Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Uni matchday parking: block parking

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club have been in touch as they have been deluged with calls saying something like...

"I read on NSC that bumper-to-bumper block parking will be used."

...and apparently it will not other than in extraordinary circumstances, and then only for late-comers. They don't envisage having to use it.

It seems the stuff on the Uni site is incorrect.

Just posting this so people know and can make a better informed choice.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Good news... let's hope nothing too extraordinary happens then, and not too often if it does!

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Yay! Glad I got my parking ticket sorted yesterday so this is really good news. I was a bit worried that I would be blocked in on days that I'm in a rush and on days when I want to linger after the game I'd feel guilty for blocking someone else in. I know it won't be great getting away after the game but it never is after matches anywhere. Like Titanic I shall keep my fingers crossed for a lack of extraordinary events!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good news , block parking instead of blocked-in parking :lol:

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I asked for clarification via email and when I bought my parking ticket, this was in reference to the following from the Sussex university website.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/staff/newsandevents/index.php?id=8616

The relevant paragraph as follows.

On Saturdays only, the use of space will be maximized with the use of block parking - i.e. bumper to bumper and not in parking bays. Students and staff are therefore asked to move their cars from the designated car parks by the time match parking starts (12noon on the relevant Saturdays). If they don't do this, they risk their car being blocked in.

As it says - Saturdays only - well, as the majority of games are on Saturdays this is still not particularly clear. This article is a week old, so is pretty current.

Perhaps the club should get the University to clarify this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry - had to post and run.

I did suggest to the club that they get the Uni to give the same story.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone know how many exits there will be at the uni after games?

DanielT

Students and staff are therefore asked to move their cars from the designated car parks by the time match parking starts (12noon on the relevant Saturdays). If they don't do this, they risk their car being blocked in.

Some clarification on this quote too... What happens if staff/students don't move their cars? We now know they won't be blocked in, but what happens to the last paid up supporter who comes to park but now cannot because there's a Citroen 2CV there?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some clarification on this quote too... What happens if staff/students don't move their cars? We now know they won't be blocked in, but what happens to the last paid up supporter who comes to park but now cannot because there's a Citroen 2CV there?

Have you been to a university recently, it's more BMWs and Volvos these days.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I work at the Uni and for weekday games I'm not going to be able to leave my car there and go straight from work which is a bit of a pain in the arse.

I work at the Uni and for weekday games I'm not going to be able to leave my car there and go straight from work which is a bit of a pain in the arse.
Are you buying a parking ticket from the Club?

In which case, you'll be in the situation of having to drive (basically from A to A) and pay £20 a time for the privilege. Marvellous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Are you buying a parking ticket from the Club?

In which case, you'll be in the situation of having to drive (basically from A to A) and pay £20 a time for the privilege. Marvellous.

Nope... am probably going to have to find another way to get into work on evening matchdays.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I have booked a parking space for the familiarisation event on Monday and, not having been to the University before, how do you access the site. The University website states that "campus access for fans will be only via new link road through Stanmer Park". How do I get to this link road when travelling East from Worthing on the A27?

I have booked a parking space for the familiarisation event on Monday and, not having been to the University before, how do you access the site. The University website states that "campus access for fans will be only via new link road through Stanmer Park". How do I get to this link road when travelling East from Worthing on the A27?
It's the same road as the entrance to Stanmer Park - you either use the bypass, exit left on the road to Falmer Village and Woodingdean, cross the flyover, take the exit towards Brighton, return back past Falmer Station, then take the left slip road towards the Southern Water entrance, turn right, through the underpass and out the other side on to the University entrance road (not recommended). Or you leave the bypass earlier and aim for Coldean Lane, then turn left towards Lewes and then left into the University entrance road (much easier).

This WILL cause problems for people wanting to park at Sussex University for their first game at Falmer. I hope the Club have arranged for some decent signage to be put up. If not, the queues to do the U-turn via the Falmer flyover will be HORRENDOUS.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's the same road as the entrance to Stanmer Park - you either use the bypass, exit left on the road to Falmer Village and Woodingdean, cross the flyover, take the exit towards Brighton, return back past Falmer Station, then take the left slip road towards the Southern Water entrance, turn right, through the underpass and out the other side on to the University entrance road (not recommended). Or you leave the bypass earlier and aim for Coldean Lane, then turn left towards Lewes and then left into the University entrance road (much easier).

This WILL cause problems for people wanting to park at Sussex University for their first game at Falmer. I hope the Club have arranged for some decent signage to be put up. If not, the queues to do the U-turn via the Falmer flyover will be HORRENDOUS.

Does anyone know how many exits will be open post game? 1000+ cars leaving via one exit could take some time.

Does anyone know how many exits will be open post game? 1000+ cars leaving via one exit could take some time.
I think the plan is to get everyone out the way they came in (via the Stanmer Park road). Otherwise there will be a conflict with the cars leaving Bennetts Field and using the Falmer flyover to escape.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

LB, you used to be very pro getting the club to Falmer, but now its built you seemed to revel in any anticipated travel problems as if you actually want it to fail, why is this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here