Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sub-standard comedy

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Well, I don't know too much about Partridge as I only watched a couple of episodes and didn't really like it... Cant say much about "The Office" either, only watched 1 episode and it was utter toilet so never went back.

Dear oh dear. If you barely know Partridge and The Office, you're not really in a position to be commenting on modern comedy. :thud:

PS Mind Your Language is cheap on DVD these days.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Extras is dire. It's not so much the comedy as the premise itself. Who in the name of the sweet baby Jesus would find watching the life of a jobbing actor funny?

I agree. Always felt it was more of a forum for RG to moan about his struggles to make it in comedy and then to moan about being famous once he had made it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is still good comedy coming out but the proliferation of channels has diluted the quality.

I love Frankie Boyle, Lee Mack, Sean Lock, Dave Spikey, Jimmy Carr on the panel shows, I think Simon Amstell is hilarious on NMTB, Horne and Cordon are good value too.

I'm a massive Partridge fan and loved Steve Coogan in Saxondale, I've also enjoyed Catherine Tate, Gaving and Stacey.

One of the more recent trends is for stand-up comics to do more tours and less TV work. The likes of David Baddiel, Peter Kay, Lee Evans can rake in the cash on tour and still get mainstream exposure on a panel show to keep their presence up.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Dear oh dear. If you barely know Partridge and The Office, you're not really in a position to be commenting on modern comedy. :thud:

PS Mind Your Language is cheap on DVD these days.

Wouldn't call Partridge modern and despite what the majority say I wouldn't call "The Office" comedy.

I think I'll stick to Dads Army, OFAH, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder & Gavin & Stacy.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
What makes you laugh is a very individual thing.

Recent stuff that made me chuckle includes Lab Rats, The IT Crowd, Extras, The Mighty Boosh, QI, Mock The Week, Black Books, Never Mind the Buzzcocks.

But there hasn't been much that's got close to Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army, Hancock's Half Hour, Not Only But Also, Monty Python and even old kids classics like Do Not Adjust Your Set.

I'd still largely rather settle down with DVDs of Seinfeld, Frasier, Taxi or Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Better go away and write one, I guess ...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Stripes, I like your Avatar. My favourite joke of his was

" I got off the plane and began walking through the airport terminal. There was loads of shouting and screaming behind me and a lot of banging. I looked back and realised I'd forgotten to undo my seat belt" - Brilliant.

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
The Kevin Bishop Show Ch4 friday night is excellent you will laugh your bollocks off.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Stripes, I like your Avatar. My favourite joke of his was

" I got off the plane and began walking through the airport terminal. There was loads of shouting and screaming behind me and a lot of banging. I looked back and realised I'd forgotten to undo my seat belt" - Brilliant.

my favourite is...from memory..."you know that feeling you get when you're leaning back on a chair and you start to fall backwards but you catch yourself just before you fall? i feel like that all the time..."

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
The Kevin Bishop Show Ch4 friday night is excellent you will laugh your bollocks off.

biggest pile of shit i've seen in years. typical sketch: man invents telescope then gets friend to look through it and lo and behold he's looking at a birds tits. i could see it coming from miles off but thought that no-one could do such a lame gag. how i laughed as i reached for the remote to turn this pile of steaming turd over. bring back on the buses, til death us do part, blackadder, ofah and porridge

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Well I like it a lot and like Charlie Sheen very much but then again I am a cheap and shallow person so its no suprise really.

oh get over it, you big POOFTER. honestly, i have never known anyone bang on so much about people taking the piss out of them on an internet forum.

people take this piss and occasionally call you a wanker...you think they are pretentious and you don't care what they think....WE GET IT.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if mentioned already, but I would like to throw Lab Rats into the mix. I would love the BBC to refund the time I wasted watching that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They wouldn't be allowed to. It would be deemed way too politically incorrect. Same with Dad's Army.

The PC brigade have played a massive part in the downward slide of British comedy.

Which is of course and utter complete bollocks.

Little Britain, League of Gentlemen, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, Brass Eye ?

PC ? NONE OF THE ABOVE would have got on British television in the 70s or even 80s.

If Dad's Army "wouldn't be allowed", how then can the BBC repeat it year, after year, after year.

Even it ain't half hot mum gets a showing on UK Gold.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
biggest pile of shit i've seen in years. typical sketch: man invents telescope then gets friend to look through it and lo and behold he's looking at a birds tits. i could see it coming from miles off but thought that no-one could do such a lame gag. how i laughed as i reached for the remote to turn this pile of steaming turd over. bring back on the buses, til death us do part, blackadder, ofah and porridge

Problem is, if there ain't the people writing it, classics like the ones above don't appear out of nowhere.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
oh get over it, you big POOFTER. honestly, i have never known anyone bang on so much about people taking the piss out of them on an internet forum.

people take this piss and occasionally call you a wanker...you think they are pretentious and you don't care what they think....WE GET IT.

Mummy he's being nasty to me :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here