• Yum!

Votes: 79 70.5%
  • Yuk!

Votes: 33 29.5%

• Total voters

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
You know what - I looked on the internet to give my 10 year old cookery lessons from a sushi chef. They even come to your house. Trouble is, my kitchen is quite narrow so difficult to do.

Places like Moshi Moshi use plastic to roll the rice whereas others craft it by hand. How did you do yours?

I used to work at Moshi Moshi and can tell you that my very hands didn't craft our Maki using a plastic roller. Only authentic bamboo and skilled handwork were used to create the fine fare on offer. :glare:

Well at least they were in my day (about two years ago now)

Despite working there as a sous chef for a year and tasting my fair share of the goods I still bloody love the stuff.

I have a couple of friends who moved to Japan to teach English - One who was totally open to new ideas and was always very experimental with food, who couldn't wait to get there. The other who wouldn't even eat cooked fish let alone something so raw you can almost see the blood flowing. Three years on and they couldn't be more united in their belief that eating like the Japanese will add years to their life expectancy and well being.

The crying shame is that over here, as others have already mentioned, it is increasingly expensive to eat and difficult to make sure that you are eating good quality and sustainable fishing stock.

More importantly what's everyones favourite derivative:

Sashimi: - Got to be tuna, maybe Tuna Tataki (seared Tuna with a spicy Korean apple, chilli and sesame sauce.):whisky:

Sushi/Nigiri: Straightforward Prawn

Maki: Prawn Tempura

Photomaki: Unagi

Hot: Either Tempura, or simple Beef teriyaki.

Would post a more complex poll if I could be bothered but Meh.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
fishy I've been on here for a few weeks because there's naff all happening on the BOMB.

And yes, it's been a long hot summer of perving

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think we spoke about Tokyo last year?

Did you go to the Tsukiji fish market? Quite an amazing sight. The three Tokyo markets flog 5.5 billion US dollars of fish every year. Suffice to say you will get some amazing and very fresh sushi at the market cafes. I had a number of sushi breakfasts down there.

I didn't make it to the fish market. It was a business trip and I had very little time to myself, as my hosts were unbelievably hospitable. The sushi I ate was in restaurants they took me to, which were great but very formal.

From what I heard when I was there the fish market had closed off some of the auction areas to tourists.

Good trip though, I'd love to go back.

I love sushi and sashimi. Moshi used to do a Sunday deal where if you joined a membership online the plates were a quid each, not sure if that's the case anymore tho'.
We used to do noori rolls as a starter at Terre a Terre years ago, they were ridiculously popular.
Here's a really good and simple recipe for a quick tempura recipe..
Tempura batter

250ml sparkling water
250g frozen flour
1 egg yolk
A shot of vodka
Pinch salt

Freeze the flour.
Mix the yolk with the water and add the vodka.
Place mix into a shallow dish and mix in the flour.
Note: do not mix in flour too much as this works the gluten.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Never tried it till I started this job, but I'm hooked on it now. We have a fantastic Asian restaurant, which does Chinese, Teppanyaki (delicious), & Sushi.
I love it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Moshi used to do a Sunday deal where if you joined a membership online the plates were a quid each, not sure if that's the case anymore tho'.
God that deal was brilliant. You'd literally have to be rolled out into the Lanes, belching fragments of tuna and salmon onto passing children and leaving a replica of midtown Manhattan in empty plates behind you.

God that deal was brilliant. You'd literally have to be rolled out into the Lanes, belching fragments of tuna and salmon onto passing children and leaving a replica of midtown Manhattan in empty plates behind you.

MoH I'm guessing that that deal is no more?? I often thought of how I could move my pile of plates around so as to not look like I'd been a greedy bugger!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here