Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Uni matchday parking: block parking

LB, you used to be very pro getting the club to Falmer, but now its built you seemed to revel in any anticipated travel problems as if you actually want it to fail, why is this?
I very much DON'T want it to fail.

But it seems to me to be quite clear that there will be travel problems that could have been avoided, with better planning and earlier preparation.

I also think it is important that, as consumers of the wonderful product that we are now being offered, fans should ask for the matchday experience to be a good one. It's not a lot to expect cars to be properly directed into the car park, surely?

I'm sorry, but I think Insider's answer to my ATC question is one that lets the fans down.

Travelling to the University Car Park from the west

"Not a club issue I am afraid" is the equivalent of saying the Club isn't interested in avoiding pre-match delays to its customers. Unacceptable, as far as I am concerned, particularly when the Club has set up a Travel Management Group that is supposed to be resolving transport problems. The proposal that I have made - proper signing - is one way to achieve this.

All I'm suggesting is that fans from the west and north who drive to the car park at Sussex University should be advised to leave the bypass at the Hollingbury junction and use Coldean Lane, rather than continue to the end of the bypass and then queue to do an unnecessary U-turn over the already busy Falmer flyover. I'm trying to be positive.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I very much DON'T want it to fail.

But it seems to me to be quite clear that there will be travel problems that could have been avoided, with better planning and earlier preparation.

I also think it is important that, as consumers of the wonderful product that we are now being offered, fans should ask for the matchday experience to be a good one. It's not a lot to expect cars to be properly directed into the car park, surely?

I'm sorry, but I think Insider's answer to my ATC question is one that lets the fans down.

Travelling to the University Car Park from the west

"Not a club issue I am afraid" is the equivalent of saying the Club isn't interested in avoiding pre-match delays to its customers. Unacceptable, as far as I am concerned, particularly when the Club has set up a Travel Management Group that is supposed to be resolving transport problems. The proposal that I have made - proper signing - is one way to achieve this.

All I'm suggesting is that fans from the west and north who drive to the car park at Sussex University should be advised to leave the bypass at the Hollingbury junction and use Coldean Lane, rather than continue to the end of the bypass and then queue to do an unnecessary U-turn over the already busy Falmer flyover. I'm trying to be positive.

I totally agree lord Bracknell. How can this not be the clubs problem? It is up to the club to work WITH the Highways agency to ensure the correct signs are in place.
I dont want to sound negative but my biggest worry about Falmer is that it will become so hard to get in and out of making the experience not a nice one, and then you will very quickly see our attendance drop from 25,000 to 12,000.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I totally agree lord Bracknell. How can this not be the clubs problem? It is up to the club to work WITH the Highways agency to ensure the correct signs are in place.
I dont want to sound negative but my biggest worry about Falmer is that it will become so hard to get in and out of making the experience not a nice one, and then you will very quickly see our attendance drop from 25,000 to 12,000.

Supporters have to take some personal responsibility though. Maybe looking at a map, or even undertaking a trial run, would be an idea?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Supporters have to take some personal responsibility though. Maybe looking at a map, or even undertaking a trial run, would be an idea?

That maybe so and i do agree with you however there is a large chunk of "casual" fans that live in Sussex who may just attend 2 or 3 times a season that just wont do that. And if there 2 trips are a bad experience then they may not bother to return.

It would be very easy to say well if they only go twice a season then who cares, but imo, that would be short sighted as i believe there are a large chunk of fans like this.

Also if you lived in Hastings or Chichester and came to the Amex twice a season, are you seriously telling me you would drive down for a "practice run"?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Totally agree and I will be doing a trial run today, would help if Google maps would update the current one which doesn't show the Amex or the road alterations.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That maybe so and i do agree with you however there is a large chunk of "casual" fans that live in Sussex who may just attend 2 or 3 times a season that just wont do that. And if there 2 trips are a bad experience then they may not bother to return.

It would be very easy to say well if they only go twice a season then who cares, but imo, that would be short sighted as i believe there are a large chunk of fans like this.

Also if you lived in Hastings or Chichester and came to the Amex twice a season, are you seriously telling me you would drive down for a "practice run"?

But supporters who come for two or three games only will not need to know where to park at the stadium anyhow.

DanielT

People get in massive traffic jams out of Churchill square each Saturday, but they still return because, for them, shopping is worth a bit of a queue.

For me, the football is worth a queue too

I still hope it can be worked on, but would never stop coming because of some traffic!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lord B, I think the answer Insider gave says more about your relationship with club officials now than any travel arrangements.

The problem is I think you're coming across a little bitter that you're no longer involved or consulted which I can understand. As I have said before if you were still involved would you posting these things?

Just because you're not being consulted doesn't mean that the club won't be able to make the best decisions for themselves.

Regardless of what anyone does I think we all expect travel problems.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What do you think? Have a guess.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Reading both the club's comments and the university one I get the impression:

1) The information on the university website is designed for students, and they have tried to make it sound like it will always be bumper to bumper in an effort to emphasises how important it is for students to move their cars. If they leave their cars there, that's a few spaces taken away fro the club and the fans for match day parking.
2) The club don't anticipate bumper-to-bumper to be a regular occurrence, but it is an option should they need it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...All I'm suggesting is that fans from the west and north who drive to the car park at Sussex University should be advised to leave the bypass at the Hollingbury junction and use Coldean Lane, rather than continue to the end of the bypass and then queue to do an unnecessary U-turn over the already busy Falmer flyover. I'm trying to be positive.

As one who has resorted to stumping up the £360 for this privilege... thank you for this useful information.

It wouldn't take much for the club to offer something similar - perhaps when they send out the car park tickets?

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Does anyone know if a parking permit is specific to a particular car, or if a group of 4 buy a parking permit, can you take it in turns to drive or is the person who booked the permit stuck with driving to every game?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Does anyone know if a parking permit is specific to a particular car, or if a group of 4 buy a parking permit, can you take it in turns to drive or is the person who booked the permit stuck with driving to every game?

Again, something the club could have cleared up in advance.... anyway... they didn't ask my car registration when I ordered mine... so hopefully not!

DanielT

Reading the travel info page, it sounds like a book of vouchers, so as long as you have a voucher you can park any car.

Also, I'd imagine the club will send instructions for getting there when they send out the vouchers. A printed set of directions is easier than saying it 700 times at point of sale

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
You've bought a car park season ticket for £360, I presume.

... which was described by the chap in the ticket office when I bought mine as "a book of individual parking vouchers for every game"

I think you're being a bit harsh as - in effect - the guy is right when he said he bought parking vouchers, and yes these do entitle him to park at Sussex University!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here