Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo, did you ever ?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Complete Badger said:
Can I just ask how the hell does the cricket version work?

I would just add to what has already been said that my main recollection is of spending most of the game trying to recover the ball from under the piano. Most of the time, I hadn't a clue where it had gone if someone actually connected well with it!

My Test Match Edition is still in storage, along with my World Cup Edition of the football game and a whole load of teams.

Used to keep me amused for hours on wet weekends and the like in the pre-computer days.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Basil Fawlty said:
I know what the big rugby ball is for now, my mother just told me that you stick two players at either end, then you press a button and whoever came out first won the scrum.

THE BALL WAS CALLED A SCRUM DEVICE. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

tell your mum she's wrong.

You put the players either side of the huge ball, which had holes at the side and a hole at the top.

You put the ball in the top hole and by magic it would drop out of the side and if it touched your player it was your play!

seconds of endless tedium

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hiney said:
Had a MASSIVE set with loads of teams, floodlights, fence round the pitch and all sorts of other stuff.

We used to have a Saturday morning league - all taken VERY seriously

Marvellous isn't it

Yeah the same here...we even used to VIDEO the games as well!!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
did anyone else get the astroturf pitch in the early 80s?

I begged for it as a present one Christmas but then it never got played on because it wouldn't roll flat and my Dad wasn't the type to get the plywood and tacks out... :nono:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Moshe Gariani said:
did anyone else get the astroturf pitch in the early 80s?

I begged for it as a present one Christmas but then it never got played on because it wouldn't roll flat and my Dad wasn't the type to get the plywood and tacks out... :nono:
Me! Me!

Alright, I got it about 10 years ago, but it's still better than the fabric pitch WHEN it lays flat.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
My Brother bought the Celtic 1967 Subbuteo team. I bought the Albion team and then the Rangers team. He then bought the Blackpool orange team. My earliest recollection were of Albiona dn Rangers frequently thrashing Celtic. I then stamped on them and broke Billy McNeil's legs and decapitated their goalkeeper (Simpson). Luckily I got away with it as it was a cetrtain life sentence (even for a then 11 year old).
And that's why I support the Albion and then Rangers and he supports Celtic and is such a sad person.
There is no excuse for anyone being born in Brighton and supporting as their first team anything other than the famous BHA.

TNBA

TTF

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Theatre of Trees said:
Ignore WW that was Test Match which wasn't made by Subbuteo and is a different game.

subcric2.jpg

Basically the bowler has a small metal bit on the back of his base which you flick downwards to bowl the ball. Your opponent will hold the bat in his hand and try to hit it.

Boundaries are self explanatory but if it pulls up short you use the traingle to measure the number of runs. If the ball falls within one turn of the triangle then the fielder is allowed to flick the ball toward the wicket to try and run out the batsman.

Catches are made by the hit ball falling into the cups on the bases of the fielder.

That sounds brillant fun. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

The Pitch Roller looks brillant.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Used to have tournies with the mates and make a day out of it with copious amounts of beer and BBQ's:clap2:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The thing that PISSED ME OFF about Subbuteo was that I used to try to flick my players (as per the rules), which meant that they often did a lot of unintentional 'running off the ball' in wide, looping, circular patterns. Whilst my mate who provided the regular opposition, used to 'shove' his players, which gave much better ball control and unimpeded breaks on goal.

I always believed my team to be the 'moral victors', regardless of the score :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here