Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sub-standard comedy

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I used to love They Think it's All Over when Jonathon Ross, Gary Linekar and that posh cricketer (can't remembe his name now!) were in it. Hilarious banter!

And Harry Enfield in the days of Wayne Slob etc was always looked forward to.

But I can't think of anything that comes close to being as funny now. I enjoy My Family, IT Crowd etc but they just aren't as funny as comedy used to be. Unless it's cos I've got older!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Peep Show, the IT Crowd, The Mighty Boosh.

All recent TOP British comedy ranging from the gentle to the outrageous.

However, most of the stuff on mainstream channels has been completely wank. Still trotting out My Family, Dibley and all that shit. Oh my days.

Bang on. Peep Show is a little diamond (watch it on 4OD for free - all five series - wasted a day doing that a while back). I promise that you'll be hooked if you enjoy the first episode.

There is crap about (My family actors were forced to do it because they signed a contract - both of the leads wanted to pull out and were required to complete the latest series) but there always has been. Each decade gets one or maybe two totally classic comedy series and it's not fair to compare others to these really (Monty Python, Black Adder, Alan Partridge, The Office, Fast Show(?), Little Britain etc and others mentioned here) but there aren't many. There will always be a lot more crap than quality. I remember the 70's and there was some shocking crap about.

(Lab Rats - much vaunted, so I gave it a go. Bilge)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
British comedy died for me, the day they took Little & Large off our screens.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
What's happened to Peter Kay? Couldn't he write another Phoenix Nights or even a Max & Paddy.

Albion Edd

Brighton til die
Jul 5, 2003
Patcham
My favourite comedy thats been on recently is an Australian comedy called Summer Heights High on BBC 3, thought some bits were hilarious.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
My favourite comedy thats been on recently is an Australian comedy called Summer Heights High on BBC 3, thought some bits were hilarious.

Liked that very much, especially Mr G who reminded me of my own drama teacher somewhat!! Chris Lillee's flexibility is quite outstanding.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I was unfortunate enough to catch a programme on channel 4 last night called Tonightly.
a very poor mans daily show with John Stewart, utter gash

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Havent read the whole thread, so apologies if mentioned already, but I would like to throw Lab Rats into the mix. I would love the BBC to refund the time I wasted watching that.
Spot on. I happened to watch 15 minutes of that yesterday. It was absolute wank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here