I certainly do not agree with a witchhunt.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

I can't copy and paste the quote but i have already a couple of times. It was to do with its ok to basically abuse one person but not a society.

As for England accepting all we do but that does not mean we should tolerate racism. But if as you say and others have to suarez comments are not racist in his home then i accept that but his not in south America any more. While we should accept all, we should still stick to our ways. And imo racism should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I can't copy and paste the quote but i have already a couple of times. It was to do with its ok to basically abuse one person but not a society.

As for England accepting all we do but that does not mean we should tolerate racism. But if as you say and others have to suarez comments are not racist in his home then i accept that but not in south America any more. While we should accept all, we should still stick to our ways. And imo racism should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

I think you're still missing the point. What is racism?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Racist chants against players is unacceptable but I wonder whether Gus has a point that something said in the heat of the moment in a game really represents someone's opinion of the other person. Is tackling someone harshly considered as racism if the players are of different ethnic background because it could be construed as such. I do think sometimes that the race card is used all too easily and allegations need to be supported by fact. I agree with tedebear that we all have different terms for people from different countries - the Aussies call us Poms, we called the French frogs so is that racism?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

As for England accepting all we do but that does not mean we should tolerate racism. But if as you say and others have to suarez comments are not racist in his home then i accept that but not in south America any more. While we should accept all, we should still stick to our ways. And imo racism should not be tolerated in any shape or form.

I'm certain that's not what was Gus was saying.

By saying 'accepting all we do' you are defining 'us' as a homogenous unit. We aren't, and never have been. That's the point I was trying to make, it's far too simplistic to talk of a nation in terms of one acceptable way of behaviour. The vast majority, myself included, of course agree that racism should not be tolerated. It's just that what defines racism is by it's nature often difficult to define. Sometimes it's obvious, as would seem to be the case with John Terry's comments, sometimes it's not - as with Suarez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here