Sushi...

• Yum!

Votes: 79 70.5%
  • Yuk!

Votes: 33 29.5%

• Total voters

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Had some really nice sushi and sashimi in Tokyo last year. The most unusual offering was
sea urchin; like a very large, and quite tasty, bogey.

I was told that eating fugu is reasonably safe, but expensive, in Japan but seriously risky in Korea as chefs don't need a licence and there is a considerable death toll.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had some really nice sushi and sashimi in Tokyo last year. The most unusual offering was
sea urchin; like a very large, and quite tasty, bogey.

I was told that eating fugu is reasonably safe, but expensive, in Japan but seriously risky in Korea as chefs don't need a licence and there is a considerable death toll.

I think we spoke about Tokyo last year?

Did you go to the Tsukiji fish market? Quite an amazing sight. The three Tokyo markets flog 5.5 billion US dollars of fish every year. Suffice to say you will get some amazing and very fresh sushi at the market cafes. I had a number of sushi breakfasts down there.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Good Sushi is terrific, bad Sushi is just nasty.

.........is undoubtedly the right answer. Trouble is, gettin' good qual' sushi is a bit of a challenge. In supermarkets just forget it! Even the quality-food-orientated Waitrose and Mark's & Spencers are a million miles off the mark, causing misconception to abound about sushi's tastiness.

You need a proper sushi chef to prepare the proper stuff (not necessarily a Japanese native but someone who understands the importance of the correct(ly chosen AND prepared) rice.

Funnily enough I had sea bass and spicy tuna sushi from Fuji Foods in Muswell Hill this very afternoon......an sexy assault on the taste buds!

P.S To the guy who doesn't like seafood.....although there's a lot of seafood selections with sushi, sushi itself refers to the seaweed and rice arrangement rather than contents i.e it doesn't necessarily contain seafood....technically can comprise ANY foodstuff!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
can't believe no-one has mentioned the obvious spin-off benefit of taking a bird out for a sushi dinner.......

that even if you don't get your afters, you can still pretend you did, by going home with fishy smelling fingers.

luvvly jubbly.

:lol: Hello Matey....good to see you're keeping up (down?) the standards of pervy posting! :whisky:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
can't believe no-one has mentioned the obvious spin-off benefit of taking a bird out for a sushi dinner.......

that even if you don't get your afters, you can still pretend you did, by going home with fishy smelling fingers.

luvvly jubbly.

:lol: Hello Matey....good to see you're keeping up (down?) the standards of pervy posting! :whisky:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The best food and the worst food all in one. If it's not a good restaurant, then can be grim and the supermarket stuff is the sushi equivalent of eating a microwave burger. Unfortunately, all the exceptional sushi I've tried has been abroad... especially in Canada where the salmon sashimi is out of this world.

Okinami's okay in Brighton though. Their tempura prawns (ok, not really sushi) are amazing. Don't go much on sushi trains myself.. prefer to get it fresh.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You're right. Oki-nami is very good for tempura and the soda bottles with the ball in is good fun too, but I recommend the deep fried squid at Sushi Gardens. Big thumbs up from me and my 2 little boys.

Moshi Moshi is pretty good too. I could eat sushi all day every day.

Trueblue - the sushi restaurant I went to last week was absolutely out of this world - Umu in Bruton Place, London complete with head chef flown in from Kyoto. Incredible stuff.

I voted YUM. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So who amongst the sushi lovers here, makes their own at home?

We've done it a few times, although not as often as I'd like. No real idea why, either, as it's quick and easy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So who amongst the sushi lovers here, makes their own at home?

We've done it a few times, although not as often as I'd like. No real idea why, either, as it's quick and easy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You know what - I looked on the internet to give my 10 year old cookery lessons from a sushi chef. They even come to your house. Trouble is, my kitchen is quite narrow so difficult to do.

Places like Moshi Moshi use plastic to roll the rice whereas others craft it by hand. How did you do yours?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You know what - I looked on the internet to give my 10 year old cookery lessons from a sushi chef. They even come to your house. Trouble is, my kitchen is quite narrow so difficult to do.

Places like Moshi Moshi use plastic to roll the rice whereas others craft it by hand. How did you do yours?

We have a sushi rolling mat....

SushiRollingMatS7

Load up the ingredients...

futomaki-step3.jpg

And roll...

rolled2.jpg

Ta da!

2385295730_f750edc497.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We've seen them do that and thought. that's clever. Might go out and buy a book and give it a crack.

Do you do the tempura and all the other goodies you get in a Bento box?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And Nippon lager is nice as well. A few pints of Asahi in The Bees Mouth is a very nice evening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've seen them do that and thought. that's clever. Might go out and buy a book and give it a crack.

Do you do the tempura and all the other goodies you get in a Bento box?

They're well easy to roll. If I can do it - you can.

Never done tempura, no, but we don't really have any deep frying facilities at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here