Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sullivan to Millwall

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Can't believe he's gone to Millwall. If they had gone up then yes but they are in the same division as us FFS!!

Defo could have gone to a Championship team.

I don't think he'd shown he was that good just yet. Think Millwall is a decent move for him though, top 10 club and reckon he can get himself into that side. Hope the kid does well.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Very pleased that he has got a contract. It can be very difficult for a keeper.
Great shame that he was released by BHA. I'm sure if Paul Crichton had stayed, it wouldn't have happened.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good luck to Sully. A pity that he was here at the wrong time when RS wants to bring in a new goalie with FDM as the back up keeper with the experience rather than youth on his side.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Good luck to him, shame to see him go especially as he is a fan but hopefully he will push on and go on to be a top keeper

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agreeing with everyone else above, I think this says more about Kuipers than Sullivan to be honest.

Kuipers will be number 2 next season. Not wishing to have three "first team" keepers on the books, Sullivan was easier to ship out.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even if the rumours are true and we are going to a keeper who is better than Sully or Kuipers, we haven't got one yet - I'd have been happier keping Sully just in case the new super keeper's move to us gets sidetracked on the way. A one year contract wouldn't have cost that much, would it? - and we could still defray the cost even furtehr by loaning him out, or even selling him in the January window.
Still, he's gone. Shame - but good luck to the lad at Millwall. I hope the other youngsters shipped out get deals soon too.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Sullivan Set for the Den
Posted on: Tue 02 Jun 2009
By Tim Dudding

Former Albion keeper John Sullivan is set to sign for play-off runners-up Millwall.

The 21-year-old, who made 17 appearances for the Seagulls before being released at the end of last season, will complete his move to the Den on 1st July.

Sullivan will now be aiming to challenge Lions regular David Forde for the number one spot.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "It's brilliant news for me. Hundreds of players were released at the end of the season, so just to get a club is fantastic - and for it to be a club like Millwall is even better.

"Millwall got to the play-off final and were unlucky not to win it, but hopefully we can mount another challenge this year and try to get into the Championship.

"The manager (Kenny Jacket) said he had seen me play and he thinks I have ability, so I'm just going to work hard and try to prove myself.

"It's sad to leave the club that I grew up supporting, but I always knew really that I would have to move on to further my career, so I can't wait to get going at Millwall."

Sullivan was a product of Albion's highly successful youth system, and he was keen to pay tribute to the backroom staff who have helped develop his career so far.

He said, "I'd like to thank Martin Hinshelwood, Dean Wilkins and Vic Bragg for all the help they gave me, as well as the goalkeeping coaches John Keeley, Paul Crichton and Tony Godden, who were all brilliant towards me.

"I'd also like to say thanks to all the fans who wished me well when I was in the team. People used to stop me in the street and tell me I was doing well, and that meant a lot to me."

These were nice words from John - sad to see you go - think you did well last season and erany anothjer contrat with us - Think this could be a mistake letting you go

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not at all. Releasing Sullivan will be shown to be a MASSIVE mistake in years to come.

When I said I was waiting for you to bite, I was referring to the following bait left out by Walt;

Originally Posted by Walt Jabsco:
I would rather have kept Sullivan and got rid of Kuipers. More of a long-term option between the sticks and much cheaper.

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Agreeing with everyone else above, I think this says more about Kuipers than Sullivan to be honest.

Kuipers will be number 2 next season. Not wishing to have three "first team" keepers on the books, Sullivan was easier to ship out.

I agree.

Flinders!

Wikipedia says he was released on 6th may.

More info anybody? please.

Last edited:

chairman

Mar 5, 2009
lostwithiel cornwall
good luck john, you deserve a good break and all that hard work will show its dividends. A gentle giant who is brighton through and through, from those early days as a young boy on the supporters coach to away games to being there and being voted man of the match we thank you john and wish you all the best in the future and i will look forward to seeing you pull on that england jersy in a few years you heard it here first

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
seems a bit odd that we've put the time and effort into developing a young goalkeeper - a proper albion supporting one at that - who shows potential in the first team, then let him go once his first pro contract runs out. surely we could have offered him a one year deal just to be on the safe side? he could be superb for millwall next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here