Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strictly 'race row'

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Du Beke, a good South African surname, case closed.

Ben Elton (again): Bit of politics from Cheeky Monkey there!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My views on this fwiw, are that Du Beke should face some sort of punishment for using a racist remark in a way that was obviously intended as an insult, in the same way that any employee should expect some sort of disciplinary action if they used this sort of language in the workplace.

I don't think it was intended as an insult, more a joke that backfired.

Secondly, ordinary employees who'd done a Du Beke could expect to get a dressing down from the boss and told not to do it again. The difference is that the story's in the public domain, Du Beke is an ambassador of sorts for the Beeb and this is their flagship show.

I'm amazed, albeit pleased, that he's still in a job. Interestingly, the number of official complaints rose from 281 on Tues 6th to 426 on Wed 7th. Now given the story broke on Sunday 4th what made these 145 people wait 3 days to lodge an official complaint?

There were just 63 complaints in the 24hrs after the story broke, but this number has increased by almost 6 times over?? And how many millions people read NOTW?

Stange one this,
Is the word "paki"only offensive when utterd by a white British person?
Whilst I was living in Australia Pakistan were touring,the Tv presenters often reffered to them as the "Pakis"
Also work with a lot of Indian blokes who also use the word "paki"with alarming regularity.
Perhaps the world can only be offended by white Brits!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The irony is that "Paki" means pure in Urdu...so someone who uses it as an insult is in some warped way paying that person a compliment...though I understand that that isn't their intention.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is only one answer in all this.
Strictly to be SUSPENDED from broadcast while a full internal investigation is carried out. That means postponing this Saturdays show. We cannot risk having RACISTS on our screens.

Now....what could the BBC show in its place this early Saturday evening ?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
There is only one answer in all this.
Strictly to be SUSPENDED from broadcast while a full internal investigation is carried out. That means postponing this Saturdays show. We cannot risk having RACISTS on our screens.

Now....what could the BBC show in its place this early Saturday evening ?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Ready Steady Cook?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Surely the next show has got to be unmissable TV, even for non-Strictly viewers. What sort of a reception will he get? Will he look sheepish on the dance floor and make uncharacteristic errors? Will the public vote with their feet and vote him off? Slap my arse and call me Shirley, if I wasn't going out Saturday I'd be in front of that TV NSC!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The ones I feel sorry for are the judges. If the public show their distaste by not voting for Du Beke then he risks being in the dance-off. He and his partner are clearly NOT in the worst 2 - that's Calzaghe and Wood - but the opportunity to 'ditch' the race row couple will no doubt be the desired option from the Beeb's Top Brass.

Where will this leave the judges? Luckily for Alesha she's normally the second judge to pass their verdict and poor old Bruno is the third and - usually - decisive vote.

The preparation for this Saturday's dancing must be shot to pieces, it's unprecedented for this show. I hope that Tony and Leila produce a superb dance, but I fear it will be a black day for them...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It would be a brave couple that would try the limbo dance at the weekend...

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
What an utter f***ing nonsense. It actually seems to be the BBC thats working it to the hilt. So in a slip of the tongue someones career gets shot down for the Trevor 'Howard Halifax' Phillips brigade of scicophants and do-gooders.

Should have just called her a HAMILTON and be done with it!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I heard the recording of Brucie Fivesyth's interview on Talk Sport this morning, & his subsequent attempt - via an official statement - at a retraction/clarification.

He's finally gone senile (bless). :down:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I heard the recording of Brucie Fivesyth's interview on Talk Sport this morning, & his subsequent attempt - via an official statement - at a retraction/clarification.

He's finally gone senile (bless). :down:

yeah you have to laugh. Its classic golf club 19th hole over a few G&T's stuff. You cannot imagine for a minute he is like f***ing Lee Jasper in real life. Talk about Off Message.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I heard that Brucie interview on Talksport on my way home the other night (dunno why they were saying it was yesterday on the news, it was actually on Wednesday). Anyway, the bloke has clearly lost it. Quite apart from defending the 'paki' remark, he was vehemently in favour of bringing in technology for refs to use on ANY decions (fouls, offsides, pens).

Silly old fool.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Lee Jasper? Isn't he that bloody Darkie PC troublemaker?? :jester:

ps Programme Idea: Strictly Gone Senile presented by you-know-who. Not sure what format it'll take at the mo, but I can't see such a minor detail would put them desperate Beeb Suits off the 'concept'.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The greatest part of 'Brucie II' yesterday was the sentence that went something like: 'I have NOT been told by the BBC to put out this second statement'. Most laughable claim ever?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Lee Jasper? Isn't he that bloody Darkie PC troublemaker?? :jester:

ps Programme Idea: Strictly Gone Senile presented by you-know-who. Not sure what format it'll take at the mo, but I can't see such a minor detail would put them desperate Beeb Suits off the 'concept'.

or for the longer game, which talentless boring idiot will be canonised by the BBC in their dotage and become a national treasure next? The book is closed on Vernon Kaye so in this PC world my money is on Richard Blackwood.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel a bit for Bruce over this.

Firstly, I hope I'm that good at 81. It's pretty clear where he stands on this, he's married to an Asian so the 2 MPs who've lambasted him should be ashamed of themselves.

He probably feels he could do without this at his age, maybe he should pak it in?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm grateful he wear it - if he's got a pointy head it would be like watching a dancing moon! Shame...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here