Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing Versus Smoking

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
I can understand your frustration but it isn't going to change the club or the other people's attitude so you are the one who is going to have to change if it is so important to you.

It's not the whole clubs attitude, put it that way.

Smoking next to someone who obviously find it uncomfortable is complete definition of selfishness in my opinion. Self gratification at the expense of others.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
clapham_gull said:
Sorry Yorkie read my posts.

I don't care about smoking, but our father finds its very uncomfortable. I have looked into moving seats, I have taken it up with the club and the safety officer. Basically there is no guarentee that someone will just come and do the same next to us.

Where have I mentioned the health issue ? My father is elderly and in not great health. Its not him asking to move, its us thinking why the hell should he put up with this. My anger is at those around him who it is quite obvious to that he finds it uncomfortable. Surely you understand my frustration ?

Where is MY PRIDE getting in the way ?

This is about ME being pissed off that my elderly fathers comfort is completely disregarded by others. I could never bring myself to that.

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, but have you asked the people in question not to smoke during play?

A lot of smokers recognise that what they do is quite antisocial, but unless you ask them to stop they may think no-one's bothered.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
It's not the whole clubs attitude, put it that way.

Smoking next to someone who obviously find it uncomfortable is complete definition of selfishness in my opinion. Self gratification at the expense of others.

I agree. It may be over simplification but you are in a situation that you don't like. The situation isn't going to change so you may have to.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
DJ Leon said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier, but have you asked the people in question not to smoke during play?

A lot of smokers recognise that what they do is quite antisocial, but unless you ask them to stop they may think no-one's bothered.

Not directly no - well I did thank one of them for the cigarette ! Fact is if they hear an old age pensioner coughing everytime they exhale towards him how are they likely to react. I've actually looked at their response, they definately acknowledge him coughing but don't seem to care.

Their kid even asked FFS :lolol:

What if they tell me where to go ? I've caused ill feeling towards people I have to sit next to. That's the irony.

I'm gonna talk to the club again, its better in opinion that THEY write to the people and just explain the situation.

The club offered to do something like this before, getting a Steward to quietly have a word - but it didn't happen.

We're going round in circles here anyway - bring on the non smoking Falmer

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Yorkie said:
I can understand your frustration but it isn't going to change the club or the other people's attitude so you are the one who is going to have to change if it is so important to you.

Sorry but you are taking complete rubbish, the club are WRONG on this issue get your head around it. I'm not one of these 'you can't be critical of Dick Knight' characters the ones who belong to a little clique that seem to think they are somehow 'IN' with the club. Why the hell should I move and then run the risk of sitting next to another bloody smoker all game?

Dick Knight and Perry have saved the club (fair play to them but they balls up consistently on issues like this) cue the the little clique thats up their arses, I await to be flamed.

DannyBhoy

Jul 5, 2003
Burwash, East Sussex
burrish gull said:
Sorry but you are taking complete rubbish, the club are WRONG on this issue get your head around it. I'm not one of these 'you can't be critical of Dick Knight' characters the ones who belong to a little clique that seem to think they are somehow 'IN' with the club. Why the hell should I move and then run the risk of sitting next to another bloody smoker all game?

Dick Knight and Perry have saved the club (fair play to them but they balls up consistently on issues like this) cue the the little clique thats up their arses, I await to be flamed.

Here here

:clap2:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
burrish gull said:

What on earth has this got to do with Dick Knight?
What clique?

I am talking about banning smoking in the open air.
Are you going to ask Brighton council to ban smoking on the beach?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yorkie said:
What on earth has this got to do with Dick Knight?

I refer you to the first post on the thread:

"....the club safety officer said he'd like to ban smoking but the chairman smokes 40 a day so its a bit difficult."

Yorkie said:
Are you going to ask Brighton council to ban smoking on the beach?

I'm not sure I've seen reference to inconsiderate people smoking near his father on the beach. I thought we were only talking about Withdean - I'll read back to find what's going on there...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Smoking or swearing eh ? Well, I gave up smoking nearly 20 years ago and have never missed, odd I know. I haven't stopped swearing mind you.

Swearing the in Family Section, yes quite wrong and should be stopped. Elsewhere ? No f***ing way.

Smoking, well, why not ? In an eclosed place I would be unhappy but in the open it doesn't bother me and frankly I can't honestly see why it does others, especially at Withdean. But, if it winds people up that much why not make a no smoking and smoking area as some pubs do already ?

Smokers pay a lot of tax which keeps the income tax of non smokers down (obviously as well as their own). I know the anti smoking lobby with go on about the amount that smoking related diseases cost the NHS but everything I've read on the subject indicates that the tax on tobbaco is substantially hign that the burden on the NHS. As it is if you if you want to prevent people smoking you should hassle people about drinking and eating unhealthy food as they cost the NHS too. That's not mentioning any sport that can get you injured. The NHS reckons that the injuries sustained by people doing charity jumps costs far more than they raise for charity.

Keep swearing, keep smoking, it's football not the opera.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
bhaexpress said:
Smoking, well, why not ? In an eclosed place I would be unhappy but in the open it doesn't bother me and frankly I can't honestly see why it does others, especially at Withdean.

Not sure of the relevance of being out in the open, or otherwise, when it comes to football stadia. Regardless, it does not take much of a breeze in the right direction for you to be taking a lungful of smoke from your neighbour or more frequently, from my experience, from the person in front of you.

I'm not hugely anti-smoking - I really didn't mind it too much in pubs, for example, until I went to Dublin and delighted in the 'clean' air in bars and non-smokey clothes at the end of the night. When I had my first season ticket in the West Stand at the Goldstone in the early 80s, the chap in front would light up a mammoth cigar before the match and it would last him the whole game. Sitting behind him I seemed to always be in the direct line of his smoke more often than not. Maybe because of that I've always associated football and smoking together. But it's still bloody unpleasant when you are 'downwind' from a smoker for 90 minutes.

Regardless of whether or not a stand has a roof, cigarette smoke is going to affect someone sensitive to it because of the nature of seats at a football ground - all very close together.

Personally I very rarely smoke during a match, and when I do have a puff I always try to blow my smoke away from those around me.

Side note: Smoking DOES make you look cool. That is an ACTUAL fact. :smokin:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd go along with the two previous posts but as I said, maybe we should have smoking and non smoking areas, watching Brighton has always been stressful as it is !

Unlike Bozza I don't go in pubs much these days and the smoke is quite a large part of the reason.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Safeway said:
Regardless of whether or not a stand has a roof, cigarette smoke is going to affect someone sensitive to it because of the nature of seats at a football ground - all very close together.

Personally I very rarely smoke during a match, and when I do have a puff I always try to blow my smoke away from those around me.

Side note: Smoking DOES make you look cool. That is an ACTUAL fact. :smokin:

It's even cooler to have smoked and then given it up

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A solution to the problem is to sub divide the south stand into sections, family , smoking , singing , swearing. The only problem is when you take the kids with you who like smoking singing and swearing.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
seagullsovergrimsby said:
A solution to the problem is to sub divide the south stand into sections, family , smoking , singing , swearing. The only problem is when you take the kids with you who like smoking singing and swearing.

How can you have a swearing section?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can we have a wingeing section too? At double the price of course.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
dougdeep said:
Can we have a wingeing section too?
you're already in it.....:p :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here