Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex beacon half marathon

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
awful weather conditions and I was a bit disappointed with some bits. There didn't seem to be enough mile marker signs and the narrow points on the route made it congested for quite a few miles - probably too many runners. We had to queue just after crossing the start line and again to cross the finishing line.

I'm suffering from post race blues I think!

Nevertheless a good cause and lots of good points.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
2:07 ish for me, was a bit pissed off that I had to queue to cross the finish line so my chip time will be slower. Also pissed off with some bint barging through the queue at the end as she 'Had to cross the line!'... No shit luv.

Lovely weather!

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
awful weather conditions and I was a bit disappointed with some bits. There didn't seem to be enough mile marker signs and the narrow points on the route made it congested for quite a few miles - probably too many runners. We had to queue just after crossing the start line and again to cross the finishing line.

I'm suffering from post race blues I think!

Nevertheless a good cause and lots of good points.

I struggled to find mile markers to, I saw 3 miles and 13 and that was about it. Very congested through the first 2 miles through the lanes, must have been some very slow runners starting near the front but perhaps that helped me go off slowly and save a bit for the end. I managed 1hour 41min.

D

Deleted User X18H

I buggered up my entry so did my own 13.1 miles around Hove and Brighton starting at the top of the Droveway via Hove Rec Hove Park then George Street out to Western Esplanade then back to Hove Rec one circuit, off to Brighton station past clock tower and Pavilion finishing just past Brewery Tap.

2 hrs 20 min though I am 41 and overweight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I buggered up my entry so did my own 13.1 miles around Hove and Brighton starting at the top of the Droveway via Hove Rec Hove Park then George Street out to Western Esplanade then back to Hove one circuit off to Brighton station past clock tower and Pavilion finishing just past Brewery Tap.

And a twat

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Any runner here recommend a running belt? I don't wanna spend too much but ideally I want room for 2 bottles and a couple pockets for gels and keys and whatnot.

Any recommendations?

I would go for a fairly inexpensive one, get one with room for 2 bottles and a couple of pockets for gels, keys, etc. You should find one of these in a shop.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I buggered up my entry so did my own 13.1 miles around Hove and Brighton starting at the top of the Droveway via Hove Rec Hove Park then George Street out to Western Esplanade then back to Hove Rec one circuit, off to Brighton station past clock tower and Pavilion finishing just past Brewery Tap.

HB&B

Excellent effort!

Attachments

• exhausted-runner.jpg
    exhausted-runner.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 105

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm f***ed. I did a 7 mile run before the half-marathon (my full marathon regime dictated I needed to do a 20 miler today).

All in all it was a toughy and running into the wind and rain was hideous, my clothes were drenched and I hurt my knee leaping over a huge puddle.

The new course had a lot of pinch-points and bottle-necks. In fairness to the organisers the revised track was forced upon them late in the day. I hope the council sort the undercliff out as the old layout was better. I did not see a single mile marker either.

But, I'm glad we got a medal this year and all things considered it was perversely enjoyable.

Thanks to the Sussex Beacon for organising it.....and I'll be back next year.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
I didnt finish :(. i stopped at 6 miles, my legs were starting to cramp due to the cold something i have never experienced before and i was starting to worry about being out in that weather for another hour or so. Was probably the best thing i did stopping, if you dont know im a dialysis patient and since i got home ive felt really f***ing sick from the cold so f*** knows being out for it for longer would have near killed me. Im kind of gutted that i didnt finish but pleased with myself for being sensible, hey ho onwards and upwards after all i learnt a fair bit today i can take into the next one.

One other thing when i stopped my dad was there and he had to put some gloves on me as i couldnt move my fingers!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didnt finish :(. i stopped at 6 miles, my legs were starting to cramp due to the cold something i have never experienced before and i was starting to worry about being out in that weather for another hour or so. Was probably the best thing i did stopping, if you dont know im a dialysis patient and since i got home ive felt really f***ing sick from the cold so f*** knows being out for it for longer would have near killed me. Im kind of gutted that i didnt finish but pleased with myself for being sensible, hey ho onwards and upwards after all i learnt a fair bit today i can take into the next one.

One other thing when i stopped my dad was there and he had to put some gloves on me as i couldnt move my fingers!!

The conditions were appalling so dont feel too down. I've done this particular half marathon about 4-5 times now. It was by far the worst one in terms of weather. There are a number of other half marathons coming up in Sussex, so all is not lost.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The most digging deepest experience of my life!! Felt like that Italian marathon runner from the 1908 London Olympics for the last mile.

Was on for well into late 1 30's up to 8 miles, then the weather and only 3 weeks training caught up. Still beat my only other 1/2 by 25 secs with a 1hr 42.

Agree on lack of visibility of mile markers and didnt enjoy the extended Madeira Drive monotony, but well organised.

Just hope for any beginner run/walker 5 hour plus finishers doing the Brighton marathon, conditions are a lot milder as otherwise there are going to be a number of cases of hypothermia!

Now some kind of sense of aching satisfaction. As said by Herr Tubthumper-looking back, "perversely enjoyable" sums it up very well.

D

Deleted User X18H

Unlucky always listen to your body. At least you had a go and six miles is a good distance. Where did the reroute go? I saw signs along London Road by Trafalgar Street and by the King Alfred I think! That bloody hail about 1pm was a right pain literally though you lot might have been finished by then.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was cold, wet & miserably ....but I was only watching! I also managed a big breakfast whilst you lot were splashing around. Did see one Albion shirt .

WQell done to all you mad fools (including my lad) for running. There seemed to be loads of women running too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here