Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swindon Town vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Somewhat reminds of the reaction to the Chelsea game on the Chelsea forums.

I think myself lucky that a few problems have been exposed against Swindon in the League Cup pre-season.

I love the FA Cup but honestly can stand this competition, it's a cup too far. Very very rarely attend it.

I'd dump it and beef up the FA Cup so it generates more money for lower league clubs but that's another story.

Swindon won't win it and neither would we have.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We need more free kicks like that in the game. Too often it's a shot, or a cross. All teams need planned routines

Greer was turned far too easily and then just laid down for that second goal, it was embarrassing.

I see people picking up on his final ball, but where has Noone's pace gone?
Where has our ability to defend gone?
I'm not convinced with vicente as a forward

We're constantly outnumbered in the Swindon box. No chance of getting the ball to one of our players.

I said yesterday I had the impression the cups were going to be treated as they were the season we won league 1. I was surprised by the start for Kuszczak, and bruno, bridge I can see for extra game time, so the team was slightly stronger than I expected, but it didn't seem like a team that was our strongest, even accounting for injuries and absences. As such, while I'm disappointed by the defeat, and the completely confused and light weight nature of our defence, and the toothlessness of our attack, I'm not too concerned about this result in respect to our chances for the league this year.

Worst away record bar Coventry? No.

We won 6 and drew 7 for 25 away points

Ipswich 6,7 for 25
Palace 6,6 for 24
Peterborough 3,8 for 17
Bristol 5,7 for 22
Barnsley 4,5 for 17 points
Portsmouth 3,6 for 15 points
Coventry 1,6 for 9 points
Doncaster 4,4 for 16 points

You are confusing "scoring fewest away goals" which is what Coventry were worse at than us.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No CMS,Buckley, Lua Lua,Crofts or El Abd. Wayne bridge getting fit, Calderon in midfield, Vicente up front, this is our final pre season match I dont think that Gus and the players give a rats arse. let the swindon monkeys and Di canio have there day.

Jesus Christ Gus just think it or put it on a football forum dont admit it in front of TV cameras. have to admire his honesty though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
For all we know TB has told Gus not to f*** about with the tinpot cup matches and concentrate solely on the league. It will be a completely different attitude on Saturday when the serious business begins.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
When i said "we would lose because i didnt make the thread" on Page 1 - i didnt actually mean it !!!

But yeah, we need a new thread maker, BBBW has had 2 poor defeats in his last 5 topics (6-0 West Spam was the other).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
For all we know TB has told Gus not to f*** about with the tinpot cup matches and concentrate solely on the league. It will be a completely different attitude on Saturday when the serious business begins.

That's what's worrying me.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Don't think I've seen Nooney play as bad as this?? A good thing were out of it means we can concentrate more on getting promoted!! I'm sure Gus knows what we are missing! PS I would love to knockout Di Canio he is an utter prick!!

Agree, we don't want any manager showing passion for the game.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It was also the first time in twenty years we have had an average crowd of over 10.000, as well as the highest budget at the club ever and how many millions spent on transfers. Make no mistake about it, any manager worth his salt would have got us mid table last season. It was not that fantastic an achivement given the tools he had to work with. This all to easily gets forgotten.

We are Brighton & Hove Albion, not Barcelona. I really think some people struggle to remember this when setting out their idea of what our expectations ought to be.

However many millions we had to spend, whatever our average attendance was, 10th place in the toughest and most competitive league in the country in our first season back in said leagye is a far better achievement than you are making it out to be, and to write off all the progress we have made under Gus on the basis of one shitty League Cup defeat is short-sightedness at its most extreme. We will not win every game, we will not play perfectly every time out - this does not make us shit, nor our manager untalented, it makes us just like every other football team on this planet.

Were we poor tonight? Yes we were. We also had nearly half a first team, including two key creative players, missing from the lineup. Had we had those 5 players (Crofts, CMS, KLL, Buckley, El Abd) on the pitch, would the result have been different? Yes, it probably would have.

Have lessons been learnt from last season's shortcomings? Of course they have, just because they were not in evidence tonight (against, to give them their due, a good Swindon side who should do well in League One this season) does not mean they have not been learnt.

Perhaps you're the one who is too easily forgetting where this club has come from in a bloody short space of time.

D

Deleted member 2719

I hate not scoring goals
I hate conceding goals
I hate not beating lower league clubs
I hate ex Albion players scoring against us

I hate LOSING

:guns:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For all those people moaning about this result, it's worth recalling that two years ago we were knocked out of the League Cup by a team a division below us. We didn't too badly that season if I recall.

Too many JCLs on here tonight ...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
[/B]

Agree, we don't want any manager showing passion for the game.

No sports (or any people) people should display any passion, emotion or personality. It is just showing off you know and may if continued make sport too interesting for the dullard trainspotting fan.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
For all those people moaning about this result, it's worth recalling that two years ago we were knocked out of the League Cup by a team a division below us. We didn't too badly that season if I recall.

Too many JCLs on here tonight ...

People can be pissed off with a turgid performance, it hurts.

Most of realise in the grand scheme of things it does'nt matter to much but it still HURTS watching us look like a pub team on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here