Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex beacon half marathon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unlucky always listen to your body. At least you had a go and six miles is a good distance. Where did the reroute go? I saw signs along London Road by Trafalgar Street and by the King Alfred I think! That bloody hail about 1pm was a right pain literally though you lot might have been finished by then.

The old course started with a loop round the North Laine, out to Hove Lagoon, back along to Roedean then down the undercliff walk and back to Madeira Drive.

This year it was a loop round the North Laine, then turn left on the seafront to do a loop along Marine Parade out to Dukes Mound, down the slope to Maderia Drive, cut back to the marina and then turn again and head back to the start line, then out to Hove Lagoon, back along the seafront and then another go round the Dukes Mound loop.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Now some kind of sense of aching satisfaction. As said by Herr Tubthumper-looking back, "perversely enjoyable" sums it up very well.

yes, after my earlier outburst I'm quite proud of myself and the aching legs are a reminder of the achievement. I'm also encouraged by the comments about the toughness off the course - running from Dukes Mound to the Lagoon was a real test and some of the gusts of wind and rain and sleet made me wonder why I was doing it.

Did anyone get verbally abused by a random male "spectator" by Hove Lawns - "you F'in w'kers, all of you. Bollox to the lot of you, you are just a bunch of w****kers" was the bit I heard - made me smile. He wasn't an old tramp, just an ordinary Brighton bloke in a black leather jacket and jeans.

Well done organisers and thanks to all the volunteers - I've never seen so many bottles of lucozade, surely they can make smaller bottles to save the waste.

Aren't those A boards in the North Laine a bugger.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Did anyone get verbally abused by a random male "spectator" by Hove Lawns - "you F'in w'kers, all of you. Bollox to the lot of you, you are just a bunch of w****kers" was the bit I heard - made me smile. He wasn't an old tramp, just an ordinary Brighton bloke in a black leather jacket and jeans.

He'd fit in very well at Withdean!!

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Now fully defrosted and have entered the eastbourne half marathon in 2 weeks. To qoute a famous old slag "lets be 'avin you" :)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
2:10:37 for me. 7 minutes quicker than my previous but I think I could have been a lot quicker if it wasn't for the conditions. The run out to Hove was nasty. Considering i did very little training this time round I'm pretty pleased. Aiming for sub 2 hours next time.

Well done to all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2:10:37 for me. 7 minutes quicker than my previous but I think I could have been a lot quicker if it wasn't for the conditions. The run out to Hove was nasty. Considering i did very little training this time round I'm pretty pleased. Aiming for sub 2 hours next time.

Well done to all.

The run out to Hove was hellish. In previous years it has been split in two and with much favorable weather...but to turn into the wind and rain at the marina and know you've got to run against this all the way to Hove Lagoon was daunting.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Managed it in 2.07.05 which isn't too bad for my first half-marathon but I was disappointed not to break the 2hr barrier (although I'd have been a lot closer if I didn't have to queue to cross the finish line!). Weather was atrocious, out to Hove was bad but the run-in along Marine Parade was a killer!

Literally gave it everything I got though, just wondering how I'm ever going to manage to run double that in under 8 weeks time!! Anyone know where I can hire a gorilla costume?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here