Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven - will the penny finally DROP now for the Swedish Slap ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Marshy said:
Robinson

Neville
Cole

Terry
Ferdinand

SWP
Gerrard
Lampard
Cole

Rooney
Owen

And your belief that Lampard and Gerrard can play together in a flat four is based on what?

Whenever I see them together they look dreadful. They both need a holding midfielder alongside or behind them, as they get in club football. Stick them together and it's just looked awful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Easy, could you please put up your preferred team and formation with everyone fit? Just interested like....
Robinson
Neville Campbell Terry Cole
Beckham Lampard King Cole
Owen Rooney

King holding.

For me, there's a Rizla's width between Ferdinand/Terry, and Beckham/SWP.

With regard to Ferdinand/Terry, I'm pretty comfortable with either one of them, but at the moment Terry has the edge form-wise. I've always liked Sol, I think he should be a nailed-on every time, its just a question of who partners him.

Beckham or SWP is a hard one. I love the energy and pace that SWP brings, but I hesitate to drop Beckham because he has been a matchwinner so many times in the past. He still delivers some evil crosses, and is always a threat at set-pieces. The fact that SWP is a fantastic player to bring off the bench *just about* see's Beckham starting for me.

But I wouldn't need much persuading to ditch Becks for SWP...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Gerrard can showboat with the 60 yard passes at times, but more often than not it doesn't come off. And we've already got Beckham obsessed with pinging the Hollywood balls everywhere. Gerrards just not been doing it for England for some time now, so I don't see how you can claim his all-round game is more effective than Lampard. Goalscoring midfielders are gold-dust, and totally indespensible, specially when the setup is right behind them, as it was last night.

I dunno why you have to pigeonhole King into the "centreback" role. He is an adaptable player who is adept in defence as well as in a holding midfield role. Just because he plays as a centreback at Spurs, doesn't mean he's not fully capable of adjusting his game and playing just in front of the defence as well. Centreback is just a label, its what he's CAPABLE of that matters.

He reads the game
He anticipates
He blocks and tackles well
He finds space
He doesn't give the ball away
He keeps it simple

What more do you want from him in that role ? If he can do it (as he's proved) then why look elsewhere just because someone else is labelled "a midfielder".

One small issue with that - he was shite when he played in midfield for spurs

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Just about matches mine though I'd play Hargreaves in the holding role.

Wonder why we argue so much, probably because if we didn't we'd fall in love or something.

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
One small issue with that - he was shite when he played in midfield for spurs
He's amongst better players for England though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Just about matches mine though I'd play Hargreaves in the holding role.

Wonder why we argue so much, probably because if we didn't we'd fall in love or something.

:)
Yyyy....yy...you mean we're NOT in love ?

:cry:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Simster said:
:ohmy: He's f***ing TOILET.

Harsh! He's playing the holding role in front of the back 4 for Bayern this season, and seems to be getting decent reports. I think we have just failed to play him in the right way - surely not!

Just imagine if all you'd seen of Gerrard was his England performances alongside Lampard, I don't think you'd be very impressed.

I know this is a shocking revelation, but ..... I don't think Sven gets the best out of players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Robinson
Neville Campbell Terry Cole
Beckham Lampard King Cole
Owen Rooney

King holding.

For me, there's a Rizla's width between Ferdinand/Terry, and Beckham/SWP.

With regard to Ferdinand/Terry, I'm pretty comfortable with either one of them, but at the moment Terry has the edge form-wise. I've always liked Sol, I think he should be a nailed-on every time, its just a question of who partners him.

Beckham or SWP is a hard one. I love the energy and pace that SWP brings, but I hesitate to drop Beckham because he has been a matchwinner so many times in the past. He still delivers some evil crosses, and is always a threat at set-pieces. The fact that SWP is a fantastic player to bring off the bench *just about* see's Beckham starting for me.

But I wouldn't need much persuading to ditch Becks for SWP...

I think Terry has proven he is not first team for England with some woefull mistakes

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
KinkyGoebels said:
I think Terry has proven he is not first team for England with some woefull mistakes

I think Rio has proven he is not first team for Man Utd with some woeful mistakes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gritt23 said:
I know this is a shocking revelation, but ..... I don't think Sven gets the best out of players.
Another shocking revalation - levelling an accusation at Sven as if it's never happened before.

John Barnes anyone? Or Matt Le Tissier?

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
:ohmy: He's f***ing TOILET.

Yeah, course he is.

That's why Bayern Munich are all set to offer him a new contract.

People seem to forget that Hargreaves has never been asked to play in the position that he's accustomed and is just asked to cover the whole midfield area whenever he comes on for the last 20 mintues of a game of whatever. He's never going to be able to produce good form for the side unless he's given a go. He's the fittest player we've got who can pass the ball and is used to playing against quality both in Germany and in the Champions League.

Yeah, TOILET.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It did look like England could beat a top Championship team (like Derby last year) on that performance.

But fancing losing to a League One standard side in Ireland!

Things are getting better but a long way before we can beat top teams.

How are are we going to beat Togo if we get them in the World Cup? Good job Denmark are eliminated already!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
King played well enough, did the job asked of him, kept it simple etc, but he did looked like a centre back in midfield, with flash backs to Carlton Palmer.

If they go down the holding midfielder route, the player that should be the fall guy is Lampard.

Terry the peoples choice as Captain. Do me a favour whoever said that.

If fit any of Campbell, Ferdinand and Woodgate should be selected before him.

Re King - UB, you are up to your old tricks again! King is good enough to play in either position and to say he is merely 4th or 5th choice centre back is doing him an injustice.

Re Lampard - Total bollocks, he's the guy most likely to score for us after Owen and Rooney. He's also the penalty taker - i.e. the guy who's goals won us both the last 2 matches!!

Re Terry - Check the recent NSC poll on this. Terry is consistently good, are you saying Mourinho is wrong?

Re Woodgate - Is that the Woodgate with 2 in his last 3 for Real, the guy who's been injured for so long nobody knows if he's any good anymore, the guy who snorts coke off Kate Lawler's arse?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
And? if you cant play there well for your club in the long run you wont be able to do it for country.
Kings played centre-back for England and looked the part, and now he's played midfield and looked the part. I can only call it as I see it, and so far he has been VERY impressive.

Maybe you see him week-in week out at Spurs and have seen weaknesses - fair enough. But until he looks like he can't do it for England, I'll hope he stays in the side. We all knew England needed a holding midfielder - well this looks like being an all-too-rare Sven MASTERSTROKE to me. And I think King can only get better as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here