Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SUPERBOWL - not so super

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I gave it a go, and the actual game itself I quite enjoyed. I've got a grasp of the rules (although I won't pretend I understood all the nuances of the game), and the bursts of action were entertaining and exciting. However, there's one big, BIG problem for me though - adverts. I'm afraid I just CANNOT watch a sport where there is a commercial break every 6 or 7 minutes, sometimes even more depending on whats happened. I appreciate the sport is tailor-made for commercials as the nature of the game is very stop-start. But it got to a point where I was absolutely all COOR'S-d out. I lasted until the 3rd quarter, but by then I'd just had enough. Despite enjoying the action on the field, I couldn't maintain interest, because every few minutes I was watching a Vauxhall advert for the umpteenth time, and it just completely RUINED it for me.

Boxing is going the same way, where they'll squeeze a couple of ads in between rounds...its sponsor saturation, and it actually spoils the whole event for me now. I suppose its the way of the world and we just have to accept it. But thank christ with (real) football, you know you're going to get two lots of 45 minutes of uninterrupted SPORT on your screen, rather than four 15 minute quarters that take three hours, with most of everything in between jus a procession of frigging adverts. Its a corporate sponsors wet dream, but a complete turn-off for me. I won't be tuning in to a live NFL game again.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
3 1/2 hours for an hours play v 1.45 for an hour and a halfs play.

No contest.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
looney said:

No contest.

Hate to correct you Looney but in fact the actual game time is sixty minutes, four fifteen minute quarters. The main thing about the overall time that takes to play is TV advertisng which is what really pays for the teams. You watch a collegiate game (always played on a Saturday) their games are much faster as doe to the fact they tend to be telivised regionally and there's a whole more games played across the IS they have a lot less advertising and thus take a lot less time to play although they still take a whole lot longer than an hour.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Hate to correct you Looney but in fact the actual game time is sixty minutes, four fifteen minute quarters.

"3 1/2 hours for an hours play "
60 minutes= an hour

:tosser:

bhaexpress said:
Hate to correct you Looney but in fact the actual game time is sixty minutes, four fifteen minute quarters. The main thing about the overall time that takes to play is TV advertisng which is what really pays for the teams. You watch a collegiate game (always played on a Saturday) their games are much faster as doe to the fact they tend to be telivised regionally and there's a whole more games played across the IS they have a lot less advertising and thus take a lot less time to play although they still take a whole lot longer than an hour.

So when Looney says

looney said:

No contest.

He's actually right then?

3 1/2 hours air time for 1 hours play (60 minutes Frank ;) ) is a piss take. Yes, advertisers love it but I'm amazed that TV audiences put up with it. Well I would if it wasn't an american sport, where they would love it as they wont have to shift their carcasses off the sofa for 4 hours just cos they're watching the game. :rolleyes:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I enjoy the actual sport, but it is so unbelievably money driven.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd much rather watch rugby. They aren't slowed down by all that body armour either.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Personally, I think it's a fantastic sport, and last night was a very enjoyable game. Not a classic, but the game was in the balance until Hasslebeck threw that interception when 14-10 down.

It's not gonna appeal to everyone but that's sport for you, they are all different. In my case, I love the breaks, as it builds the tension. The breaks generally come either at the end of a passage of play - change of possession - or when a team calls a time out.

In the first instance it's an opportunity to ponder what's happened and think about what adjustments may follow. In the second instance, a time out has probably been called because the game is at a crucial stage and the delay just builds the tension.

Alternatively Easy, just watch the game on Sky+ and fast forward the breaks. If you enjoy the action, then technology will take care of the rest.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gritt23 said:
Personally, I think it's a fantastic sport, and last night was a very enjoyable game. Not a classic, but the game was in the balance until Hasslebeck threw that interception when 14-10 down.

Only because the ref's fixed it. Seattle would have normally gone in at 10-0 at half time but didnt due to a very marginal decision stopping their touchdown and bad decision on Pittsburgh's Touchdown which was never touching that goal line

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gritt23 said:
Alternatively Easy, just watch the game on Sky+ and fast forward the breaks. If you enjoy the action, then technology will take care of the rest.
I'd need about 3 packs of Duracells to get through the average game though. And my thumb would be in BITS by the end.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To be honest boys, just don't feckin watch it then.

Maybe if people who didn't appreciate the sport didn't insist on tuning in for the Superbowl, those of us who do follow it wouldn't have to put up with that patronising "international" commentary for people who don't know the rules.

Easy 10, I dunno how old you are, but I'm pretty sure you've watched American footy before, so if that side of the game was going to annoy you, why did you stay up till 1-2am watching it?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
gazwag said:
Only because the ref's fixed it. Seattle would have normally gone in at 10-0 at half time but didnt due to a very marginal decision stopping their touchdown and bad decision on Pittsburgh's Touchdown which was never touching that goal line

I thought it broke the plane myself...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
You can't fast forward live tv though can you?

Yes but you can switch off. Anybody watching the Superbowl surely has some idea of what to expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here