Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SUPERBOWL - not so super

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
Do you count Missouri as being in the south? :)

Near enough ! Actually I have merely driven through there but seeing as it's due north of Oklahoma I think you may have a few peoblems !

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I must admit the adverts were REALLY annoying, found myself catnapping in the breaks (too much wine) , so went to bed in the 3rd quarter (stoopid) and fell asleep listening to 5 live - only to be woken up with "And the Steelers have won the Superbowl"

Marvellous Scenes :clap2:

I listened to the 5 live commentary from the off. Arlo White did quite well with help from Greg Brady (Fighting Talk) who is very knowledgable and extremely funny. It also meant I didn't have to put up with annoying ad-breaks.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simster said:
Are we allowed to think NFL is a bit shit if we do know something about it?
I'd like to think I have enough passing knowledge of the game to be able to decide it's just plain old POO, you see.
4 hours to play 60 minutes, during which the rules actually *change* a couple of minutes from full time in order to make it more interesting. A heavy reliance on the quarterback and a "team" of 48 players both get on my nerves - and as for the adverts. :nono:

Like most sports, it can be exciting if the teams are well matched - but it just doesn't do it for me.

You are entitled to an opinion but as I said earlier I've heard Americans saying the same about Cricket and I have said many imes that I can't stand Baseball but it's a matter of preference. As it is, I've watched a fair bit of Collegiate football which isn't as slow as the NFL. Odly enough, teams like Oklahoma and Texas play in bigger stadiums than some NFL franchieses. I think that Michigan State has the biggest stadium and can hold 110,000 but there may be bigger.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Simster said:
Are we allowed to think NFL is a bit shit if we do know something about it?

Of course you can. It's all about opinions. I know plenty about The Premiership, and there are plenty of occasions I think that's a pile of shite as well.

Personally I love the NFL, there are many things about the way the game is run that I wish we could have in football - but I know we can't. Doesn't mean anyone else should have the same opinion as me.

Gritt23 said:
Of course you can. It's all about opinions. I know plenty about The Premiership, and there are plenty of occasions I think that's a pile of shite as well.

Personally I love the NFL, there are many things about the way the game is run that I wish we could have in football - but I know we can't. Doesn't mean anyone else should have the same opinion as me.
Which things from the NFL do you wish we could have in football?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
Which things from the NFL do you wish we could have in football?

To be honest, just about nothing, I prefer our game the way it is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I like the beer in the stands and the hats!

And the big fatties that paint themselves all over!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They were rubbish as well. Could hardly hear Jagger, and when I did, he sounded out of breath and out of tune.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Easy 10 said:
Mentally I'm probably about 11.
Still older than 1066 though.

Yoda

English & European
Easy 10 said:
Well, I gave it a go, and the actual game itself I quite enjoyed. I've got a grasp of the rules (although I won't pretend I understood all the nuances of the game), and the bursts of action were entertaining and exciting. However, there's one big, BIG problem for me though - adverts. I'm afraid I just CANNOT watch a sport where there is a commercial break every 6 or 7 minutes, sometimes even more depending on whats happened. I appreciate the sport is tailor-made for commercials as the nature of the game is very stop-start. But it got to a point where I was absolutely all COOR'S-d out. I lasted until the 3rd quarter, but by then I'd just had enough. Despite enjoying the action on the field, I couldn't maintain interest, because every few minutes I was watching a Vauxhall advert for the umpteenth time, and it just completely RUINED it for me.

Boxing is going the same way, where they'll squeeze a couple of ads in between rounds...its sponsor saturation, and it actually spoils the whole event for me now. I suppose its the way of the world and we just have to accept it. But thank christ with (real) football, you know you're going to get two lots of 45 minutes of uninterrupted SPORT on your screen, rather than four 15 minute quarters that take three hours, with most of everything in between jus a procession of frigging adverts. Its a corporate sponsors wet dream, but a complete turn-off for me. I won't be tuning in to a live NFL game again.

What you've said there makes you realise why 'soccer' isn't big in the states. The TV compamies don't get much time to put adverts in, meaning less money to be made by showing it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It was great to see Swann and Franco from the all-conquering Steelers of the 70s.

The Steelers are a great example of a family owned club doing well and standing by the head coach-even when things weren't going too well. The could have fired the guy but didn't, chose to stay supportive and everybody was rewarded with a 5th Superbowl win for the Steelers:clap2:

Now-the hard part is going to be to get you lot interested in the CFL....

AAAARRRRRGOOOOS

Dominion300X353.gif

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here