Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SUPERBOWL - not so super

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
bhaexpress said:
Yes but you can switch off. Anybody watching the Superbowl surely has some idea of what to expect.

Exactly :clap:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
gazwag said:
Only because the ref's fixed it. Seattle would have normally gone in at 10-0 at half time but didnt due to a very marginal decision stopping their touchdown and bad decision on Pittsburgh's Touchdown which was never touching that goal line

Though I'm a Seahawks fan and thus biased, I do agree that there were several bad calls which turned the game. It's a shame when officials decide the fate of the Superbowl, which they pretty much did yesterday. Far too many questionable penalties completing changing the face of the game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
ATFC Seagull said:
I thought it broke the plane myself...

To be honest it was impossible to tell, but surely in that situation the call should have gone to the defending team, after all the attacking team had a fourth down and (relatively) simple field goal chance left

I feel (as was said on the commentry) the refs got a bit carried away with the emotion of the Bus and his last game and the fact that there were so many Steelers fans in the stadium

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ATFC Seagull said:
Easy 10, I dunno how old you are, but I'm pretty sure you've watched American footy before, so if that side of the game was going to annoy you, why did you stay up till 1-2am watching it?
Whats my age got to do with anything ?
Yes, I've watched American Football before although not normally Live. I've seen highlights packages on Sky and Channel 4, and the ad breaks are obviously spread at a more "normal" level for recorded highlights. Just thought I'd give the real thing a go last night, but in the end, the ads just wore me down. I found it a bit frustrating, as the game itself was pretty interesting, but I have a very low tolerance level for commercials, and whilst I expected plenty of breaks, I honestly didn't realise it'd be to THAT extent, so I'll probably give it a miss in future. Even if I'd Sky Plussed it and f/forwarded the ads, I don't like watching stuff like that when I know the result (almost impossible to avoid as well).

Hey ho, you live and learn.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Easy 10 said:
Whats my age got to do with anything ?

Well if you were a kid like 1066 or something, I could understand it might be your first game or something.

I just (maybe wrongly) assumed that most male adults have watched a bit of NFL at some stage.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
gazwag said:
Only because the ref's fixed it. Seattle would have normally gone in at 10-0 at half time but didnt due to a very marginal decision stopping their touchdown and bad decision on Pittsburgh's Touchdown which was never touching that goal line

Don't agree it was a fix, but Seahawks certainly failed to get the rub of the green.

The offensive pass interference was a dreadful call. Both players had their hands on each other, and there was no discernable push off from Jackson. That should have been 7-0.

The TD for Big Ben was also a rough call, BUT, it was close enough that the replay couldn't overturn it. Having said that, if the touch judge had marked it as 4th and inches, there was certainly not the evidence to overrule it and give it as a TD.

Who says you'd not get an controversy to argue about if TV replays were brought in. :D

Seattle were very unlucky, i'd certainly say the best team lost. One great run, a trick play (extremely well executed), and a questionable rushing TD. That was pretty much all they did on offense, so to collect 21 points was fortunate.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
dougdeep said:
I'd much rather watch rugby. They aren't slowed down by all that body armour either.

I absolutely hate rugby!
The reason they wear pads is because so many people were being killed by the sport in the early phases of the game

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
gazwag said:
but surely in that situation the call should have gone to the defending team, after all the attacking team had a fourth down and (relatively) simple field goal chance left

I don't think there is anything in the rules whereby either side of the ball is given any benefit of doubt. The ref calls it how he sees it, and if there is clear evidence in the replay booth that he's wrong then it get's overturned, otherwise the call on the field of play stands.

You can't have officials changing their call on the basis of "well, it would be 4th down, and they'll get the field goal anyway." Can you imagine explaining that to Bill Cowher on the sidelines?

:eek:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gritt23 said:
I don't think there is anything in the rules whereby either side of the ball is given any benefit of doubt. The ref calls it how he sees it, and if there is clear evidence in the replay booth that he's wrong then it get's overturned, otherwise the call on the field of play stands.

You can't have officials changing their call on the basis of "well, it would be 4th down, and they'll get the field goal anyway." Can you imagine explaining that to Bill Cowher on the sidelines?

:eek:

I was just thinking along the lines of cricket when the batsmen get the benefit of doubt in third umpire decisions if he cannot be entirely sure and to be honest unless the ball was microchipped nobody could tell if the ball had broken that imaginery line

Maybe they need Andy Gray with all his gizmos over there

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Been to a Gridiron match at wembley, good day out still a shit game.

BHAExpress your still a :tosser:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Easy 10 said:
Well, I gave it a go, and the actual game itself I quite enjoyed. I've got a grasp of the rules (although I won't pretend I understood all the nuances of the game), and the bursts of action were entertaining and exciting. However, there's one big, BIG problem for me though - adverts. I'm afraid I just CANNOT watch a sport where there is a commercial break every 6 or 7 minutes, sometimes even more depending on whats happened. I appreciate the sport is tailor-made for commercials as the nature of the game is very stop-start. But it got to a point where I was absolutely all COOR'S-d out. I lasted until the 3rd quarter, but by then I'd just had enough. Despite enjoying the action on the field, I couldn't maintain interest, because every few minutes I was watching a Vauxhall advert for the umpteenth time, and it just completely RUINED it for me.

Boxing is going the same way, where they'll squeeze a couple of ads in between rounds...its sponsor saturation, and it actually spoils the whole event for me now. I suppose its the way of the world and we just have to accept it. But thank christ with (real) football, you know you're going to get two lots of 45 minutes of uninterrupted SPORT on your screen, rather than four 15 minute quarters that take three hours, with most of everything in between jus a procession of frigging adverts. Its a corporate sponsors wet dream, but a complete turn-off for me. I won't be tuning in to a live NFL game again.

My advice? Record it and then skip the adverts!

Their aren't usually as many adverts, indeed in the regular season (on five) when the yanks have ad breaks, we get analysis and highlights from other games, they only have 1 or 2 ad breaks in the whole program as per norm so maybe give the regular season a try later on this year?

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
I stayed with it until the end of the first half (and watched a bit of the Stones), and like you guys, managed to pick up the rules by the time I switched off.

There is a good game in there somewhere, but I do not understand how it is so popular - TOO MANY STOPPAGES!!!

Give me a good game of footie any day. Rugby is much better as well. Especially when you tonk the Welsh like we did! I have plenty of welsh relatives, so was loving that result!

Back on the Superbowl, in that first half, Seattle were far the better side. Good to see dodgy ref's are not just confined to the UK!

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: SUPERBOWL - not so super

fake slim said:
My advice? Record it and then skip the adverts!

Their aren't usually as many adverts, indeed in the regular season (on five) when the yanks have ad breaks, we get analysis and highlights from other games, they only have 1 or 2 ad breaks in the whole program as per norm so maybe give the regular season a try later on this year?
I thought as it was the SB there might be more ads - might give a "regular" game a go some time. Chuck a fiver on at a whim so that I actually can give a toss who wins as well...there are probably worse ways to spend 3 hours. But if ALL games have SB-levels of ads, I'm gonna struggle. Fast-forwarding soon becomes a pain in the arse as well.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I must admit the adverts were REALLY annoying, found myself catnapping in the breaks (too much wine) , so went to bed in the 3rd quarter (stoopid) and fell asleep listening to 5 live - only to be woken up with "And the Steelers have won the Superbowl"

Marvellous Scenes :clap2:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
only to be woken up with "And the Steelers have won the Superbowl"

Sorry, but that bit was a dream. Trailing 14-10, Hasslebeck didn't really throw an int, you dreamt it. A hand-off to Shaun Alexander and it was 14-17 to the Seahawks. The struggling Steelers offense continued to misfired, and the Seahwks ran out easy winners in the end.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Gritt23 said:
Sorry, but that bit was a dream. Trailing 14-10, Hasslebeck didn't really throw an int, you dreamt it. A hand-off to Shaun Alexander and it was 14-17 to the Seahawks. The struggling Steelers offense continued to misfired, and the Seahwks ran out easy winners in the end.

So your text saying "Randal El makes a TD pass to Ward. 21-10, 9 mins left." was a dream too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here