Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take down your shorts Murray, you are about to get spanked.

what will happen in this match?

• will murray get rogered

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • will roger, roger murray

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • will roger get rogered

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm watching my 2nd ever tennis match. I'm rather enjoying it now I have figured out the scoring system . Why 15, 30, 40 though? Why not 1,2,3?

The scoring system was adopted from another game called sphairistike which was played by the saliors. The games scoring system was based on the guns of the ship, being the smallest 15's, then 30's and then 40's. Also, the word "love" comes from the french "l'eouf" meaning "the egg" supposedly in relation to number 0's resembance to an egg. "Deuce" comes from the french for two "deux", meaning you have two more points to go to win the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
C'mon Murray - playing exactly as anyone who watched this tournament could see - always had a chance in this game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm watching my 2nd ever tennis match. I'm rather enjoying it now I have figured out the scoring system . Why 15, 30, 40 though? Why not 1,2,3?

Likewise. And what's love got to do with it? :tinaturner:

Edit: thanks for the explanation, ninja.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And what decides how many sets a match goes on for?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
You sound very immature. This is a great match between two very good sportsmen. Why not enjoy it for what it is regardless of whoever wins it? Both players are doing themselves proud.

I'm just having a bit of fun while watching. If you don't like it, leave.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever happens now, Murray's done himself proud and seriously rattled Federer.

Really happy I backed Murray to win BBC Sports Personality Of The Year @ 7/4 just before the start of the match... :clap:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Shame Murray could win a break point at 4 all, then this really would have been his to lose.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Whatever happens now, Murray's done himself proud and seriously rattled Federer.

Really happy I backed Murray to win BBC Sports Personality Of The Year @ 7/4 just before the start of the match... :clap:

Bradley Wiggins will probably push him if he wins the tour.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Piersa and Pavilionaire sitting in a tree,
K, I, S, S, I, N, G,
First comes love, then comes marriage,
Then comes baby in a baby carriage!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
For sure. But there will be nothing bigger in the UK sporting year, Le Tour or the Olympics included, if Murray wins Wimbledon.

I think you are probably right but you could have backed Murray at 2/1 to win today.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here