Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven you're pathetic. f*** off now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Wasn't Graham Taylor a pretty decent coach who did superbly with the resources available to him?
Club level, absolutely.
I suppose it automatically follows that Allardyce would be the same as Taylor in an England trackie then ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The Argentina result was a bit of a fluke - we took a fearful battering in that match during the 2nd half in particular, but yes, thats one of the handful of scalps we can claim under Sven. And we all know about the 5-1, he's lived on that result ever since. I'd expect us to beat the likes of Turkey and Denmark to behonest - they're competent but moderate opposition. As you say yourself, they're "reasonably ranked" opposition.

Heartbreaking as it is, I can take a tournament exit when we go out fighting (in a footballing sense of course). If we've been involved in an epic match, given everything, and just come up short, then I can accept that. Argentina in 98, and Germany in 90 and 96 spring to mind. Crushingly disappointing, but a heroic effort all the same. Now look at the exits under Sven. Brazil in 2002 was a meek surrender to ten men who were there for the taking. Portugal last year, I don't care how many hard luck stories people come up with over the goal that was disallowed, the fact remains that (once again) after taking an early lead, we bent over a barrel with out shorts around our ankles, and let the Portguese f*** us six ways from Sunday - we were so limp it was embarrassing, and if Portugal had a decent finisher, they'd have been out of sight within an hour.

Unfortunately, it seems we need a third example, in Germany next year, before some people will finally wake up to the fact that we are doomed to chronic underachievement under this manager. He just doesn't have what it takes.

I take issue with your Argentina assessment. Again I was there that night and my memory of the game was yes they had the possession, particualy in the second half but we had the chances. Scholes could have got one and Sheringham's volley in the second half, well I thought that was in. I do not remember them having many opportunities.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My memory of the Argentina game (as I watched it in my living room) was a tide of blue and white shirts swarming all over us, with Ortega orchestrating a relentless series of (thankfully) unsuccessful raids...we did superbly well to hold out for the win, but lets not kid ourselves, we sneaked it. Which is fine - but had they scored, then that game would have gone the way of Brazil, France, Portugal, take your pick. Sven squirming on the bench not knoiwing what to do, while we await the inevitable knockout blow having been ni a winning position.

We then saw just how average an Argentina side they were as they struggled against Sweden and Nigeria, and crashed out at the group stage. Good victory, but not Svens finest hour by any means.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:

Argentina in 98, and Germany in 90 and 96 spring to mind. Crushingly disappointing, but a heroic effort all the same.

Germany in '90. England were pretty mediocre.

Ireland 1-1
Holland 0-0
Egypt 1-0
Belgium 1-0 (a piss poor performance but scored with last kick of the game)
Cameroon 3-2 (needed 2 penalties after a poor second half (must be Sven's fault of course)
Germany 1-1

Euro '96

Switzerland 1-1 (*Cough*)
Scotland 2-0
Holland 4-1 (That was a great 15 minutes though)
Spain 0-0 (Spain had two perfectly good goals disallowed during normal time for offside).

France '98

Tunisia 2-0
Romania 1-2 (*ahem*)
Columbia 2-0

Argentina 2-2

In none of those competitions did we look world beaters, people are looking at the past with rose tinted glasses.

We all want England to do well, but the players are not techically up to it. The England U-18 team two weeks ago were played off the park by their French counterparts, until players learn to love the ball they will never move onto the next level. The only one who is up at the top (and being in Manchester I hate to say this) is Rooney.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
My memory of the Argentina game (as I watched it in my living room) was a tide of blue and white shirts swarming all over us, with Ortega orchestrating a relentless series of (thankfully) unsuccessful raids...we did superbly well to hold out for the win, but lets not kid ourselves, we sneaked it. Which is fine - but had they scored, then that game would have gone the way of Brazil, France, Portugal, take your pick. Sven squirming on the bench not knoiwing what to do, while we await the inevitable knockout blow having been ni a winning position.

We then saw just how average an Argentina side they were as they struggled against Sweden and Nigeria, and crashed out at the group stage. Good victory, but not Svens finest hour by any means.

I remember Cole having one of his better games for England, by dealing reasonably well with Ortega even though Collina had booked Cole.

The point with that game was we had the better openings and for all their possession they did very little with it.

You comment about a very average Argentina side, is a typical British attitude, taking the gloss off a decent attitude.

It makes me wonder when Sven does go, after Euro 2008 whether a few months it his successors reign you will be coming out with the same old arguments.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The team in 1990 played some great stuff, and got better and better as the tournament went on. Anyway, we can all point to any number of results and performances in the past where we've come up short under various managers. I accept that we had a shortage of world class performers certainly in the early 90's after the likes of Butcher, Walker, Lineker, Beardsley etc were past their best. But I think this current group of players is the best we've had in years, but the man in charge is just not harnassing them in the right manner. Its going to waste.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Easy 10 said:
The team in 1990 played some great stuff, and got better and better as the tournament went on. Anyway, we can all point to any number of results and performances in the past where we've come up short under various managers. I accepted that we had a shortage of world class performers certainly in the early 90's after the likes of Butcher, Walker, Lineker, Beardsley etc were past their best. But I think this current group of players is the best we've had in years, but the man in charge is just not harneassing them in the right manner. Its going to waste.

I agree that we have a better squad overall than for a few years, but they are still not World Beaters. Without Rooney the attack looks toothless (and remember it was Sven who played him ahead of Heskey at the age of 18). The defence is shakey at best because we have good defenders who daydream. The midfield lacks balance, width and the ability to go past people. Oh and keeper is average too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
It makes me wonder when Sven does go, after Euro 2008 whether a few months it his successors reign you will be coming out with the same old arguments.
Probably. I'm a moany old bastard, as you know.

Anyway, I really should get some work done now ;)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
"Hoddle could be given another crack at it."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!

Are you mad !?! or have I missed the irony while my eyes were watering??

:shootself

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just in passing, I do think the Danes are among the best fans in the world.

I've seen them at big tournaments, and they tick all the boxes. Travel in huge numbers, behind only us and maybe the Dutch/Germans; drink loads without the fights; still nicely aloof from some of the real Euro love-in victims (all the Latin countries, basically); loads of fit birds in attendance...and I could go on. You want them in a tournament.

I was at college in Sheffield in Euro 96 and went to 2 Denmark games at Hillsborough, they brought 15,000 and virtually drank the city dry with no trouble whatsoever. Top marks all round.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
The team in 1990 played some great stuff, and got better and better as the tournament went on. Anyway, we can all point to any number of results and performances in the past where we've come up short under various managers. I accept that we had a shortage of world class performers certainly in the early 90's after the likes of Butcher, Walker, Lineker, Beardsley etc were past their best. But I think this current group of players is the best we've had in years, but the man in charge is just not harnassing them in the right manner. Its going to waste.

Other than the Holland and West Germany games the team in 1990 did not exactly play great stuff. Against Ireland we were poor, we got dragged down to their level. If the story is true, for the Holland game, Robson listened to his senior players and adopted a sweeper system and we played the Dutch off the park, but had 2 goals disallowed. We reverted to type against Egypt and ground out a 1-0 win thanks to a Mark Wright goal. Belgium will I remember Scifo crashing the ball on the cross bar and then Platt with the last kick winning it.

Cameroon, will thanks goodness Lineker had learnt how to dive.

West Germany we were unlucky, if Waddle had hit the inside of the post the ball would have gone in.

The things that helped us in that tournament were the fact the press, people back home and Maggie were so anti the England side, created a seige mentality and the fact that Robson could say what he wanted about the FA as he was on his way to PSV. Also there was the Gazza factor, he had not become a mentalist at this stage.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Italia 90 was a fantastic tournament to be at! We were isolated on Sardinia for 2 weeks and played dire football to draw 1-1 with Ireland in the opening game. The highlight of the night was an almighty thunderstorm!

We did then play great football against the Dutch, and then scrapped a 1-0 win over Egypt to qualify.

Against Belgium we had a John Barnes goal ruled out for no reason and yes they did hit the post and bar. Platt came on as sub and scored and ran over in front of us in the 119 minute with a tremendous volleyed goal. I have the game on video and you can see all us lot on the floor as the seating was very steep and when we scored there was a huge surge forward. After that we survived the Rose and Crown and battle of Rimini and the team just about beat Cameroon. Its always easy to blame a poor England side, but Cameroon played some of the best football in that tournament but gave away too many fouls, penalties and basic defensive naivety to win it!

The Germany match is and always will remain a classic. England really did have NO luck on the night. The German goal was a fluke and at times we played them off the pitch.

I bet if this was 1990 then people would have been calling for Robsons head after some pretty poor friendly matches leading up to the finals. Still i expect the majority here could do a much better job then Sven.

:flameboun :flameboun :drink: :drink: :p

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I totally agree that sven is a complete useless tosser,the man is useless at motivation and tactics,as said we have superb players to pick from.

Think its time the twat fu-cked right off before the world cup:censored:

larus

Seems very strange this thread.

Some posters are saying we have no chance of winning anything as our players aren't the best in the world, yet in the same breath saying the Sven should go because we've lost 2 competitive games against Brazil & Potugal (or whatver the exact amount is). If we haven't got good playes, then he's done fantastically well.

Then other posters are saying we need to change Sven because we should be able to win things with this crop of players.

As for moivating the players. FFS, if you're playing for your country in the European/World Cup Finals, you should't need much motivation. I wouldn't.

None of us have a scooby what goes on in the dressing room. OK, last night was a friendly, but the team he put out in the second half was not that of choice. If you think it is then you are a muppet. He has to agree to limit the time on the pitch otherwise the big clubs get stroppy. It's money that has ruined the friendlies, that's all.

He may not come across as Mr Personality, but his record as England manager is very impressive. I will give him the benefit of doubt until the world cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here