Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taking days off because of the snow

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If you can walk to a train station then chances are you can get to work okay. Those that have to drive on dodgy roads then it's fair enough.

As I work in Storrington, train is not an option. I went there on Tuesday, but had meetings in London yesterday and today. It was probably easier getting to London than it would have been getting to Storrington, but I did get the car stuck in the car park at Hassocks this evening. Thanks to someone having fun with a Discovery for towing me onto the driveable bit. I fear the car won't get out in the morning from where I've parked it now, though. It took me a long time from much nearer the main road on Wednesday morning. Luckily, I have plenty of work with me that I can do, though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But what if the emergency services had that attitude ???

None of the crew on my Watch have missed a single minute of a single shift, even if it means walking an hour or so, or even a couple of hours, to get to the fire station and then get home again, as most of us can't get our cars out.

I guess we are the stupid ones*

*except me. I have a Land Rover :hilton:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
My work was shut yesterday so I got hte day off, although I was planning to go in.

Today I went in and others didnt bother, even though it was obviously possible!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I work at an office in Brighton and sometimes people coming in from outside, via train or coastal, have got in but locals, like me haven't. They don't seem to appreciate the hilly aspect of brighton and the ice.

On Tuesday it took me 45 mins to walk to the nearest point of bus travel only for that bus to be taken off the road 4 stops later, at Lewes Road garage.

I thne had to decide to either carry on to work, at probably an hour's walk, or return home, which would also take an hour.

If i had gone to work I would have arrived about 11.00 and would have had to leave about3.00 in the hope that my probable 2 hour walk home could be done before it all froze again.

I've not been out since, it's too dangerous and I work for an organisation which has recently decided not to use our talents & experince but transfer us to doing mindless, monotonus trivial tasks.

If i had a meaningfull job I would make more effort.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But what if the emergency services had that attitude ???

Absolutely dumb comment. Don't turn up for work at a shop then you are not there to sell anything to the customers that aren't going to turn up anyway. Don't turn up at the hospital and people die. Simple as. Most people in office based jobs could probably work from home and in most cases, if they are off work for one or two days, the work will still be on their desk when they get back. Most offices I have worked in, colleagues don't take work off your desk when you're off for a couple of days. They only answer the phone and leave you a note for your return. We are also in the age of mobile communications and the internet!

As I understand it employers are well within their rights not to pay employees if they dont turn up for work because of the snow :clap2:

What about if employees then only worked the hours they were contracted to, ie no unpaid overtime. It's a case of give and take.

None of the crew on my Watch have missed a single minute of a single shift, even if it means walking an hour or so, or even a couple of hours, to get to the fire station and then get home again, as most of us can't get our cars out.

I guess we are the stupid ones*

*except me. I have a Land Rover :hilton:

No, you're not stupid, just in an important profession. My wife eventually got into work and is having to stay in Haywards Heath so she can be there tomorrow. She works in the intensive care and they are struggling as some can't get in. They are on minimum levels of staffing and not helped by the lack of planning by the stupid Trust.

It is however predictable that whenever we get this type of weather, there are always some self righteous pricks who think they are the dogs bollox because they got into work and are sitting behind their desk!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Advice on radio, TV etc. - You should only travel if your journey is essential etc., etc..

I think, 'Is being paid essential to me? Yes.', so I get off my arse and go to work.

At least half the people not getting to work are lazy c***s!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The last 2 days I have walked from Shoreham to Worthing taking me 2hrs each way, but I've made it on time each day - just needed to leave earlier.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Espically teachers, bunch of lazy :censored:
:jester:

Oi - Ive tried to get in but everytime I have journeyed to work Ive had a phone call telling me the school is shut - annoyed because my Year 11's have an exam in two weeks and they need to prepare for it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Being a taxi driver, I take a load of special needs kids to/from school throughout the day. Education tell us that if we think there could be any danger (no matter how slight), then not to take them. Simple as.
And as most of the kids live in areas that see no sign of gritters/ploughs, stay at home they will. But we do check with the parents first to see what they think.
I would like to take them 'cos I'm losing money, but you'd be in deep shit if something happened.
Anyway, the schools are shut again today.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Oi - Ive tried to get in but everytime I have journeyed to work Ive had a phone call telling me the school is shut - annoyed because my Year 11's have an exam in two weeks and they need to prepare for it.

You should visit each one at their homes, if a few live near to each other, get them in one house, and tutor them for their exams that way.

It would show dedication, and the kids will love you for it.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
my work are forcing people to take holiday if they dont turn up =/

I am interested in your company’s policy here.
What if the employee refuses to take holiday?
What action will your company take against these employees?
What if an employee has no holiday entitlement left?
What will your company policy be if, an employee breaks a limb in trying to get to work, will you pay them sick pay for the full length of time they take to recover?

Last edited:

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I'm disabled & walking in the snow is really painful, added to the fact that I risk falling over & being off work for a longer time. On Tuesday I bought all of my work home & have been ploughing away at it ever since. My boss is happy as I am safe & working.

I'm exactly the same as you Emily's Mum, except that I can't bring work home due to security restrictions. I've had to take 1 lieu day and 2 a/l days off so far, and really worried what is going to happen if it goes on much longer!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While it wouldn't solve everyone's problems, it would help if compnaies bothered to invest in proper remote working solutions. Thankfully I work for a company that actually tries to give as many employees as possible home working contracts because they've seen the savings it can bring and the increase in producitivity. Some companies don't help themselves.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I am interested in your company’s policy here.
What if the employee refuses to take holiday?
What action will your company take against these employees?
What if an employee has no holiday entitlement left?
What will your company policy be if, an employee breaks a limb in trying to get to work, will you pay them sick pay for the full length of time they take to recover?

Why should businesses (esp small ones) who are getting little or no income this week pay employees who cannot/wont go to work. Employees get so many rights now a days small businesses really suffer.

Easy answer, apply SSP rules, nothing for first three days then SSP, maybe then poeple will make more of an effort.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Well done to the Heroes who start these threads & manage to get to work.

But I think you'll find most people just go to work without the need to announce how great they are on a message board & without the need to try to belittle others, who, for whatever reason cannot go.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Why should businesses (esp small ones) who are getting little or no income this week pay employees who cannot/wont go to work. Employees get so many rights now a days small businesses really suffer.

Easy answer, apply SSP rules, nothing for first three days then SSP, maybe then poeple will make more of an effort.

I think if as you say they won't go to work then I agree, they should not be paid.
But if as you say they cannot get to work then some discussion should take place here, maybe the employee makes the time up at a later date.
But as Horsham Gull is saying that they are making employees take holidays, I really doubt this is legal.
I speak from experience here, when twenty-five years ago I walked very early in the morning to open the factory. I fell on my back and lay in the snow for an hour before I was found. Fours hours later I was in hospital taking three ambulances to get me there, due to how much gas and air each ambulance was allowed on board. Nine months later I returned to work after a lot of cost to the National Health to get me fit again in treatment costs.
My company ended up paying me full wages for the whole time I was off.
I bet they wished I had not bothered trying to get there in such dangerous conditions.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
But as Horsham Gull is saying that they are making employees take holidays, I really doubt this is legal.
QUOTE]

English employment law states that if an employee fails to attend work then the employer is not obliged to pay that member of staff.

Whilst many employers are flexible and allow staff to make the time up, they do not have to do this.

The alternative is that they don't pay the employee for the day they've not worked.

This means that as an employee for a company who aren't flexible you'll either use it as a days holiday or go without pay. Companies CAN enforce holidays on employees who are not sick and who have taken days off.

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
QUOTE]

English employment law states that if an employee fails to attend work then the employer is not obliged to pay that member of staff.

Whilst many employers are flexible and allow staff to make the time up, they do not have to do this.

The alternative is that they don't pay the employee for the day they've not worked.

This means that as an employee for a company who aren't flexible you'll either use it as a days holiday or go without pay. Companies CAN enforce holidays on employees who are not sick and who have taken days off.

What's the situation when your employers have told you not to go in (because we have no power - not because of the snow). It's not my choice not to attend so I assume we still get paid?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here