Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea at the Amex – Want to Help?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
If you love the Albion's anthem, this one's for you.

An endless stream of NSC threads and posts confirms there's a growing bunch of fans wanting to do something positive about Sussex by the Sea.

True, many people are happy just to sing a four line chorus, preceded by lots of der-der-de-derrs, and that's their choice.

But while a lot of supporters are anxious to rejuvenate and celebrate our totally unique anthem, only a few know more than a line or two of the original words. So it's not surprising there are regular calls for the lyrics to appear on the big screens, get printed in the programme, and so on.

The Amex's amazing, multi-megawatts PA system has made all the difference. People can hear – many for the very first time – the Albion's anthem being belted out, pre-kick-off, at the correct speed. It's noticeable how many fans have begun to sing along with the brass band track. But also spontaneously, during the game - a whole lot slower than ever before.

We're only just starting to see the potential impact of thousands of us singing at least some of the real words as the teams run out. Think how "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", and "You'll Never Walk Alone" are always sung – slowly, lovingly, by thousands of the home fans. It's impossible for away supporters visiting Upton Park and Anfield to ignore the raw power and emotion that this kind of singing generates. And the resulting impact on the home team. Now, we can do the same. Or even better.

With 20,000 crowds every game, the potential is huge. If people want to continue singing their derr-derr-de-derrs, no problem. But the rapidly growing number of us wanting to sing SBTS properly now need an opportunity to make it happen. This video, (start 50 seconds in) provides an idea of just how good the singing can sound. With thousands of Albion fans singing the real words, the sheer impact at the Amex would be amazing.

Other posters – most recently, Jack Straw – have suggested some sort of meet-up where like-minded fans can get together and belt out our anthem properly. We'd like to kick this off informally, by getting people together at the Amex – over a pint or two of Harveys. Perhaps in the north-west corner concourse. Or, even better, in Dick's Bar, where the PA would certainly be put to good use.

But for now, the main thing is to gauge the level of interest. So, if this seems like something for you, please sign up below.

dave hylands

Feb 13, 2009
Eastbourne
COUNT ME IN, PUT THE WORDS UP ON THE SCREEN AND PRINT THEM IN THE PROGRAM FOR A COUPLE OF GAMES AND SEE WHAT THE UP TAKE IS.:rock::rock:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Like.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Now is the time for marching...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I totally agree I have been saying for weeks three stands singing SBTS when the players come out at the right speed and the right words would sound fantastic

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think the soldiers in the video clip are singing the right words - it's hard to hear exactly what's being sung but it doesn't sound like "Now is the time for marching, now let your hearts be gay..."

I'm all for joining in the singing though. Let's have the lyrics on the big screens

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Has anyone actually requested we have the lyrics on screen and/or programme to the club?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Great idea :thumbsup:

Get the words up on the big screen, so peeps can follow them bouncing ball style, or highlighted, at the right speed.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gus keeps talking about Brighton having an identity-time for us to define it properly in the stands.

It should only take a few games to get it sounding awesome. We have a great sound system at The Amex, together with 2 fantastic big screens to display the words-it should be easy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Im in, although I do like my der ders.

Get people in the habit of singing the proper words at the proper speed and your der ders will sound even better.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So no one wants the Rocky theme music back? :jester:

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
one important thing.. PEOPLE NEED TO START SINGING IN THE CORRECT OCTAVE!!

Well as I'm tone deaf I suppose I had better start taking singing lessons then! Perhaps we can have a conductor in the middle helping us keep time too!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Well done John, count me in. I'm happy to get involved with any organising (e.g. meat up, singing in he concourse(s) before/after game, singing at away games etc.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here