Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swearing Versus Smoking

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but there is a couple with a young kid who continually smoke throughout the game. The little kid gets a lung full starts crying and telling his mum to put it out but she tells him to shut up (Block H Row K by the way). I shout f*ck and c*nt because I'm at a FOOTBALL match not a mothers meeting and apparently I will lose my season ticket, can someone explain to me which is worse?

Its bloody hippocritical of the club if you ask me, when challenged on this the club safety officer said he'd like to ban smoking but the chairman smokes 40 a day so its a bit difficult.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I would rather people swear then breathe in other peoples cancer intake

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Language is appalling, but it's genuinely accepted as part of football i think.

Smoking however contributes to killing people, and should be banned from all grounds imho

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
If you take the passion way (not that there is any at Withdean) I will stop going to football. The smoking thing is open to argument at Withdean because its in the open but my dad who has astma gets a lung full ever week as well. Because its bloody all seater you can't choose to move away which is what we'd like to do. If yo're going to have a fag at least have the decency to do it at half time.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Football is for the working class man.Always has been always will be so swearing is part and parcel of it

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Working class *coughs up cucumber sandwich and lets monocle fall into tea*

I'm all for baning smoking in stadiums, but never swearing.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This government will bring in legislation so that in a couple of years time smoking will be banned in all public places. Just in time for when Falmer is ready for occupation. Will the club use plain clothes stewards to enforce a no smoking environment at Falmer ? Or will we be scrutinised by cctv cameras with operators who can lip read to see if we are swearing or not ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
burrish gull said:
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but there is a couple with a young kid who continually smoke throughout the game. The little kid gets a lung full starts crying and telling his mum to put it out but she tells him to shut up (Block H Row K by the way). I shout f*ck and c*nt because I'm at a FOOTBALL match not a mothers meeting and apparently I will lose my season ticket, can someone explain to me which is worse?

Its bloody hippocritical of the club if you ask me, when challenged on this the club safety officer said he'd like to ban smoking but the chairman smokes 40 a day so its a bit difficult.

Don't think too many would disagree with you, I don't.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Fully agree about the smoking. I have no problem with people swearing at football except when it happens in the family stand (as it did today). When you have a specific area for children to sit in people should really not swear - if you want to sit somewhere else. If you are afraid your child will hear swearing (ie in H block) you can always sit in the family stand.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ban them both, it wouldn't affect me. :lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kneon Light said:
Fully agree about the smoking. I have no problem with people swearing at football except when it happens in the family stand (as it did today). When you have a specific area for children to sit in people should really not swear - if you want to sit somewhere else. If you are afraid your child will hear swearing (ie in H block) you can always sit in the family stand.

Very true/

As we are in the open air there is nothing that can be done about smoking either. There isn't a roof to keep the fumes or smoke in.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
Very true/

As we are in the open air there is nothing that can be done about smoking either. There isn't a roof to keep the fumes or smoke in.

Sorry but that's not true at all. If the club (or those at the top of the club) were inclined to ban smoking in the seats they could. It really is as easy as that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
If we get Falmer it will be non smoking, no argument about that.

Of course it will. A stadium is different because with a roof then the smoke hangs around.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I get annoyed a bit by the "there no roof, so its different". Can someone point me towards some evidence that proves that a roof on a football stadium make any difference AT ALL. That's not the point. Its the fact that some selfish b**stards are sitting next to you smoking.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
Of course it will. A stadium is different because with a roof then the smoke hangs around.

Sorry I can't accept it makes the slightest bit of difference in a modern stadium. Its nothing to do with the roof. By the time it has hit the roof the smoke will have greatly diffused. Its about somebody sitting right next to you smoking.

Unfortunately smoke doesn't rise up in a completely vertical plume.

Burrish gull is my brother, we sit BEHIND three smokers and watch my dad suffer. Its quite obvious to the people in front that it bothers him. I've even said something to them, they obviously couldn't give a flying f*ck.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
clapham_gull said:
Sorry I can't accept it makes the slightest bit of difference in a modern stadium. Its nothing to do with the roof. By the time it has hit the roof the smoke will have greatly diffused. Its about somebody sitting right next to you smoking.

Unfortunately smoke doesn't rise up in a completely vertical plume.

Burrish gull is my brother, we sit BEHIND three smokers and watch my dad suffer. Its quite obvious to the people in front that it bothers him. I've even said something to them, they obviously couldn't give a flying f*ck.

Ask to move seats then. I'm sure the club will oblige.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yorkie said:
Ask to move seats then. I'm sure the club will oblige.

WHY THE HELL SHOULD WE MOVE !! ??

Two of the smokers are new season tickets holders, we've been there since Withdean opened.

I've brought this up with the club Yorkie, I'm brought it up with the Safety Officer himself.

( Originally the club offered to approach other person (and his wife who come occassionally and also smokes - so sometimes there's FOUR puffing away) but they did nothing... )

The club position is that we can move you but we can't guarentee that you won't be next to someone who smokes.

They can easily ban smoking, but unfortunately - well there seems to resistance at the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here