Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex beacon half marathon

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Tried looking for previous running threads but for the life of me cant find them.
So hands up who is doing this? This is good prep for my first ever marathon (Brighton) in 2 months, to be fair this will be my first ever half marathon, raising money for the Sussex kidney unit. If you see a fat lad in a Swindon shirt give us a cheer or maybe a "who are ya" :)

D

Deleted User X18H

Forgot to register so doing 13 miles on the 21st anyway.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Mr Moonraker, I too am running the Half, then the Full Marathon in April, first time too. Training going well, can comfortably run 16 miles now, so fingers crossed no injuries. Am running for the Martlets

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
Bloody hell, you are way ahead of me, Im up to about 10 miles. The snow at xmas buggered my training. Good luck.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Bloody hell, you are way ahead of me, Im up to about 10 miles. The snow at xmas buggered my training. Good luck.

Dont worry,all the marathon schedules for a sub 4.30 hour marathon still only suggest 10 miles at the moment (as the Sunday run).it will creep up to 20 about 3 weeks before the race.just keep training 4 times min a week.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Did 20 miles last sunday, first time i have done that much, couldnt walk for the rest of the day..... dunno how going to get another 7 out.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yup, I'm doing this and I am NOT ready. Been hitting it a bit too hard the last few weeks. Hopefully a couple of weeks off the beer (and the smokes) and on a decent diet, ie no crap whatsoever, will see me okay.

:rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not running the Brighton half but I'm in training for London. Coincidentally I'm doing it for The Sussex Beacon. Training going well. Got a 16 miler tomorrow morning.

I think the Brighton marathon has had an effect on the city. I have certainly seen more people out running this year than I have in previous years.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
First time for about 6 years I'm not doing it :clap:

Although I have booked in for the spitfire 20 :facepalm:

I think the beacon is a hard race especially last 4 or 5 miles.

Training going OK aiming for around a four hour london marathon - last week did 16 in 2hr30mins so I may be on course. I did want to puke up after 15.5 miles though.

Why do I do it ?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I'm not running the Brighton half but I'm in training for London. Coincidentally I'm doing it for The Sussex Beacon. Training going well. Got a 16 miler tomorrow morning.

I think the Brighton marathon has had an effect on the city. I have certainly seen more people out running this year than I have in previous years.

Yep I've noticed that there are runners everywhere. Loonies !

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
First time for about 6 years I'm not doing it :clap:

Although I have booked in for the spitfire 20 :facepalm:

I think the beacon is a hard race especially last 4 or 5 miles.

Training going OK aiming for around a four hour london marathon - last week did 16 in 2hr30mins so I may be on course. I did want to puke up after 15.5 miles though.

Why do I do it ?

Course has changed this year I think, you go all the way to Rottingdean rather than prance around the Marina.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Any runner here recommend a running belt? I don't wanna spend too much but ideally I want room for 2 bottles and a couple pockets for gels and keys and whatnot.

Any recommendations?

D

Deleted member 2719

Good luck to you all.

Only ever done one half marathon in which i was filling in for my brother (who ran for Sussex) and i had no training it was the hottest day of the summer and i had done my milk round of about 10miles of walking and then went straight to the race and finished at least halfway down the runners(rather than in the top 3 which my brother would have!) the thing is i felt i had let my brother down somewhat because the commentator kept saying his name as i was running under his race number!!

I was f*cked i think i finished in about 1hr 50 about 8.5min miles i suppose.

Never ever do a half Marathon with no training.:shootself

Respect to you all.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
1.50 is a bloody good time without training - I struggle to get that with training !

D

Deleted member 2719

1.50 is a bloody good time without training - I struggle to get that with training !

I was only 21 and i suppose i had a base level of fitness as i played football, my problem was pacing myself i set off at probably 6min miles for the first 2 miles by the time the first water stop at 4 miles i had hit the wall or maybe even smashed the wall!!

So are you saying if i had cut out the women,beer and trained i could have been the next Ovett.

:lol:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I did my fist half about 7 years ago - I was running with a friend who ran about 2 hrs not much quicker than my first time. He now runs about a 1:15 half (and I run about 1:50) (rest assured even he is way off national standard)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Any runner here recommend a running belt? I don't wanna spend too much but ideally I want room for 2 bottles and a couple pockets for gels and keys and whatnot.

Any recommendations?

I'm about to go to the Jog Shop to buy one of these. Will see what range they've got.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm about to go to the Jog Shop to buy one of these. Will see what range they've got.

The Jog Shop comes with a Herr Tubthumper recommendation. Really helpful people.

Just done 16 miles in 2 hrs 4. A little of my race pace but still got 3 months to go. I used Metallica to power me round the first 10, then Robbie Williams to lift me the final 6...worked well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here