Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland to make derisory bid for Bridders

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think this is a bit of a non-story. Sunderland are not going to have a lot to spend in January and what they desperately need right now is not another defensiveplayer. They need creativity as they cant score! Bridcutt will be well down their list.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
But what's the point in selling players, just so they can be replaced? If you can get better, great, but we have players that know our game, know the rest of the team, and can perform now. Replacing them is a gamble, and even if the replacements do fit with our style etc, it will take time, and cost us points.

I'm not saying it's a great idea to sell them. I would love both to stay, but I'm just saying if they want to leave, it may not be an absolute disaster if they go. We've got to within a sniff of the play of places largely without their help.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not saying it's a great idea to sell them. I would love both to stay, but I'm just saying if they want to leave, it may not be an absolute disaster if they go. We've got to within a sniff of the play of places largely without their help.
Fortunately we don't have to completely agree. I think it would be a disaster if Ulloa left. I'm not sure Ince is ready to play every game either, so it's not great that we could lose Bridcutt, but I think he's easier to replace than Ulloa. We have done well to get some points without them, but we haven't been able to score much without him.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
That's poor speculation. I also do not think that Oscar would make him Captain if that were the case.

You can never doubt his tenacity or commitment to the team. However, as I've said before, Saturday was proof that he is suited to a certain slower style of play and that's why I fear he may struggle at a higher level.

If he goes though, good luck to the lad...he deserves it.

Okay thats fine but the person who told me this is someone that everyone who goes to the home games sees EVERY game, as he told me that if listened to every rumour or supposed done deal, you would have different squad every season. But he really believes he is gone.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Bridcutt has been a very good player for us,and good luck to him. I am sure Mr Bloom will get what the club wants. I will watch Liam's career with interest as i just feel,apart from his height,is his lack of pace,against the very best,anything over 2ml plus ad ons IMO will be a fair price.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Fortunately we don't have to completely agree. I think it would be a disaster if Ulloa left. I'm not sure Ince is ready to play every game either, so it's not great that we could lose Bridcutt, but I think he's easier to replace than Ulloa. We have done well to get some points without them, but we haven't been able to score much without him.

Agree with you. Ulloa is the player I fear losing. Also kuszczak.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The other thing about Bridcutt apart from him bottling challenges is that he gave the ball away more on Saturday than I have ever seen in one match. He played numerous longer passes forward that rarely got to their target. His game is all about short sideways passing, I don't think he's got the ability to hit 30/40-yard balls or to move the ball at pace, which seem to be features of Oscar's game. Gus' style allowed him all the time he wanted to be on the ball and dictate the slow build-up, but even if he was fully committed I don't really see him fitting in anywhere near as well with Oscar's approach as he just isn't suited to it.

True, most of the games he's played this season he's been guilty of doing that. He definitely doesn't look as effective playing the Oscar way. If we could get around £3.5 to £4 mil that would be reasonable business.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Especially strikers, anyone care to enlighten me as to the last time a team got promoted having sold and lost their best striker during the season that they went up?

I don't think any team that has any sort of desire to get promoted sells it's main striker in January.

Can't think of one that has.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
[/B]
I'd take anything over £3.5m. We have a ready made replacement in The Rohan and the funds would allow us to strengthen our options up front, or maybe bring in a younger option in the back four.

Do we really need to tinker with one of the best defences in the league? ???

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Done deals, he's on the way out definitely !!! I know we talk buckets loads of poo on here, me more than most. But let's get real and show Tony Bloom some respect. If and only if he does go it won't be cheap, and if it's to Gus it's going to be top dollar.
At present with an almost fit squad we can compete well in the championship and when Leo starts causing havoc in opposition defences I see us at least making the playoffs. I imagine the board will not in anyway move forward in January by weakening our playing staff. They are smarter than that..... I think ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here