Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing Versus Smoking

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You can stop your kid from repeating words that he/she has heard from a football game. Smoking? Irrepairable damage

Plus. I smoke, but will not smoke in that situation where at least 20 people can smell your smoke. Just wait until half time and smoke on your own. It is not hard!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
You can stop your kid from repeating words that he/she has heard from a football game. Smoking? Irrepairable damage

I wish a few on here could witness a very young child ask his mum? to stop blowing smoke in his face and get told to shut up and watch the game.

They'd change their opinion very quickly.

Perhaps he should ask the club to move.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
If the club will throw people out for swearing, then the south stand would have been near empty after called Huckerby a wanker,

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
clapham_gull said:
WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE MOVE !! ??

Two of the smokers are new season tickets holders, we've been there since Withdean opened.

But I've been a season ticket golder for 11 straight years, so can I have your seat & smoke?

:tosser:

:rolleyes:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Eddie the Seagull said:
But I've been a season ticket golder for 11 straight years, so can I have your seat & smoke?

:tosser:

:rolleyes:

We've been going alot longer than that sunshine and my fathers been there since the 60s

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Smoking is far cooler than swearing, swearing is the art of the lower class where smoking is most definatly a middle/upper class activity !!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I dont give a f*ck about people smoking. I just sit with people who suffer because of it. Yeah go on have my seat and inflict even more discomfort on the small child in front. Doesn't sound like you'd care.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
BarrelofFun said:

Plus. I smoke, but will not smoke in that situation where at least 20 people can smell your smoke. Just wait until half time and smoke on your own. It is not hard!

:clap: :clap:

I smoke and swear at football. However, I do consider myself to be sympathetic, and I rarely smoke during the game, normaly waiting until half time for a fag. Swearing though comes naturally throughout the game.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE MOVE !! ??

Two of the smokers are new season tickets holders, we've been there since Withdean opened.

I've brought this up with the club Yorkie, I'm brought it up with the Safety Officer himself.

( Originally the club offered to approach other person (and his wife who come occassionally and also smokes - so sometimes there's FOUR puffing away) but they did nothing... )

The club position is that we can move you but we can't guarentee that you won't be next to someone who smokes.

They can easily ban smoking, but unfortunately - well there seems to resistance at the top.

If I felt as strongly as you seem to and felt that it was a health hazard then I would move seats.

What is the point of moaning on Nsc if you're not prepared to move seats?
You say why the hell should you move.
Surely that is letting pride get in the way.
Which is more important to you, your pride or your health?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yorkie said:
If I felt as strongly as you seem to and felt that it was a health hazard then I would move seats.

Pride comes before a fall.

I am a smoker but would happily see a ban. I dont smoke during the game, except for half time on the running track. It is anti social! Can you honestly say that Clapham Gull would be allowed to move seats. The point he was making is that he shouldnt have tom move seats because of someone elses actions. A ban is the only answer

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BarrelofFun said:
Pride comes before a fall.

I am a smoker but would happily see a ban. I dont smoke during the game, except for half time on the running track. It is anti social! Can you honestly say that Clapham Gull would be allowed to move seats. The point he was making is that he shouldnt have tom move seats because of someone elses actions. A ban is the only answer

The club do not have to ban it. We are in the open air.

All I am saying is that if someone smoked near me and I objected then I would move.

I am an ex smoker having smoked for 26 years myself. I was brought up in a household with 3 smoking adults.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:

Sorry Yorkie read my posts.

I don't care about smoking, but our father finds its very uncomfortable. I have looked into moving seats, I have taken it up with the club and the safety officer. Basically there is no guarentee that someone will just come and do the same next to us.

Where have I mentioned the health issue ? My father is elderly and in not great health. Its not him asking to move, its us thinking why the hell should he put up with this. My anger is at those around him who it is quite obvious to that he finds it uncomfortable. Surely you understand my frustration ?

Where is MY PRIDE getting in the way ?

This is about ME being pissed off that my elderly fathers comfort is completely disregarded by others. I could never bring myself to that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
clapham_gull said:
This is about ME being pissed off that my elderly fathers comfort is completely disregarded by others. I could never bring myself to that.

Similarly, other peoples comfort would be rejected by a blanket ban on smoking.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The club do not have to ban it. We are in the open air.

Irrelevant Yorkie, completely irelevent. the club wouldn't have to ban if the stadium was enclosed !

Some in the club would like it to be banned, but.....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
pasty said:
Similarly, other peoples comfort would be rejected by a blanket ban on smoking.

For 90 minutes a fortnight.

And you won't be able to smoke at Falmer which incidently has nothing to do with the fact it has a roof.

Last edited:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
As a smoker i never used to smoke in my seat when i went to Withdean out of politeness for those around me but no-one would ever stop me shouting f*** off ref you C U N T and other such pleasantries at a football match.

:)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
Sorry Yorkie read my posts.

I don't care about smoking, but our father finds its very uncomfortable. I have looked into moving seats, I have taken it up with the club and the safety officer. Basically there is no guarentee that someone will just come and do the same next to us.

Where have I mentioned the health issue ? My father is elderly and in not great health. Its not him asking to move, its us thinking why the hell should he put up with this. My anger is at those around him who it is quite obvious to that he finds it uncomfortable. Surely you understand my frustration ?

Where is MY PRIDE getting in the way ?

I can understand your frustration but it isn't going to change the club or the other people's attitude so you are the one who is going to have to change if it is so important to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here