Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SUPERBOWL - not so super

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I lost interest when it needed 4 players from each side in full body armour and 5 refs just for the coin toss at the start! Kind of sums the whole game up really :unclesam:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
looney said:
Been to a Gridiron match at wembley, good day out still a shit game.

BHAExpress your still a :tosser:

To use your childish metality, 'takes one to know one'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's funny isn't it ? A lot of Americans say the same thing about Cricket as some people here say about American Football and frankly it's based on a lack of knowledge of the game or just plain ignorance on both sides.

Pointless knocking something you know nothing about.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
bhaexpress said:
It's funny isn't it ? A lot of Americans say the same thing about Cricket as some people here say about American Football and frankly it's based on a lack of knowledge of the game or just plain ignorance on both sides.

Pointless knocking something you know nothing about.

I think it may appear boring to people as there were so many adverts last night - at the end of the day, when its 1 in the morning, the first half wasn't the best ever, and you're watching the Skoda Octavia advert for the 50th time it can get a bit tiring!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I think it may appear boring to people as there were so many adverts last night - at the end of the day, when its 1 in the morning, the first half wasn't the best ever, and you're watching the Skoda Octavia advert for the 50th time it can get a bit tiring!

It's the same over there but they're used to it. I honestly think that the average American doesn't have te attention span to follow real football but there again they love Ice Hockey which is faster. Mind you, and I know some people will violently disagree, I think that BAseball is one of the best cures for insomnia I know and I do speak from personal experience !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
gazwag said:
And is there really any less adverts during a C4 or Sky England Cricket match

Fair comment Gaz but to be fair I'm not a great cricket fan so I wouldn't like to say.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I went to bed when the Steelers scored to go 21-10 (think that was the scoreline). I'm presuming they did go on to win?!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mr C said:
When I move to the U.S. I'm just gonna do my best to educate them into the ways of REAL football.

Depending on where you live that shouldn't be any problem although I can tell you that in the south (Dixie) they are just not interested. Mind you they're not too enlightened on a whole range of subjects.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mr C said:
When I move to the U.S. I'm just gonna do my best to educate them into the ways of REAL football.

You might just have to, in my experience of living in the States it was hard enough trying to get tickets for NFL pre-season friendlies, let alone regular season games. If you wanted to watch the MLS on the other hand........

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Virgo's Haircut said:
Speaking of NFL. Does anyone on here subscribe to NASN on Sky?

Yep. But only for baseball and NFL, so my cancellation has just come through.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
So your text saying "Randal El makes a TD pass to Ward. 21-10, 9 mins left." was a dream too?

Good point, well made.

That really was a top play!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
gazwag said:
I was just thinking along the lines of cricket when the batsmen get the benefit of doubt in third umpire decisions if he cannot be entirely sure and to be honest unless the ball was microchipped nobody could tell if the ball had broken that imaginery line

Maybe they need Andy Gray with all his gizmos over there

That's simply not the ruling in NFL. The guys on the field make a decision which can only be overturned in the booth if there is clear evidence to show the decision made was incorrect.

Once the guy has given the TD the fact that "nobody could tell if the ball had broken that imaginery line" meant it was not going to be overturned.

I think the way it works is spot on. You get a decision which is only changed if proved to be wrong. Seems perfectly fair to me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are we allowed to think NFL is a bit shit if we do know something about it?
I'd like to think I have enough passing knowledge of the game to be able to decide it's just plain old POO, you see.
4 hours to play 60 minutes, during which the rules actually *change* a couple of minutes from full time in order to make it more interesting. A heavy reliance on the quarterback and a "team" of 48 players both get on my nerves - and as for the adverts. :nono:

Like most sports, it can be exciting if the teams are well matched - but it just doesn't do it for me.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Simster said:
Are we allowed to think NFL is a bit shit if we do know something about it?

No, you have to be a time served veteran of at least five years to criticise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here