Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking days off because of the snow

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
But as Horsham Gull is saying that they are making employees take holidays, I really doubt this is legal.
QUOTE]

English employment law states that if an employee fails to attend work then the employer is not obliged to pay that member of staff.

Whilst many employers are flexible and allow staff to make the time up, they do not have to do this.

The alternative is that they don't pay the employee for the day they've not worked.

This means that as an employee for a company who aren't flexible you'll either use it as a days holiday or go without pay. Companies CAN enforce holidays on employees who are not sick and who have taken days off.

I do think there are exceptions here, to make a pregnant woman or disabled employee come to work or make them take holiday. This was discussed on Channel 5 yesterday and an employement law solicitor stated that they have a duty of care for such employees. He stated that he thinks the company would be in trouble for doing this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm doing the exact opposite. Was supposed to be flying to Fuerteventura on Wednesday. After spending two days at Gatwick it wasn't to be. So I'm going back to work three days early. Fuckfuckfuck! :cry:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Some people, fair enough, its the blatant piss takers that are annoying
Chap in our office phoned yesterday saying he couldnt get in. Despite getting the same train as our boss who arrived at 9:00am. Muppet. It didnt go down too well and he was on the next train after a stern phone call

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I do think there are exceptions here, to make a pregnant woman or disabled employee come to work or make them take holiday. This was discussed on Channel 5 yesterday and an employement law solicitor stated that they have a duty of care for such employees. He stated that he thinks the company would be in trouble for doing this.

We need to tell the lawyers to f**k off. They keep putting ideas into peoples heads which then encourage them to sue etc., thus paying the lawyers inflated wages.

For example this little nugget comes from the Elf n Safety Officer of a very local council (personal friend). If you clear the pavement outside your home of snow and ice you CANNOT BE SUED by anyone unless you inform them that the pavement is safe to use, be that verbal or wriiten information. If they choose to use that path without encouragement from you then that is their choice and their responsibility.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing

I will see what happens when I get back to work (when!). As I've said in my post above, I am not prepared to risk going to work due to my current health situation, but I'm of the opinion that that is not my employer's fault, so I am telling them I'm taking leave and toil time until it runs out, then I automatically presume I won't be paid.

I can't work from home due to the high level of security on the data, so when I'm not in work, I am not worth anything to them, ergo I don't expect them to be paying me to sit at home

Whether I'm being too fair is another matter, and perhaps I have the right to be paid, but the difference is that I don't automatically expect to be

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think I need to clarify that I have not said the company has to pay these people and I am just questioning the right of an employer to enforce them to take holiday.
For people like Horsham Gull, what would the company's view be to employees who have not taken time away from work because they cannot get there, but just because the schools are closed and they have had to stay away because they have no one to look after their children.

While it wouldn't solve everyone's problems, it would help if compnaies bothered to invest in proper remote working solutions. Thankfully I work for a company that actually tries to give as many employees as possible home working contracts because they've seen the savings it can bring and the increase in producitivity. Some companies don't help themselves.

Agreed, my forward thinking company (Royal Mail) closed down Brighton Mail Centre in 1999 and now there is just the delivery office in North Road. We were all moved up to Gatwick, making it difficult for for the Brighton based employees to get to work in conditions that we are experiencing at the moment.
If companies were more locally based this would save on car journeys and make things easier during adverse weather conditions.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Those people who can't/can't be arsed to go into work should clean the pavements outside their house and the surrounding roads instead of making f***ing snowmen and watching f***ing loose women. If they refuse they should be shot :guns:
:angry::angry::angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What's it like out in Lancing? One person from work is adamant she can't get in. Surely the buses and trains out that way are okay? One guy got in from Shoreham. RIDICULOUS. And she won't be penalised.

The school I work in has been closed throughout this pants weather and as previously mentioned, it is a pain as it throws me of my scheme of work; which will have to be covered in order for my learners to achieve the qualification. The point I want to make here is that, although the school has been closed I have still had to drive into Brighton to drop and pick up my missus, so, in reality I could have gone into work but as the school cannot ensure the absolute safety of the students the decision was taken to close. Just want to remove myself from the "lazy bastards" list like!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some people can't work from home anyway, nurses, police, brickies, shopkeepers the list is bloody endless.

I did start my post with "While it wouldn't solve everyone's problems" :p

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't work from home due to the high level of security on the data, so when I'm not in work, I am not worth anything to them, ergo I don't expect them to be paying me to sit at home

The company I work for does a lot of high level security work for the government and has put a remote working solution to allow highly classified work to be carried out remotely so it can be done - just depends on the mindset of the company board.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
2 things that are baffling me at the moment:

Why are the schools closed? Never used to when it snowed when I was at school.

What is the point of having undersoil heating at footie grounds, if the match is called off for the safety of the people travelling to the ground?

Is it lazyness, a nanny state, threat of litigation or what?

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
Trust me, from working in a supermarket, the customers STILL keep coming shopping, it has NOT stopped them. So on the basis that we serve 1000's if not 10000's everday who must come from all areas of the local region, how do they get here and some of the workforce can't!!??

We still have to provide that service for the 'panic buyers' and as i'm not lazy, come 1230 today, i'll be off to work for the late night shift!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here