Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Super Bowl XLV1 New York Giants v New England Patriots - Official Match Thread***

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Disappointed about Madonna being the main spectacle.

Will try and watch as much as I can with the TV on sleep timer.

I thought I was put off the game for life watching the B52's at Withdean, but thoroughly enjoyed my Wembley experience a few years ago. Particularly the pre-match party (tailgate or something) and chatting to the cheerleaders.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Strange that you go straight to rugby. No-one has mentioned rugby at all - why not say "It is nowhere near as good as curling"? Or handball?

As a long-time follower of American football (and for the record someone who has played rugby as well), the one thing I cannot STAND is the automatic comparisons to rugby all the time. They are completely different sports with different skill sets, techniques, everything.

To be fair the balls are the same shape!

And as a Rugby League fan from my youth oop north the idea of six tackle/4down then hand over the ball does have some similarities.

I dont know about totally different skill sets, I have often wondered how some star rugby players would have done in the NFL for example Jason Robinson, who I saw in both codes of Rugby would surely have made it as a Running Back or at very least a Kick/Punt Returner?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NBC have a 5 hour preview before the game even starts. Good atmosphere in New York at the minute with just over 2 hours to go, New Yorkers are really getting in the party mood. Always amuses me at the Super Bowl parties when most people are more interested in stuffing their faces than watching the game. Even if you think it’s a crap game there’s no denying the passion of the supporters.

Go Giants!!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To be fair the balls are the same shape!

And as a Rugby League fan from my youth oop north the idea of six tackle/4down then hand over the ball does have some similarities.

I dont know about totally different skill sets, I have often wondered how some star rugby players would have done in the NFL for example Jason Robinson, who I saw in both codes of Rugby would surely have made it as a Running Back or at very least a Kick/Punt Returner?

I think there's no doubt that someone like Jason Robinson, had they been born in America, would have been a cracking NFL player. But then, that's athletes being athletes. I reckon most footballers would have been cracking rugby players if they had gone that way as a youngster However, I think you only have to see how players struggle to switch codes in rugby to see a transition wouldn't be easy. The tackling is completely different, and that's really the only thing that translates at all to be honest.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Wasnt Wilkinson offeed stupid amounts of money after the world cup win to go to the US and be a kicker with one of the teams?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Wasnt Wilkinson offeed stupid amounts of money after the world cup win to go to the US and be a kicker with one of the teams?

I expect some sort of publicity stunt was suggested, but I'd be surprised to be honest if he was really offered much money up front. Kicker is one position where there are already too many players floating around, and I don't think kicking field goals, kick-offs or punting is really that transferable from the rugby kicking game. I spose punting is a bit like tactical kicking from hand, but the ball is much more different than you'd think. Field goals are being held, and you have the time issue (think how long Wilko used to take to line up a penalty/conversion), and not sure there is really anything in rugby like an NFL kickoff. Wilkinson is obviously a bit of a unique talent but he'd have to adjust massively, there'd be no guarantees he'd be any good, etc etc...

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
As a Jets fan the best result would be both teams killing each other.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Puppy Bowl - literally home-seeking puppies playing American football - that precedes it is only marginally less preposterous than the game but it's fun enough. You have to support the New England Patriots as if your life depends on it in this part of the world, it's against the law not to.

So, with that in mind, I shall be lending my support to Vince Wilfork and his many colleagues:

vince-wilfork-2009-11-18-23-12-49.jpg

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
On the subject of US Football, we're hoping to go to the States later this year and I would love to go to a game. Anyone been and know how easy / difficult it is to get tickets?

It depends on where you are going. Much like the premier league football here, some places are eaiser to get tickets than others. If you are in Florida, it's easy to get tickets in Tampa or Jacksonville. For more popular teams then it's worth keeping an eye on the websites as some only put a small number of tickets on general sale.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The Puppy Bowl - literally home-seeking puppies playing American football - that precedes it is only marginally less preposterous than the game but it's fun enough. You have to support the New England Patriots as if your life depends on it in this part of the world, it's against the law not to.

So, with that in mind, I shall be lending my support to Vince Wilfork and his many colleagues:

vince-wilfork-2009-11-18-23-12-49.jpg

Such a fine example of an athlete at the peak of his game. :lolol:

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Any live streams for this?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't really pay much attention to anyting other tan games most weeks, so, who are favourites to win and who are fan favourites?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I know, but my Sky has been down all day, havnt been able to have any telly all day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here