Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker crisis, it's not looking good

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Albion manager Mark McGhee admitted today "the situation is not great" as the exhaustive search continues to find a striker to lead the cash-strapped Seagulls to Championship safety.

Burnley's visit to Withdean next Tuesday coincides with the closure of the January transfer window and Albion are running out of time to land a player with the pedigree to affect their relegation battle.

They have identified several forward targets, regarded as equivalent to what they already have.

Chairman Dick Knight is faced with the prospect of sanctioning a temporary relaxation of the club's tight wage structure in a bid to land the type of player on a short-term basis that could make the difference between staying up or going down.

McGhee was due to watch Crawley's game at Dagenham and Redbridge last night but the match was postponed.

Members of his backroom staff were out at Conference and Premiership reserve team matches.

"Strikers are all we're looking at but the situation is not great," he said. "We've got a list of half-a-dozen strikers who, with the right determination, we could go and get one or two of today but they are all more or less the same type and at the same stage as what we've got. Mark McCammon is still at the Theatre Royal playing the rear of the cow in Jack and The Beanstalk, which further reduces out options"

"We think the thing that is really going to make a difference to us is someone experienced who is not only the type of player to hold the ball up and bring others into play but has also got the character to lead from the front and dictate to the other striker, tell them where to be and when and command their attention.

"That is what we need, somebody of character. We are finding that difficult to find and when we speak to other people they all say the same thing, that those sort of players are not around."

One English-based player fitting the bill is destined for a move to a bigger club in the shape of Macclesfield, so Albion are likely to look abroad again after losing out to Derby for former Polish international Marcin Zewlakow.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well that is a suprise.I remember when they inteviewed warnock after they beat 1-0 at our place and he said then we were missing a target man.It's taken Mcghee that long to relise that.He has months to track the right players

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
algie said:
Well that is a suprise.I remember when they inteviewed warnock after they beat 1-0 at our place and he said then we were missing a target man.It's taken Mcghee that long to relise that.He has months to track the right players

Shouldn't you be beating up foreigners this time of morning?

We have bid for players but they keep turning us down because Withdean is a shitheap and we can't offer high wages.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
y2dave said:
One target is Craig Moore of Dagenham, good record and worth a gamble.

You mean Chris Moore?Craig is the one that use to play for Rangers

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
El Presidente said:
Shouldn't you be beating up foreigners this time of morning?

We have bid for players but they keep turning us down because Withdean is a shitheap and we can't offer high wages.

I think i've touched a nerve here or is it i'm not allowed to follow who i believe in?After all we live in a democracy:shootself

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
algie said:
You mean Chris Moore?Craig is the one that use to play for Rangers

Yeah thats him, shame the game was called off. I also like the idea of giving Grazioli a go, scores goals wherever he's played and can lead the line.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
KinkyHitler said:
Grazioli is not the answer.

To be fair Kinky, in this situation there really does not appear to be an answer! I think we are gonna have to take a gamble. It may pay off like Zamora, or it may f*** up like El Turi.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would rather we used what we had. I don't think someone like Grazioli will be any better than who we have at the moment.

The real answer we have at the moment is CKR. He is hungry and wants a starting berth. If he has something to prove, he will stop scoring just the spectaculars and score run of the mill goals.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
DAMANCLAY said:
To be fair Kinky, in this situation there really does not appear to be an answer! I think we are gonna have to take a gamble. It may pay off like Zamora, or it may f*** up like El Turi.

El Turi has not f***ed up. He served me the other night in the Taurus Steak Restaurant in Preston Street and was very good.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
El Presidente said:
El Turi has not f***ed up. He served me the other night in the Taurus Steak Restaurant in Preston Street and was very good.

When he served me he dropped my drink and fell to the floor holding his face.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
El Presidente said:
"the situation is not great" QUOTE]

No its not......looking since the summer and found no one.......I'm "told" DK "alledgedly" doesnt want to spend any money...maybe rightly given our financial position ......but we are being feed too much bullshit

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Striker crisis, it's not looking good

The Auditor said:
El Presidente said:
"the situation is not great" QUOTE]

No its not......looking since the summer and found no one.......I'm "told" DK "alledgedly" doesnt want to spend any money...maybe rightly given our financial position ......but we are being feed too much bullshit

Can't spend what you don't have!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BarrelofFun said:
The real answer we have at the moment is CKR. He is hungry and wants a starting berth. If he has something to prove, he will stop scoring just the spectaculars and score run of the mill goals.
I agree with that - CKR does look a quality prospect. For the life of me, I can't understand why McGhee is targetting a striker as top priority. We're desperately short of quality midfield players IMO - and Lynch can't be expected to play every game from now on at left back.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Simster said:
I agree with that - CKR does look a quality prospect. For the life of me, I can't understand why McGhee is targetting a striker as top priority. We're desperately short of quality midfield players IMO - and Lynch can't be expected to play every game from now on at left back.

I think Lynch will play LB for most of the season now. I think a striker is the most important thing, we create alot of chances. E.G. Millwall and Coventry and we have noone to finish them,

I think in order we need:- ST, CM, LB.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Re: Re: Re: Striker crisis, it's not looking good

El Presidente said:
Can't spend what you don't have!

Yep..fair enough ..but dont keep spinning us stories that we are....sorry forgot...season ticket renewals next month

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
DAMANCLAY said:
I think Lynch will play LB for most of the season now. I think a striker is the most important thing, we create alot of chances. E.G. Millwall and Coventry and we have noone to finish them,

I think in order we need:- ST, CM, LB.

Then why did he haul him off after than goal on sat? cant of done his confidence any good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here