Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tal Ben-Haim - what a cock

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I don't blame the player's at all. Portsmouth offered them the contracts. Seriously would anyone on here just say "ok I will take a £20k a week pay cut"......NO, no they wouldn't and if they say they would I suggest they are full of shit.
Exactly this, and this is why the Portsmouth situation and the many Palace fans who defend them f*** me off. It is Pompey's, not anyone else's fault, that they agreed a contract with Ben-Haim which entitled him to £36k a week. Then when it goes belly up we're all supposed to feel sorry for them? Stand up and take responsibility. If our finances nosedived and we went into administration, I'd be furious at Bloom for paying Vicente whatever wages he's on, not Vicente.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Pompey have also confirmed no bid for Kitson, so clearly Gus does not want to match his current wages. It wouldn't totally surprise me if we went back in if we can't land our first choice.

No thank you. There's probably players out there that would be worse signings than Kitson. Its just, I'm struggling to think of any right now.........

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Exactly why clauses in contracts in the event of relegation should be made. Especially with some contracts lasting 4 or 5 years.

David Burke recently stated how astonished he was to hear that ANY club still offer contracts to players without relegation clauses attached. Nearly every club in the Pro Leagues does operate such a policy....Pompey don't!

And yes £5k a week shows that even now, with the piffling pence in the pound agreement to earlier creditors unpaid and the new creditors also being ripped off big time, Pompey have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how much they can afford and should be offering.

TBH they should be paying 25% of that and only if they settle their takeover. If not it's Glasgow Rangers time!

Re: Ben Haim, he can stick to his guns rightly or wrongly but he won't be getting paid more than a few beans anyway if Pompey go bust...which he, Kanu, Kitson and co are steering them towards. Also, by sticking to their expensive guns they are making very UNwealthy employees very, very poor (perhaps even homeless) via the consequential redundancies.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Still makes me laugh the way Harry shot off just before the shit hit the fan.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
If i were playing for Brighton and it was the difference between then surviving or not, then yes i would. I would go and get a game somewhere else or play for less money. Loyalty is a rare commodity in football i know but we all make our own choices in life.

Of course you would, because as well as being a player, you would be a FAN of the club. The vast majority of footballers are not fans of the clubs they play for, it's 'just' a job, however much they enjoy it and give their all every Saturday.

Part of me thinks Ben Haim should do the 'honourable' thing and take the pay cut but another part of me says he should tell them to f*** off. Pompey's owners and administrators have made an absolute bollocks of running the club for years now and it's about time they learned the ultimate lesson.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Of course you would, because as well as being a player, you would be a FAN of the club. The vast majority of footballers are not fans of the clubs they play for, it's 'just' a job, however much they enjoy it and give their all every Saturday.

Part of me thinks Ben Haim should do the 'honourable' thing and take the pay cut but another part of me says he should tell them to f*** off. Pompey's owners and administrators have made an absolute bollocks of running the club for years now and it's about time they learned the ultimate lesson.

But they are long gone. They are not learning any lesson. The only ones suffering for this are the fans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If it meant £36,000 for 3 weeks: £108,000

or £5k for something like 40 weeks: £200,000 plus playing football for those weeks...

I would choose the £5k and football

But that's not the choice.

They are being asked to forego at least a portion of monies already owed. Someone else in this thread mentions Kanu claims he is owed £3m. Would you give up £3m so you could get £200k? Would you do so knowing that by giving up the £3m it wasn't going to local companies and charities, but into the pocket of the administrator and the man who is waiting to buy the club on the cheap so he can squeeze all the money he can out of it?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Remember that every penny the players give up is split between Balram Chanrai - one of the crooks who created the mess - and the administrator. Both get their blood money in full.

Not hard to imagine that the players detest and distrust Chanrai as much as the fans. Why give him the money when everyone knows it will just delay the club's demise.

If the players walk away then Chanrai takes over and gets the money he says he is owed in full - it equates pretty much to all of the parachute payments. The rest of the money they give up goes to the administrator in fees. There will be no money left and the club will again fall into administration, probably within the next year.

Remember this is the club which, at the same time that it is seeking to shaft one group of players out of their contractual entitlement, is also talking to the likes of Brian Howard, Izale McLeod and Sean Derry with the promise to make them the highest paid players in League 1
....................they never learn and they have no respect for anyone or anything.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
But they are long gone. They are not learning any lesson. The only ones suffering for this are the fans.

They are NOT long gone. Chanrai is waiting to take over again to claim the last of his blood money before dumping the club in the same or worse position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Although I'd like to think I'd have done the honourable thing and not signed, in the first place.
Any fookin idiot can see that's not a 'proper' contract and will end up being more hassle than it's worth.

If it's to good to be true by that margin, walk away.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They are NOT long gone. Chanrai is waiting to take over again to claim the last of his blood money before dumping the club in the same or worse position

And this administrator is talking about setting wage caps for a league one team at a level higher than last year's average championship wage, and is working to bring back Chanrai.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I know the answer is likely to be a contractual one but if Pompey can summarily dismiss and make redundant members of staff such as the ticket office, cleaners etc why can't they simply do the same with players? Make them all redundant the same as the others say sorry we have no money to give you any redundancy payments or back pay and get them to join the queue of creditors albeit they will get first preference as football creditors. It's crazy, I know of no other business going bust that doesn't simply cancel the contracts and make the highest earners redundant why are football clubs any different than any other business?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I know the answer is likely to be a contractual one but if Pompey can summarily dismiss and make redundant members of staff such as the ticket office, cleaners etc why can't they simply do the same with players? Make them all redundant the same as the others say sorry we have no money to give you any redundancy payments or back pay and get them to join the queue of creditors albeit they will get first preference as football creditors. It's crazy, I know of no other business going bust that doesn't simply cancel the contracts and make the highest earners redundant why are football clubs any different than any other business?

Because football has special rules to, among other things, protect players from the fools who bleed clubs dry......unfortunately they don't have special rules to prevent the fools owning the clubs in the first place.

Ultimately the League owns the so called Golden Share in every member club which allows the club to compete in the league. Play by their rules or they withdraw that share and it's goodnight Vienna.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Too many crooks and leeches involved.

From the rather wonderful 'Said & Done' section of the Observer...

Comeback of the week

Peter Storrie: ready to help save Portsmouth from administration: "My wife would say never in 100 years – but my heart tells me 'yes', because I love the club, I love it."

• Last time Storrie helped save Portsmouth: 2010 – paid £87,000 by administrators for five months' consultancy after resigning as chief executive, with the club £135m in debt.

The adminsitrator has seemingly picked his scapegoat (Ben Haim in this instance) and has pushed the press in to lumping all the woes on him. An easy scapegoat. The country is reeling in depression and we have these guys refusing to defer payments.

I'm in two minds how I would act. It's all very well saying these guys are overpaid and they should do the decent thing. Whatever you earn, losing 70% of your income is going to have a negative effect on your lifestyle.

I'd like to think that I would have been sensible with money and have enough reserves to leave and write off the money owed. I reckon they have been given plenty of false promises. I would be minded to say "f*** 'em". Give me the money they owe me.

If the company was a meaningful company that provided a valuable service, then I would definitely seek employment elsewhere. Put it down to a lesson learned and play a part in salvaging the business.

But is Portsmouth FC worth saving?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What a mess this situation is. Taking into account the last few posts i cannot say what i would do. Maybe it is best to edwin collins it and rip it up and start again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Remember this is the club which, at the same time that it is seeking to shaft one group of players out of their contractual entitlement, is also talking to the likes of Brian Howard, Izale McLeod and Sean Derry with the promise to make them the highest paid players in League 1[/B] ....................they never learn and they have no respect for anyone or anything.

The club isn't officially talking to any of these players as the only person with the power to offer contracts is the administrator, and his mind is otherwise occupied, as he makes clear in the original article that the Sky Sports report was taken from.

Bel Haim a symbol of Pompeys fall - Football League - Football - The Independent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here