Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sub-standard comedy

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Thick of It was the best thing that was on in the last couple of years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
the royle family was a wonderful, wonderful show

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. A cut above and spot on. The wedding episode was pathos at it's best.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
nibble i dont know how old you are but even some of the crap you mentioned is better than some of the truly , truly dire shite we had to endure in the seventies, dont let anyone tell you such dross as on the buses are" iconic classics" they were awful , alongside such monumental manure as bless this house and father dear father, excepting love thy neighbour of course which was truly brilliant and exceptionally funny.

All of those sit-coms were on ITV and ITV do crap sit-coms - FACT!

I can't think of one funny sit-com that ever went out on ITV*

*forgot about Alan B'stard (think it's a sit-com?) . I actually liked that one!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Have you watched Early Doors, Nibble? Best thing to have come out of the BBC for a while I reckon.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have you watched Early Doors, Nibble? Best thing to have come out of the BBC for a while I reckon.

Is it the spin off from Royle Family set in a boozer or am I thinking of the wrong thing? If so, from what I have seen of it, which is not much, it looks very good.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Is it the spin off from Royle Family set in a boozer or am I thinking of the wrong thing? If so, from what I have seen of it, which is not much, it looks very good.

Not a spin off as such, but the character that played Dave is Royle Family is in it and it's written by pretty much the same people.

Definitely worth a watch, IMO.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
:QUOTE=CHAPPERS;2523054]Not a spin off as such, but the character that played Dave is Royle Family is in it and it's written by pretty much the same people.

Definitely worth a watch, IMO.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Two and a half men with Charlie Sheen is 10 times better than any of the UK comedy shite at the moment.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I watched Little Britain Last night and In particular that sketch with the wheelchair guy in it. How can anyone laugh at something so predictable. When the likes of Catherne Tait and her charcater of that gobby school child are hailed as genius it's all over really. I just don't get it. The boat left and I wasn't on it.

I love both of the shows mentioned here but they don't even come close to Blackadder, Fawlty Towers or Only Fools & Horses.

Just shows how our standards have slipped in recent years.

Comedy is such a personal thing though. I mean, that "Office" thing with the fat bloke was the worst excuse for a comedy in the history of television in my opinion whereas I can quite happily sit there and watch Two pints or My Family.

Stumpy Tim

I love both of the shows mentioned here but they don't even come close to Blackadder, Fawlty Towers or Only Fools & Horses.

Just shows how our standards have slipped in recent years.

Comedy is such a personal thing though. I mean, that "Office" thing with the fat bloke was the worst excuse for a comedy in the history of television in my opinion whereas I can quite happily sit there and watch Two pints or My Family.

I still don't think either OFaH or Fawlty Towers were that funny to be honest. BlackAdder was just really clever humour, as was Father Ted, The Office & Extra's. Those four are my favourite British comedies in my lifetime. Honourable mention to Partridge

US - that Charlie Sheen thing is BOLLOCKS. USA comedies haven't been too bad - Friends (first 5 series), Frasier & Seinfeld were all good, but nothing to classic British comedy

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I still don't think either OFaH or Fawlty Towers were that funny to be honest. BlackAdder was just really clever humour, as was Father Ted, The Office & Extra's. Those four are my favourite British comedies in my lifetime. Honourable mention to Partridge

US - that Charlie Sheen thing is BOLLOCKS. USA comedies haven't been too bad - Friends (first 5 series), Frasier & Seinfeld were all good, but nothing to classic British comedy

Charlie Sheen - two & a half men???

If thats the one your talking about then I don't mind it. It's not laugh a minute but there are usually some saucy birds in it!!!

I liked Friends and also "Cheers" for the first few series but as you say, their comedy doesn't come close to ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here