Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tablets

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Of course I know about the ipad but can anyone recommend any others. Perhaps slightly more competitive on pricing then the ipad and ipad mini.

Also I see the Kindle Fire HD has just released, a snip at £159.00. Be interested to hear some feedback on this particular tablet as well for any in the know.

Cheers

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Google nexus 7
I use mine far more than my ipad.
I've no experience of the kindle fire but I've read that the hardware is inferior to the nexus.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have an iPad and an Archos 7Ob.

I took out a second mortgage for the iPad (original v1), while the Archos cost less than £100.
The difference is obvious and you get what you pay for. But I wanted something smaller and lighter for watching stuff on the train commuting to/from work. The Archos has a micro-SD slot and a "good enough" picture so proved a better choice than the iPad - easier transfer from home PC, battery enough to do both journeys, fits in coat pocket.

All down to exactly what you are going to use the tablet for... will you be typing a lot, downloading games, playing music, watching downloads, want compatibility with itunes (all the apps I bought for my iPhone are also on my iPad), etc etc.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I bought my girlfriend the Kindle Fire HD for her birthday and I've been really impressed with it. Excellent piece of hardware for the price. Amazon sell all their Kindle hardware at near enough cost value so don't be put off thinking it's a cheap piece of kit.

The OS takes a bit of getting used to as although it's (modified) Android, the layout was a bit unfamiliar to start with. Screen quality is very good and the speakers are fantastic. Watching films is really good and I have also used it to play music whilst I'm making dinner etc. The screen is also protected by reinforced 'gorilla glass' which seems to stand up well to knocks and bumps.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I shall be investing in a Kindle Fire HD soon, look at the reviews on Amazon, non HD Fire's are on offer today (Black Friday) for £99 - but not as good as the HD.

The only poor reviews are those moaning about lack of iplayer/flash etc but there are easy workarounds/downloads.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Anybody use a Samsung Galaxy Note? Just want basic e-mail and browsing t'internet, but a bit better than my Android 2.2 number ??? Ta

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Asus Transformer Prime TF201 with keyboard docking station. Great piece of kit, has done everything it says on the tin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A nice Chinese version for £100 (I'm not joking).

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Anybody use a Samsung Galaxy Note? Just want basic e-mail and browsing t'internet, but a bit better than my Android 2.2 number ??? Ta

Yep, I've had one since April

Plus points : Great if you have shovel hands and can't get on with the midget keyboards on the Iphone etc. Portable, fits in jeans pocket (Great for discretly taking to the bog in work time for a quick game og Angry Birds) and screen size is so much better than Iphone. HD as well. Camera's not bad either.

Negative : The amount of people asking 'What the f*** is that? when you have it pressed to your ear for a phone call.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I have an iPad and an Archos 7Ob.

I took out a second mortgage for the iPad (original v1), while the Archos cost less than £100.
The difference is obvious and you get what you pay for. But I wanted something smaller and lighter for watching stuff on the train commuting to/from work. The Archos has a micro-SD slot and a "good enough" picture so proved a better choice than the iPad - easier transfer from home PC, battery enough to do both journeys, fits in coat pocket.

All down to exactly what you are going to use the tablet for... will you be typing a lot, downloading games, playing music, watching downloads, want compatibility with itunes (all the apps I bought for my iPhone are also on my iPad), etc etc.

Movies, Internet, Emails, Apps and downloading books predominantly

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I bought my girlfriend the Kindle Fire HD for her birthday and I've been really impressed with it. Excellent piece of hardware for the price. Amazon sell all their Kindle hardware at near enough cost value so don't be put off thinking it's a cheap piece of kit.

The OS takes a bit of getting used to as although it's (modified) Android, the layout was a bit unfamiliar to start with. Screen quality is very good and the speakers are fantastic. Watching films is really good and I have also used it to play music whilst I'm making dinner etc. The screen is also protected by reinforced 'gorilla glass' which seems to stand up well to knocks and bumps.

How does it work so far as Apps go? I've heard you only have access to certain apps but there are certain downloads which have a way round this. Is that the case

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Yep, I've had one since April

Plus points : Great if you have shovel hands and can't get on with the midget keyboards on the Iphone etc. Portable, fits in jeans pocket (Great for discretly taking to the bog in work time for a quick game og Angry Birds) and screen size is so much better than Iphone. HD as well. Camera's not bad either.

Negative : The amount of people asking 'What the f*** is that? when you have it pressed to your ear for a phone call.

Brilliant. Thanks for that. I have got big hands tbh, so it sounds ideal. I will now go on a 'value hunt' to find one. Cheers

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How does it work so far as Apps go? I've heard you only have access to certain apps but there are certain downloads which have a way round this. Is that the case

Have a look an the reviews on amazon, almost every one where people moan can't do this, can't do that has a reply "Well you can and here's how" but the majority give it five stars [SIZE=0.5]Screen is surposed to be better that the ipad[/SIZE]

C Man Staines

Feb 21, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Tab II 7" and 10.1" from Tesco Direct £158 & £238 respectively.
With Samsung cashback of £30/£50 making the final price £128 & £188. Very good value in my opinion.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-8gb-7-inch-white/768-8673.prd
http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-16gb-101-inch-white/140-6230.prd

Thanks for that.. I'm going to have a rethink about getting the Nexus 10 now, as this will be much cheaper.

Cash back details here for those that may be tempted: Promotions - SAMSUNG UK
T&C's: Tablet Cashback promotion Terms and Conditions

Oh & to keep Bozza happy, you can order the 10" for a pound less through the Amazon link :thumbsup:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have bought the Samsung 7" tablets for the kids for Christmas and they are excellent for the £130 quid after cashback. I'll be sticking to my iPad though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here