Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Superb day of cricket.
We have a tidy side and will take some beating.

portlander

Jul 16, 2003
Portland, Maine, USA
So nice to have something positive to see and say about Sussex cricket. Long overdue. Lots of credit to Mr. Pujara for stepping into the captaincy role, and then very much leading from the front. I hope there's a huge Hove crowd for the semi-final.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wonder what the chances are of Pujara signing a new contract. Ideally the captaincy might help.

He might like being a big fish in a small pond. India not due here till 2025

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Great fun that, even stayed outside with the drizzle to protect the drinks.

Well played Sussex, some great performances in there.

Bit gutted I can't cancel Fulham for the semi.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I had this on in the background while working from home but had to switch off for 30 minutes to concentrate on an important meeting. Pujara had just got his 50 when I turned off - half an hour later and he was past the ton.

The acceleration at the end of our innings was something special - 240 from the last 18 overs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What I liked about this team is that they really support each other and there's a great sense of a real bond. They look like they generally like playing with each other and that spirit will go a long way.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What I liked about this team is that they really support each other and there's a great sense of a real bond. They look like they generally like playing with each other and that spirit will go a long way.

Good point. A settled team that is performing well, as opposed to chopping and changing to accommodate the high maintenance “stars”. Rawlins and Alsop have excelled under Pujara’s leadership.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Its very noticeable throughout the camp Max. The first teamers treat the Academy lads as their own, giving them advice etc...and the Academy lads very much look out for the Pathway players that are coming through.
A very positive culture throughout the club that trickles down from the top...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its very noticeable throughout the camp Max. The first teamers treat the Academy lads as their own, giving them advice etc...and the Academy lads very much look out for the Pathway players that are coming through.
A very positive culture throughout the club that trickles down from the top...

I can feel it. I've been watching Sussex for 56 years and I've not seen a sense of togetherness like this before.

And I now have my ticket for next Tuesday, really looking forward to it - I love a semi

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I can feel it. I've been watching Sussex for 56 years and I've not seen a sense of togetherness like this before.

And I now have my ticket for next Tuesday, really looking forward to it - I love a semi

Helen really wants to go too - but Frankie has a 3 day game vs Surrey starting up at Blackstone that day. Typical! :facepalm:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Do you have a view on how this togetherness has come about? Clearly the players have a lower profile than the Albion’s top role models such as Rosenior, Bruno, Calderon, Murray, Dunk, etc and more lately Lallana and Welbeck, but I was wondering which players are the most influential. Pujara seems a good guy and a fantastic cricketer for the younger players to look up to and learn from.

Are the likes of Bopara and Wright still around the group?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you have a view on how this togetherness has come about? Clearly the players have a lower profile than the Albion’s top role models such as Rosenior, Bruno, Calderon, Murray, Dunk, etc and more lately Lallana and Welbeck, but I was wondering which players are the most influential. Pujara seems a good guy and a fantastic cricketer for the younger players to look up to and learn from.

Are the likes of Bopara and Wright still around the group?

Bopara and Wright are both signed up for The 100, although Bopara has hardly played and Wright not at all. I think Pujara is an absolute gem, not just as a quality batter but as someone who has helped the youngsters along: Orr, Alsop and Clark have all scored tons this season and Rawlins has played some useful knocks too, he just missed out on a century too.

And James Kirtley is a decent coach. He's still learning but Fignon's Ponytail will tell you what a good guy he is. I did my coaching certificate with him and right from the start, he was willing to learn and not play the big "I am" - even though he was a test cricketer among the club players. He's Sussex through and through too.

I also think the experiences of last year helped too. They got battered in the CC and were uneven in the One-Dayers. But even then, there were a couple of games they should have won and choked. They've learned from that.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
And James Kirtley is a decent coach. He's still learning but Fignon's Ponytail will tell you what a good guy he is. I did my coaching certificate with him and right from the start, he was willing to learn and not play the big "I am" - even though he was a test cricketer among the club players. He's Sussex through and through too.

100%.

Yards has already had a massive & positive impact on the youngsters too as hes around the 1st XI & Academy, despite only coming in December. Great guy - and its not just all about the cricket with him. When Frankie was struggling with injury and form earlier this season, Yards was having long talks with him away from the field about things...and I've had a couple of calls from him too for a chat. It made a big difference to a 16yr olds confidence levels etc. & hes been a breath of fresh air to the setup.
Behind the scenes as well they have a great S&C group with some excellent coaches....both in their field of expertise, & with man management.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
100%.

Yards has already had a massive & positive impact on the youngsters too as hes around the 1st XI & Academy, despite only coming in December. Great guy - and its not just all about the cricket with him. When Frankie was struggling with injury and form earlier this season, Yards was having long talks with him away from the field about things...and I've had a couple of calls from him too for a chat. It made a big difference to a 16yr olds confidence levels etc. & hes been a breath of fresh air to the setup.
Behind the scenes as well they have a great S&C group with some excellent coaches....both in their field of expertise, & with man management.

Yes, I was going to mention the involvement of ex-Sussex players in the coaching set-up. Grant Flower is the outsider there. I didn't know that about Yards and Frankie though, it's really good to hear. There's a lot of investment in young players at the club and it's beginning to show.

And, this season, Grizz and Tony Cottey joined the cricket committee too. So, there's a strong Sussex influence behind the scenes too,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here