Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo, did you ever ?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Had a MASSIVE set with loads of teams, floodlights, fence round the pitch and all sorts of other stuff.

I got rid of it when I moved house and have regretted it ever since.

We used to have a Saturday morning league - all taken VERY seriously

Marvellous isn't it

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Large One said:
THE RULES

At least, these are rules I play(ed) to.

Probably should have read them when I got the game..:D

Ooh, I also had Police Horses (no horse shit, sadly), and a TV station/camera crew:clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
THE DELL, anyone?

deanesh_david_nair_from_malaysia.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Basil Fawlty said:

I had that...i just couldn't be bothered to paint the fans.

Oh, and a scoreboard with bits of paper for each team name!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Basil Fawlty said:
SubbuteoTMCricketBP.JPG

:bowdown: :bowdown:, that looks awesome.

I've got that still. Sets like these come up on ebay all the time, sometimes its better to buy the pieces individually.

Still have all my old stuff which wasn't broken by nealing on them, the one thing I refused to let my parents throw out when they moved.

Perhaps we ought to have a competition some day as a REMF fundraiser.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
The Complete Badger said:
Can I just ask how the hell does the cricket version work?

Assuming it's the same principle as the more recent game i had....

You pull a bit of string on the end of the bat to 'swing' it (like a pendulum, quite hard to explain!)...the bowler rolls the ball down a small ramp to be hit.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The Complete Badger said:
Can I just ask how the hell does the cricket version work?

Ignore WW that was Test Match which wasn't made by Subbuteo and is a different game.

subcric2.jpg

Basically the bowler has a small metal bit on the back of his base which you flick downwards to bowl the ball. Your opponent will hold the bat in his hand and try to hit it.

Boundaries are self explanatory but if it pulls up short you use the traingle to measure the number of runs. If the ball falls within one turn of the triangle then the fielder is allowed to flick the ball toward the wicket to try and run out the batsman.

Catches are made by the hit ball falling into the cups on the bases of the fielder.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
my brother and I had a set and our mum broke most of it one day walking striaght over the pitch. My brother also had striker. You used to push the players head which in turn shot a leg out to kick the ball.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Withdean Wanderer said:
Assuming it's the same principle as the more recent game i had....

You pull a bit of string on the end of the bat to 'swing' it (like a pendulum, quite hard to explain!)...the bowler rolls the ball down a small ramp to be hit.

That was a different game. [Explanation edited out so as not to repeat what Theatre of Trees put - he beat me to it!

You were also supposed to be able to alter the angle of the little triangle in the bowlers base to make the ball swing or spin.

You could get quite realistic scores but the run rate was always amazing, 6 an over was pretty defensivce bowling!

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Theatre of Trees said:
Ignore WW that was Test Match which wasn't made by Subbuteo and is a different game.

Apologies, although I did indicate I wasn't sure....and it was still a bloody good game:clap:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Loved it, as kids in the winter when it was too dark to kick a football in the street we played it all the time.

we had a pitch stuck down to a piece of plywood to keep it smooth - superb - however when I played away games at my mates house I found the crinkles caused by lack of a board (the pitch being simply thrown down on the carpet) affected my game badly!

We used the bigger balls - smaller ones came in much later along with the complete useless contraption that took long throws. I also had the red plastic pitch surrondings with advertising boards.

Most of my teams ended with about 6 or 7 men, the rest being about half their original size when you tried to glue them back together.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Bought it, played it loved it, knelt on most of it ..... and now I'm buying a whole load of teams that I used to own, from Ebay. I've built up quite a collection again, and play it with my son.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here